: It just quits (dies) restarts fine.

csbeard
02-27-04, 06:44 PM
1998 Cadillac DeVille NorthStart. 115,000 miles.

Best car I have ever owned. Complete tune up, plugs wires, had throttle body cleaned, have had injectors cleaned.

I am traveling salesperson in car most of day. Starts fine, runs great, avg fuel 26.2 on road, 23.5 in city. Maybe one or twice a day as I come from 65 to 70 miles an hour down to a turn off the motor will just die. Hit key and restarts at once. This may not happen again for two days and then again it may happen later the same trip. I know how to get to the codes (off and warmer buttons) but donít know what I am looking for when I get their. I have had this happen when driving in traffic at 25 to 30 miles per hr. Let up on gas petal and it will stop running and I can restart at once. Any suggestion would be helpful.

After throttle body was cleaned it run much better and they did disconnect battery to reset computer.

Thanks
CSBeard

tco43
02-27-04, 11:25 PM
Your best starting place is to get a pen and paper and write down the codes you have stored. Your problem sounds familiar, but you have to start with the codes. When you have them, post them here and you'll be on your way.

BeelzeBob
02-27-04, 11:31 PM
I'll hazard a wild ass guess and recommend a new pair of crank sensors.....

csbeard
02-28-04, 08:35 AM
Your best starting place is to get a pen and paper and write down the codes you have stored. Your problem sounds familiar, but you have to start with the codes. When you have them, post them here and you'll be on your way.

Codes are as follows in history

PCM P0463
P0603
P1527
P1599

IRC B1776

Hope I am doing this correct as I am not used to posting on a forum yet.
CSBeard

Logandiagnostic
02-28-04, 10:41 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8843

Logan
www.airbagcrash.com
www.logandiagnostic.com

CognLac
02-28-04, 04:53 PM
CSBEARD, i had same thing happen to my 98 deville, but i also had very hard starts, 10 sec of cranking. it ended up being the fuel pressure regulator , under the hood pull the vaccuum hose off and keep it off for 15 sec, if gas comes out, quick 70 bucks and your set.

MaryK
04-09-04, 04:57 PM
I'm having the exact same problem with my 99 Seville. Did you ever resolve your problem? What was it?

Thanks,
:)

El Dobro
04-11-04, 01:48 AM
I've changed both crank sensors recently with no difference in the intermittant stalling my 98 Seville has. MaryK, I noticed you had the idle air control valve replaced, but there was no change. I've cleaned the throttle body and the idle ports without any change, so I was going to change the IAC myself, but I'm not going to bother now.

I'm always checking new posts on the stalling and have started a thread on it myself. It seems that most of the stalling happens when the throttle is closed, whether starting the car or when the foot is off the gas pedal while coasting. I'm now wondering if it has something to do with the throttle position sensor. Has anyone out there ever changed theirs to see if it was the root of the stalling problem?

Lawrence
04-11-04, 03:50 AM
May be un-realted but, I had the same thing happen to my Suburban for a period of a few years. Very random. The motor would just quit. Could be anywhere, at any speed. Happened alot on the freeway. I would coast over to the side of the road and it would start right back up. Could never figure it out. Every thing tested OK. An intermitant problem.

After a few years the alternator died so I replaced it. The suburban has never stalled again from that day. Obviously it was intermitantly going haywire and pulsing the electrical (ignition) system into submission.

Maybe???..............

Rich_M
04-11-04, 09:20 AM
Sure sounds like a fuel delivery problem.
A friend had the same problem years ago with a VW Bug. Never new when it would shut down. Turned out the gas tank was loaded with crud. Cleaned out the gas tank and the car ran fine ( For a Bug ) after that.

Regards,
Rich

rbrandon
11-20-04, 02:39 PM
I had this problem on my 97 deville for months, brought the car in for the fuel rail recall and it runs like a top, no problems whatsoever.

an01sts
11-20-04, 11:39 PM
I had it happen maybe 4 or 5 times, 2 or 3 were close togther. (It was 2 seperate series.) The first one or twice, car was sitll under warrenty, so I took it in. Everyting checked out. It was still under warrenty for the second 2 o3 close together, I took it in, and it still checked out fine. (Warrenty pays them, so they'd chunk on whatever if a customer complaint covers their ass, so they would have played hit or miss and installed whatever they could have gotten away with. As it was, they didn't make a dime, working for free.)

The service writer told me that it may have been from low quality gas. Northstars like good gas. In mine, they say you can burn kerosene, but it perferes premium.

I have never burned anything but premium in the car. The thing is that when I thought back to gas purchases and who they related to the stalling, the first instance seemed to be in time with a fillup at a little hillbilly station in a remote area of VA, and the other one was at a station in a DC getto.

The last instance was about a year ago, and it has never done it again. I buy lots of gas from Wawa. The thing is that the stores are high volume stores, and you get less chance of stale gas from high volume stations.

