: My poor antenna

Lady Danielle
10-26-06, 12:10 AM
Ok so Sal and I have a lade but...I have an 01 Lexus RX and I have to vent... so I went to the car wash I always go to and the broke my antenna. So pissed! They turned on the radio and lowered the volume thinking that turned it off, didnt check the antenna and snapped it. Im crazy...I already want a new car..its damaged. I know this is how crazy I think. Well the good news is they are replacing the antenna. Bad news is ..its not lexus, its some next to the tracks hidden shop. I wont go there alone! I have to wait untik FRIDAY! Stink! Are there any other loons out there like me? Damaged goods! I do love my car, although it is getting old almost 7 years old. I could get another newer used car.

ChicagoCTS32
10-26-06, 12:25 AM
a car wash ate the antenna off of my 95 cutlass supreme about a year and a half ago. It was one of those auto-retractable ones that quit working about 5 years into the car's life. It was probably its time to go.

I replaced it with a junkyard unit for $.50 :D

Stoneage_Caddy
10-26-06, 12:34 AM
oh .....lemme see ....yeah im that nuts...right now the coating is coming of my steering wheel ....second time ....ive had it redoe once ...now thats coming apart ...i dont like covers , or those leather wrap things ....i need a new wheel...and stock wont do ....so ill have to pop 300+ for a wood/leather wheel

Jesda
10-26-06, 12:38 AM
Lexus. You had it coming!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-26-06, 12:48 AM
My dad broke the antenna on my mom's 83 Olds Firenza in a car wash way back when. I've never broke an antenna at my work, but I've only put like three cars thru the wash with power antennas...

Slywun
10-26-06, 01:02 AM
Wifey did the exact same thing. You can get a replacement on Ebay for pretty cheap. We've got a 99 RX with 250K miles and are on our 3rd antenna...

CadillacGurl
10-26-06, 01:27 AM
Dad's Yukon Denail XL, snap! My dad flipped! I just had to be the only one with him that day so I got to watch him freak out and deal with his wrath all the way home.

Benzilla
10-26-06, 02:05 AM
Back in the '90s my mother snapped the antenna on her Geo Metro off at a car wash, but the radio didn't work anyway, so it didn't matter haha. That car was a piece of shit, even though she bought it new(still don't know why she wanted it) Where am I going with this? I forgot.

Also, the power antenna on my '90 Brougham stopped working a few months ago, and one night while I was at a club, some ass hole bent it in half down to the body! So I freaked and had a new one on with in a week, I can't stand broken stuff either.

Krashed989
10-26-06, 02:19 AM
Hahahahaha... Last year I forgot to lower my antenna on my eldo when I was going through a car wash. It snapped of course. After replacing it with an aftermarket antenna it would only go up when it wanted to because the ground wire wasn't connected good. Me being the lazy bum that I am didn't bother to fix it because I was only listening to my ipod anyway, but I was at the carwash again needing a wash. As I'm about to go through I look over my shoulder to see if the antenna was up. It wasn't, so I proceeded through without turning the radio off. Then in the middle of the wash it decided at the very worst time to go up! I didn't notice it untill afterwards when I got out and looked at the newly snapped antenna... All I could think of was, "Damn, I wont do that again!"... Now my car's on its second new antenna... it too has a bad ground, but I'm still a lazy bum and I listen to my ipod anyway... But I won't go through the wash with my radio on again... LOL :thepan:

illumina
10-26-06, 02:36 AM
A lot of crack addicts will break the antenas off of cars for crack pipes.

Jesda
10-26-06, 05:04 AM
I like how small cars angle the antenna along the a-pillar.

Krashed989
10-26-06, 05:56 AM
I like how small cars angle the antenna along the a-pillar.

I don't see why they cant make that long plastic strip on top an antenna though.... :hmm:

urbanski
10-26-06, 06:09 AM
did you really just say stink?

lol :p :hide:

urbanski
10-26-06, 06:10 AM
buy my V
2 caddy family :)

Zorb750
10-26-06, 06:46 AM
A lot of crack addicts will break the antenas off of cars for crack pipes.

How exactly would that work? A fixed antenna is solid, so it wouldn't work as any sort of pipe at all... The electric telescopic type retract as soon as the car is turned off.

That means the only ones they could steal for that would be the electric ones that get stuck extended?

:alchi:

dp102288
10-26-06, 10:24 AM
The car we have that aren't electric, I take them off before washing.

At least they are replacing your broken one and Sal didn't have to kill anyone.

Jesda
10-26-06, 10:53 AM
I like how some MBs have a manual antenna up-down button. Strangely, its not a one-touch. You have to hold it down while the stalk goes up or down.

slk230mb
10-26-06, 11:37 AM
I like how some MBs have a manual antenna up-down button. Strangely, its not a one-touch. You have to hold it down while the stalk goes up or down.

My dads 1990 560 SEL had that, it was awesome. I loved playing it when I was a kid.

Lady Danielle
10-26-06, 02:31 PM
What..thats crazy!

illumina
10-26-06, 03:03 PM
That means the only ones they could steal for that would be the electric ones that get stuck extended?

:alchi:

How do you think I know this? :p I've had a few ripped off before, including the ones from my '91 Seville and '86 Deville!

gary88
10-26-06, 04:33 PM
This is why I wash my car by myself :p

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-26-06, 11:25 PM
I broke one on my '92... I forget how it happened. $36 and I got a new one. Then that one got bent the slightest amount and now it won't extend all the way.

Power antennas are a pain in the ass when it rains and freezes. It either won't go up or down. There's no happy medium.

DopeStar 156
10-27-06, 02:18 AM
One of the fog lights on my Malibu is out, It bothers me.....

Jesda
10-27-06, 03:47 AM
I'm probably going to pull the fuse on mine since I use XM. Power antennas stopped being cool in 1995.

dp102288
10-27-06, 09:16 AM
My uncle's Land Cruiser has antenna up/down switch. Its an excellent idea. When I listen to a cd in my car, I don't need my antenna to go up. Its just a waste and I have the fear of it bending at highway speeds.

Our Corvette and the Galant have the antennas "spread out" over the back windshield.

CIWS
10-27-06, 02:26 PM
This is why I wash my car by myself :p

:yeah:

I only wash Katrina myself, don't take the car to any auto washes or ones where others humans touch her. If something happened I would only torture myself for being too lazy or rushed to take 30 min out of my life and do it myself.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-27-06, 08:23 PM
Our Corvette and the Galant have the antennas "spread out" over the back windshield.

Yeah Ford had that for a while too. It was embedded in the rear window on that '96 Town Car I almost bought.

davesdeville
10-28-06, 09:14 AM

My 75 has a switch to manually raise/lower the antenna too. It's a nice feature, but since the antenna has recently crapped out (down) but I still get good reception, I don't use it anymore. I'm thinking of using it as a momentary switch for nitrous. :stirpot: