: Brother buying his first car...

caddycruiser
10-25-06, 05:17 PM
Well, he certainly beat me to it:rolleyes: Took me until 19 (almost 20) to buy my '95 Fleetwood this past January, and now my 17 year old brother is about to buy his first car.

He had been looking at and wanting a mid/later 80's Monte Carlo/Cutlass for a while, as well as some interest in Camaros of similar age and later Caprices, but I was never sure why. But that's what he likes and being that it's his money, so be it.

The real car shopping hadn't started until this summer, and then more seriously the last month or so. He and my father would peruse the papers and go "spotting" on weekends. Besides some ragged Monte Carlos, the only other real candidate that fit his budget and was what he wanted was a '86 Cutlass Supreme with 76k. Looked nice, mostly, and was a local car, but also had a few oddities on the test drive and they finally decided it wasn't in the best shape for the asking price.

Just as a nonchalant suggestion from my father, he said they should try and find a Buick Regal from the same era--but that looked a little better and was considerably rarer than a Chevy or Olds. Nothing much turned up, and they were on their way to see another Cutlass and a Caprice some distance away when they spotted a '86 Regal in the paper just after pulling out of the driveway.

Long story short, the trip was revised, and he put a deposit down on the Regal pretty much immediately after they saw it. I'm still away at school, but according to them, it's in terrific shape and the classic "one owner old guy" car. An '86 Regal, a Limited model, has the extremely (at least in the Buicks) rare Olds 307 V8 option (pretty much all were the 3.8L V6), 73k miles, and is light blue with a dark blue or black (they couldn't tell) landau top, with a dark blue velor interior and factory wire hubcaps.

Definately not the greatest color combination in the world or my favorite car in general, but very cool that they just stumbled upon a car they never thought they'd find in such nice shape--and for a price less than HALF of that of the next cheapest car they had seen. Even if he decides not to keep it, they seem sure that they could turn around and resell it for a lot more than they're paying after a quick detailing, so sounds like a winner to me.

Can't wait to see it...as long as it all works out! I'm very familiar with the '90s GM B and D bodies, owning 3 at the moment, and these cars aren't that different in theory, just smaller and older.

creeker
10-25-06, 05:46 PM
Good choice of cars, you seem to be partial to 307 olds, I've had 3 different cars with 3.8's, their a great motor.

caddycruiser
10-25-06, 06:04 PM
Good choice of cars, you seem to be partial to 307 olds, I've had 3 different cars with 3.8's, their a great motor.

Actually, I don't at all--and it would never be my choice. Hence the 90's B and D bodies we have with TBI 350's and my '95 with the LT1.

But these cars are what he liked, and he seems to think the extra simplicity over even our current cars is a good thing. I don't do the whole carbureter thing, and hope it isn't a series of problems, but we'll see. But yes, he definately wanted the V8 over the V6. Not sure why, other than just that it's a V8 and that's what we're all used to, but also probably because of the rarity factor. My mother had an '83 Monte Carlo many years ago with, I believe, the 3.8L and it had some issues, but it is still a generally strong choice.

The 307 in these cars does seem like it's fairly anemic at 140 horses, but I've never even been around one, so I have no real idea--the torque probably helps it considerably. We shall see.

Elvis
10-25-06, 06:19 PM
I liked both motors. The 307 isn't anemic, but it is a little disappointing if you're hoping to mod it and give it ballz. From what I've read the return on investment isn't really worth it. But it runs and is great for highway cruising. Plenty of passing gear.

I think your little bro is about to make you VERY jealous when you see his new wheels. Sounds like a great catch to me! :thumbsup:

Best of luck to him!

caddycruiser
10-25-06, 06:28 PM
Haha, we'll see. It still won't compare to my car (I tried to talk him into something similar, he did look at some Caprices, AND my father offered to sell him the '93 Fleetwood at virtual pennies...), but this is what he's wanted.

This was all as of Sunday, and I don't even know if it's gone through yet or not.