You mention that you're a salesman, out on the road a lot, so you may be getting stale gas from low volume stores. (Are you using pemium?) So you might do better if buy premium and only buy from high volume stations. That getto gas took a few tankfulls to flush it out, so it wasn't like things cleared up on the next tank.

autohsd
11-22-04, 12:49 AM
Hey there, Did you ever get this issue resolved. The reason I ask is that I have a 97 sls that is doing the same thing. It started after I had the headgaskets replaced.(dealership done the headgaskets but someone else pulled and reinstalled the motor) It only stalls at idle or below 1000 rpm when you slow down. I have had a local mechanic check the codes and the cadillac dealership check the codes and nothing shows up. My next step is to start checking sensors starting with the crank sensor and the TPS. Any suggestions would be appreciated.-----thanks

Spyder
11-22-04, 03:26 AM
I put a new TPS on mine not long ago...it was causing lots of error codes, and the idle was high and erratic, and wouldn't go into overdrive. A new throttle position sensor fixed it right up...it never did die on me though, and always started right up...don't know what your problem may be...sorry :(

mcowden
11-22-04, 04:36 PM
I agree with BBobynski's original "guess" from February: The problem CSBeard is describing sounds exactly like a bad crank position sensor. It will just inexplicably die very quickly, with no symptoms ahead of time, but start right back up. Sometimes it won't restart for a few seconds, or even a few minutes. Crank it and crank it and nothing happens, but when it comes back to life, it starts instantly. The codes don't point to it, but that's my guess.

axapowell
11-24-04, 12:51 AM
Did you recalibrate your crank timing after installing you crank sensors? Need a good scanner to do so. Also you may want to have your ECU reflashed and updated after you replace your crank sensors. That's what it sounds like to me..maybe.

Dave

CadiJeff
11-24-04, 01:48 AM
hoew does it die? Do all of the electronics die w/ it (or reset) or is it just the engine? If it is everything I would suspect mabe a loose/bad battery cable or mabe a loose connection to the alternator, I have a similar problem intermittently and I diagnosed it as bad battery cables, and when I get money I plan on replacing them.

CGGage
09-22-05, 02:51 PM
hoew does it die? Do all of the electronics die w/ it (or reset) or is it just the engine? If it is everything I would suspect mabe a loose/bad battery cable or mabe a loose connection to the alternator, I have a similar problem intermittently and I diagnosed it as bad battery cables, and when I get money I plan on replacing them.

My '97 DeVille is doing this and is it frustrating! I have had it to the dealer who said there were no codes. They took it for a test drive and, of course, found nothing, but did charge me for an hour!

What mine does: Drive along at turnpike speeds -- total electrical failure and engine dies. Pull to side of road. Restarts just fine. Dashboard, clock, radio, trip odometer, Avg mileage -- all reset to zero! It is like someone completely disconnected the battery/alternator while I was driving along. This also happened a couple of times when I slowed down to make a turn. It happened when I bumped a curb. This morning, I went out, tried to start the car. Absolutely dead. Just like the battery was disconnected. I opened the hood, fiddled with the battery connections, moved a couple of wires. Did not really do very much. Car started right up! So, I suspect it is electrical and a loose or "going bad" something or other. The cranking was strong so I doubt it is the battery. The battery connections look good on the battery side. This is very sporadic -- happens maybe twice a week and randomly. There are no codes listed -- maybe they are zapped when the electrical disconnect occurs(?). Anyone have any ideas? Thanks! --Chuck

mcowden
09-23-05, 03:49 PM
My '97 DeVille is doing this and is it frustrating! I have had it to the dealer who said there were no codes. They took it for a test drive and, of course, found nothing, but did charge me for an hour!

What mine does: Drive along at turnpike speeds -- total electrical failure and engine dies. Pull to side of road. Restarts just fine. Dashboard, clock, radio, trip odometer, Avg mileage -- all reset to zero! It is like someone completely disconnected the battery/alternator while I was driving along. This also happened a couple of times when I slowed down to make a turn. It happened when I bumped a curb. This morning, I went out, tried to start the car. Absolutely dead. Just like the battery was disconnected. I opened the hood, fiddled with the battery connections, moved a couple of wires. Did not really do very much. Car started right up! So, I suspect it is electrical and a loose or "going bad" something or other. The cranking was strong so I doubt it is the battery. The battery connections look good on the battery side. This is very sporadic -- happens maybe twice a week and randomly. There are no codes listed -- maybe they are zapped when the electrical disconnect occurs(?). Anyone have any ideas? Thanks! --Chuck

CGGage (Chuck) -

You would be better off posting this issue in the Electrical forum. This really isn't related to the Northstar but it is an electrical problem. I think you're more likely to get an answer in there or at least a better answer. Good luck!