He didn't take any pictures when they were looking at it, but based on the description I got, I presume it looks almost exactly like this (thanks Autotrader, and some random person!):

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/blue86ltd.jpg

A bit frumpy, per say, but they seem to look a lot better with simple things like a wheel swap.

thydarkprevails
10-25-06, 06:37 PM
for a 17 year old, that looks pretty damn nice!

congrats to your bro

although i would have jumped on the fleetwood ;)

creeker
10-25-06, 06:41 PM
I can see the logic in him wanting a " V-8 " over a v-6, I like the looks of a late 80's monte carlo,especially an all black one,if I had some spare money I would have one alongside my cdv. somewhat in the same league as a grand national.

caddycruiser
10-25-06, 07:54 PM
for a 17 year old, that looks pretty damn nice!

congrats to your bro

although i would have jumped on the fleetwood ;)

Yeah, funny thing about that. I still can't believe he doesn't want to take up my father's offer to buy the '93 FWB for about 1/4 of it's real value, but oh well. He really enjoys driving it every day, I know, and did once or twice "get the smilies" and took mine for a blast while I was gone.

From what I've heard, this car is going to be a bit of a project between both him and my father--both will work on it, and it actually is going to be titled under my father's name, and is they decide to sell it, they'll split the profits.

But I still haven't seen it, and that pic is just a random Autotrader one, so I'm still waiting to hear.

caddycruiser
10-25-06, 08:02 PM
I can see the logic in him wanting a " V-8 " over a v-6, I like the looks of a late 80's monte carlo,especially an all black one,if I had some spare money I would have one alongside my cdv. somewhat in the same league as a grand national.

Actually, on that note, the GN's do look AWESOME, and even though this car apparently has great paint, a quote from my father was: "Yeah, kinda ugly colors, but paint it black and sell those hubcaps and then you might really have something." That'd look great, but probably won't happen, at least for a long time.

If it does actually show up at home soon, I will at least push for new wheels...that made a big difference on my Fleetwood, and would make a HUGE difference on this car.

Benzilla
10-25-06, 08:32 PM
Hey, no blue G-body bashing, that's pretty much the exact Buick version of my '84 Cutlass. My blue is a little different, and I have the stock color matching rally wheels(I wouldn't have it any other way) But same idea. here's mine to compare
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_01322.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_01332.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_0140.jpg
By the way, the running boards aren't gold anymore.

caddycruiser
10-25-06, 08:38 PM
Oh yes, yours definately looks GREAT:thumbsup:

Just goes to prove my point of how much of a difference upgraded wheels like that--alone--improve the looks. Other than that, very similar car too.

Do you still have that car? What engine, and how do you like it?

Benzilla
10-25-06, 08:54 PM
Yeah I still have it, it's in my garage tucked away. It was my first car, and has been in the family since '84 when my grandfather bought it new. It is on it's second 3.8 litre Buick V6, the original one seized up in '03. and the guy who replaced it with a jasper(ever heard of them?) botched it, so it has a few minor issues, but I still love it. IMO a very classy looking car, not over the top, and not really luxurious, but I like how it looks. Nice riding, pretty good handling, not exactly a rocket though.

All in all, even thought I always talk about trading it off, I'd really miss it. I grew up with it.

CadillacSTS42005
10-25-06, 09:27 PM
end result boys
ANOTHER MAN SAVED FROM GOING ASIAN!!!!
he could drive something thats ready for the yard long as its not import the boys kewl by me!

caddycruiser
10-25-06, 09:55 PM
end result boys
ANOTHER MAN SAVED FROM GOING ASIAN!!!!
he could drive something thats ready for the yard long as its not import the boys kewl by me!

Oh, you don't even want to get him STARTED on the mention of anything import...I even say one good thing about a Honda, Nissan, etc., and either get laughed at or barrated.

Then again, this is a person who refuses to use the AC in a car no matter how deathly hot it is (I got yelled at once when I rode with him and did turn it on), thinks power windows and locks are dumb, never turns the radio on for his life, etc...quite an interesting kid, and the exact opposite of most everyone else his age.

So a dinosaur of a car (well, relatively) should be perfect, especially if some of the accessories are no longer working:)

Elvis
10-25-06, 11:09 PM
That Cutlass sure brings back memories. I had a silver '81 Cutlass with the same blue interior. No vinyl top, no floormats, either. As basic as you could get--but it DID have cold a/c and I replaced the Delco head unit.

In a way I'd love to have that one back. I'd also love to have my '85 Delta 88. Those were a couple of really good cars--not great, but GOOD. Unfortunately they only got about 17 mpg running around town.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-26-06, 12:14 AM
The G Bodies are nice cars, but they're not really my sort of thing, except the Grand Nationals, 442 and Hurst Oldses. Those I like a lot. The '86 Regal your brother bought is a nice car though. The 307 is a very reliable motor, and it should power the car quite nicely, much better than in the B and D Bodies. I believe it Destroyer had a 307 Cutlass at some point, he liked it a lot. The tranny I believe is the 200R4, which is decent in the 307, but it doesnt take to mods well...it's a rather weak tranny in the bigger B and D bodies. But hey, his car is better than my brother's...96 Sentra!

Jesda
10-26-06, 08:10 AM
Handsome cars with cool features and nice engines. They deserve plenty of respect. Throw on some wheels, tires, and black paint and you have a mean looking coupe!

caddycruiser
10-26-06, 09:06 AM
Handsome cars with cool features and nice engines. They deserve plenty of respect. Throw on some wheels, tires, and black paint and you have a mean looking coupe!

If it's all gone through, I hope for that...or at least just wheels. The blue will throw off the whole driveway color scheme at home:rolleyes:

dp102288
10-26-06, 09:25 AM
Keep us posted, and try to get some pics. I would love to see this car.

Good luck to your brother...hopefully it doesn't give him any problems.

caddycruiser
10-26-06, 05:19 PM
Haven't talked to him yet, but he just sent me pics of it newly arrived in our driveway:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/86%20Regal%20October%2026%202006/IMG_0531.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/86%20Regal%20October%2026%202006/IMG_0532.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/86%20Regal%20October%2026%202006/IMG_0533.jpg

Definately filthy, but that's the easiest thing to take care of! I may just have to drive home this weekend to see it...

Benzilla
10-26-06, 06:12 PM
I like it! just make sure you detail it throughly inside and out, and it'll look sweet.

caddycruiser
10-26-06, 06:32 PM
I like it! just make sure you detail it throughly inside and out, and it'll look sweet.

Trust me, having a knack (and part-time business) for detailing, and him following suit lately, it should be looking close to new inside and out very soon.

Just talked to him, and like something they did notice when first looking at it, it chugged pretty bad all the way home. Taking a quick look, one of the first issues to be dealt with is some rotted vacuum lines (probably a big part of it) from sitting so long and being 20 years old. That, and also age-wise, it's likely overdue for the usual spark plugs, etc. Other than that, no real problems, so hoping for the best!

CadillacSTS42005
10-26-06, 07:24 PM
congrats!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-26-06, 11:29 PM
Clean 'er up and she'll be sweet!!

I'm surprised that they didn't install power windows in those standard...

96Fleetwood
10-26-06, 11:34 PM
Congrats to your brother!

Reminds me of my Dad's old '86 Olds Cutlass 442.

caddycruiser
10-27-06, 08:05 AM
Clean 'er up and she'll be sweet!!

I'm surprised that they didn't install power windows in those standard...

Me too! I imagined cranks on a base model, but being as this is a Limited, I was kinda shocked when I saw that picture. He likes it better that way, but it's odd.

It's missing pretty bad right now, but even so, my father said it was a beast on the way home especially when he got mad and floored it to pass someone--apparently left my brother in his Roadmaster in the dust. The doggish 140 horses and high gears apparently make it more sluggish way down low, but it must be pretty meaty right in the general driving range.

Still needs cleaned, the miss fixed (distributer maybe, bad vac lines, etc.), and then inspected, but it's decently good to go considering how long it sat. Only thing my mother apparently doesn't like is how the driveway is getting even more crowded now without me even there so that "I can deal with it for the time being but something has to go before long". I won't hold my breath on that:rolleyes:

dp102288
10-27-06, 09:08 AM
Look at that dash! Beautiful. Out 89 Regal looks nothing like that! Your brother's car is so big. Ours is like a Corolla! :crying:

caddycruiser
10-27-06, 01:30 PM
Look at that dash! Beautiful. Out 89 Regal looks nothing like that! Your brother's car is so big. Ours is like a Corolla! :crying:

Really? Having 2 Fleetwoods, a Roadmaster, and a Suburban for years now, pretty much anything seems small to us. Matter of fact, last night on the phone my brother even made the comment "It was so weird getting out of the Cadillac and getting into this car--it feels like a midget."

But thanks for the comments--I'm passing them on. Still not sure when I'll get a chance to see this thing, but hopefully soon.

Benzilla
10-28-06, 02:37 AM
Really? Having 2 Fleetwoods, a Roadmaster, and a Suburban for years now, pretty much anything seems small to us. Matter of fact, last night on the phone my brother even made the comment "It was so weird getting out of the Cadillac and getting into this car--it feels like a midget."

But thanks for the comments--I'm passing them on. Still not sure when I'll get a chance to see this thing, but hopefully soon.
haha, when I take my Cutlass out of the garage, it looks like a pedal car next to the three Caddys, but when my mother drove it for a short time in the '90s after she sold her Geo, she always complained about how huge it was... then I let her drive my 83 Coupe Deville, that shut her up! :D

dp102288
10-28-06, 10:27 AM
Ours is like this, only blue. What a difference!!

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/745/xcbureg891wz7.jpg

caddycruiser
10-28-06, 02:21 PM
Ours is like this, only blue. What a difference!!

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/745/xcbureg891wz7.jpg

Yeah, pretty much the only thing shared is the name. Beyond that, it's a V8, RWD, BOF coupe versus a V6, FWD, unibody coupe/sedan. Not even remotely similar, but an interesting comparo.

OffThaHorseCEO
10-28-06, 10:03 PM
i love g bodies, my first car was a black 85 buick regal, and no, the 307 is not the most reliable, its not the best engine, its good for whats in it but you can easily swap in a sb 350 and be doing so much better

my friend built a sb 305 and dropped it in , ran high 7's low 8's in the 8th with a speaker wall and 13" wire wheels

and yes i mean wall and not box, he completely removed the backseat and built a wall of speakers

caddycruiser
10-28-06, 10:21 PM
i love g bodies, my first car was a black 85 buick regal, and no, the 307 is not the most reliable, its not the best engine, its good for whats in it but you can easily swap in a sb 350 and be doing so much better

my friend built a sb 305 and dropped it in , ran high 7's low 8's in the 8th with a speaker wall and 13" wire wheels

and yes i mean wall and not box, he completely removed the backseat and built a wall of speakers

Well, if it ends up being a long-term keeper, I can certainly imagine something like that happening in years to come. But for right now, it's a 73k mile car that badly needs cleaned, a few minor little things taken care of (mainly just a couple bulbs and stuff), and the engine missing fixed, along with some more general maintenance. Basically all the stuff expected when you buy a car that's been sitting for a long time, but was generally taken care of well before.

Still haven't seen it up close, since I couldn't make it down this weekend, but planning for next.

Oh, and not sure if I mentioned this or not, but they paid $700 cash. Considering they were looking at a '86 Cutlass that wasn't in as nice of condition overall and seemed to have a transmission problem as well as a mysterious engine oil issue, for a firmer $1500, this definitely seemed like something to jump on. Even if they don't keep it, they can clean it up and get it running 100%, and then make a nice profit.

Jesda
10-28-06, 11:03 PM
Speaking of G-bodies, what do you guys think of this?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/car/226235936.html

Benzilla
10-28-06, 11:58 PM
ehh. Why, you wanna buy it?

caddycruiser
10-29-06, 12:00 AM
Speaking of G-bodies, what do you guys think of this?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/car/226235936.html

Well, a bit rough, but maybe a good start of an intensive project if you can't find anything better.

The fact that my brother got the Buick--in a lot better shape than that and 3 years newer--for $100 less makes me still not think it's so attractive. Basically, rough, is what comes to mind...but seems like it might be okay mechanically, with the recent work. You never know, especially since the Chevys tend to be beat up and abused more.

What's with the interest? Just because it's in your area or simply a random net siting?

dp102288
10-29-06, 08:31 AM
The Monte Carlo is going to need a good amount of work, unless you really want to leave it like that.

caddycruiser
10-29-06, 08:59 PM
They worked on it this weekend and now the missing is fixed. First was a new cap & rotor, but when removing the old he said it really still looked pretty good, so he didn't think that would solve the missing--sure enough, it still did it with the new parts. So, as expected, the next step was new plugs and sure enough, two were clearly bad, so now with a new cap & rotor and new plugs, no more missing, and it really runs like a beast.

No the issue, or maybe non-issue, is some smoking. Before even leaving the guy's house, he said the oil was dirty enough to worry him, so he did a quick change there and drove it home. Once there, did it again (and I think maybe even a third time), just because it still seemed very carboned up and icky. At the same time, he said he put some Marvel Mystery Oil in both the gas and the oil to help free things up more and clear more deposits. So then they've been out driving it around, and noticed it smoking various colors and at various times. Expectedly, when flogged, it was mainly black carbon smoke, and then other times just general smoke and enough to fog up the road.

All seems to be running very well though, and I think it's simply an issue of it sitting for so long and now getting fresh fluids and cleansers run through it for the first time in a while, causing the smoke. Still not sure, so we'll see.

Beyond that, it was just some minor undercarriage cleaning & inspection, and it still needs detailed.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-29-06, 09:19 PM
Once you hear that 307, you'll fall in love with it's sound. It's a great sounding motor. :)

caddycruiser
10-29-06, 09:41 PM
Once you hear that 307, you'll fall in love with it's sound. It's a great sounding motor. :)

Hah! Want to know something weird about that comment? After they first picked it up, my father thought it might have had a slight exhaust leak somewhere due to how it sounded. Got the chance to crawl underneath and check it out this weekend, and no leaks to really be seen or heard...then he got to the end and noticed someone had replaced the muffler with a glasspack. Gave him a chuckle, and now I really do wonder what it sounds like...good or bad...

As far as the smoke, I still think more likely than not it's just all that crap in there from sitting so long and being old guy driven a while ago, that it's just finally all getting blown out. A few more steady and semi-hard drives, and it should be clear.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-29-06, 10:08 PM
Ooooh a 307 with glasspacks? Sweet! A stock 307 has this unique sound. It's muscular and smooth. It sounds very powerful, which is funny considering it's only 140 hp!

caddycruiser
10-29-06, 10:41 PM
Ooooh a 307 with glasspacks? Sweet! A stock 307 has this unique sound. It's muscular and smooth. It sounds very powerful, which is funny considering it's only 140 hp!

Well, being they have a rather restricted single exhaust, it's A glasspack, but I'd still like to know what it sounds like. Must be fairly quiet, but also enough of a rumble there for him to think it had a leak somewhere.

dp102288
10-30-06, 10:51 AM
^^ Wow. Great exhaust work by the previous guys. :histeric:

If you can get a vid of the car, or just some more pics once its shined, please do!

caddycruiser
10-30-06, 01:13 PM
^^ Wow. Great exhaust work by the previous guys. :histeric:

If you can get a vid of the car, or just some more pics once its shined, please do!

As long as all works out and I make it home this weekend, should have a lot more pics and hopefully a vid:)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-30-06, 01:20 PM
As long as all works out and I make it home this weekend, should have a lot more pics and hopefully a vid:)

Cool, I'd be very interested to see a 307 powered '87 Regal's 0-60 run!
I really wanna see if it's *that* much better than the 307 Brougham...

caddycruiser
11-02-06, 12:19 AM
Haven't talked to them in a few days, but my mother told me today that they went to get it inspected either yesterday or today and along the way something went wrong with a spark plug (she really didn't know what she was saying, other than "one started sparking") and then it was backfiring too. Not sure if this was before or after they made it to the DMV, but once there, it didn't pass emissions anyway (:bigroll: ), so now it sits again.

It seems like a nice car, I just hope it doesn't turn into more of a headache than it's worth--it's old, definately, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. Who knows, maybe the good karma from giving it a good cleaning this weekend will help it stop acting up:)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-02-06, 12:25 AM
Maybe it's just feeling "down" next to all of those D bodies in the driveway!

caddycruiser
11-02-06, 07:59 AM
Maybe it's just feeling "down" next to all of those D bodies in the driveway!

Hah, could be. I should be home tomorrow afternoon, so I shall see this thing up close and personal for the first time.

caddycruiser
11-05-06, 04:17 PM
The half weekend went really quick, so I didn't even have time to help him clean it up anymore, but did take a ride in it and was able to get 2 quick videos (but no new pics) last night.

Looks just about as good in person as they described, only a couple small rust spots, and mostly shiny paint and a very nice interior. It failed inspection for emissions already, and then the one turn signal lense somehow went MIA on the way back, but it's all just minor stuff. Seems to run very well, aside from the still getting smoke when it was first started after sitting a couple days and then pulling away from stop signs, but that's the current mystery. Most likely just because it sat for so long with such nasty oil just laying in it, and has now been changed twice and cleaners added, but it just can't pass inspection until they can get it to a point where it stops the visible "puff" if you rev it. Only does it occasionally, and runs extremely well, but just wish it wouldn't do it in the DMV line:rolleyes:

Regardless, my dad is still working on it and both he and my brother have been trying to drive it around the community and down back roads as much as they can, and it seems to be getting better.

In other terms, I'm used to the Roadie and 2 Fleetwoods, and I actually like this car a bit too. I didn't drive it, but the steering is apparently a mix of scary and awful (too many turns/slow ratio) and the springs are clearly of the excessive slop variety. Doesn't float much, but still soft and the back has the natural droop (if you saw how small the springs were back there, it's pretty clear why). And moreso, one thing that I wasn't expecting was how solid it feels. The hood and trunk, for example, close more solidly than the Roadie or Fleetwoods, and going down the road, it feels very robust and still mostly tight despite 20 years and 73k miles.

Still not my favorite, but I like it a lot more after seeing it and riding in it. And here's 2 quick digicam videos I took last night when they were leaving for the gas station.

1) Idling in the driveway:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/86%20Regal%20October%2026%202006/th_MVI_0535.jpg (http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/86%20Regal%20October%2026%202006/?action=view&current=MVI_0535.flv)

2) Pulling up the driveway, and then down the street:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/86%20Regal%20October%2026%202006/th_MVI_0536.jpg (http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/86%20Regal%20October%2026%202006/?action=view&current=MVI_0536.flv)

Still not what I would describe as loud, but the glasspack on there definately makes it sound more robust both at idle and under power, albeit it a still subtle way. Most of what you hear after startup and first going is just the mechanical fan roar anyway. A little slow around town, but my dad still thinks it feels faster on the road than his Roadmaster, at least a bit so. Just hope it passes inspection and they can continue cleaning it up--not that heading into winter is the best time for that!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-05-06, 04:31 PM
Seems to run very well, aside from the still getting smoke when it was first started after sitting a couple days and then pulling away from stop signs, but that's the current mystery. Most likely just because it sat for so long with such nasty oil just laying in it, and has now been changed twice and cleaners added, but it just can't pass inspection until they can get it to a point where it stops the visible "puff" if you rev it.

So when you go to pass a car, does the Regal "puff puff pass"?? Hahaha!

And moreso, one thing that I wasn't expecting was how solid it feels. The hood and trunk, for example, close more solidly than the Roadie or Fleetwoods, and going down the road, it feels very robust and still mostly tight despite 20 years and 73k miles.

I noticed that between the older '80s GM cars and the last generation B and D bodies. The older ones have a more solid feeling to them. Heavier, thicker steel, less plastic etc etc. On Wednesday, we got a '95 Roadmaster and a '96 Caprice in at work. I got the priveledge to wash them both, when I was driving them, I noticed that their door panels feel weak and somewhat brittle, now granted they weren't as bad as the door panels in my Roadmaster, but I could tell that something was loose and shaking inside of the door. The older GM cars don't have that problem, they shut solid and without any rattles.

caddycruiser
11-05-06, 06:30 PM
I noticed that between the older '80s GM cars and the last generation B and D bodies. The older ones have a more solid feeling to them. Heavier, thicker steel, less plastic etc etc. On Wednesday, we got a '95 Roadmaster and a '96 Caprice in at work. I got the priveledge to wash them both, when I was driving them, I noticed that their door panels feel weak and somewhat brittle, now granted they weren't as bad as the door panels in my Roadmaster, but I could tell that something was loose and shaking inside of the door. The older GM cars don't have that problem, they shut solid and without any rattles.

Yep, this is exactly what I'm talking about. It still doesn't have the best materials and things overall, but everything definately feels a little heavier and more solid, even compared to our Fleetwoods and Roadmaster. Also this is kinda the thing where people comment on '92 and older Broughams feeling heavier and more solid than the newer '93s--just older and heavier materials, basically, and all applied without too much thought to overall weight, etc.

The doors still have that '90s and everything before "GM junk rattle", but they're also VERY heavy, mostly because of being longer. Overall, better than I mistakenly expected in a lot of areas...now if it would just get completely cleared out and pass inspection:rolleyes:

dp102288
11-06-06, 09:53 AM
When one of our cars can't pass inspection, we take it to that mechnic down the "back road". There is just no way we are going to spend $400 to fix some serial link to get that SES light out.

caddycruiser
11-06-06, 03:46 PM
When one of our cars can't pass inspection, we take it to that mechnic down the "back road". There is just no way we are going to spend $400 to fix some serial link to get that SES light out.

HAH! Funny you mention that. There's actually "that guy" right down the street from the DMV, and my father had an issue with emissions on his '92 Roadmaster when he bought it, strangely enough, too. The deal with this guy is, $100, he takes a look and fiddles around (actually not sure what he does, but that's what I assume), runs it through the line himself and if it doesn't pass, you don't pay. Worked for the Roadmaster, but he didn't make it with the Regal because of the puff it let out when they said to hit it.

Still, no biggie, my father put in a new O2 sensor over the weekend, as well as it should soon have the air pump back and working (belt is missing for some reason), so that should help--and they smoke seems to be lessening with driving, as expected, so hoping for the best there.

Have to find a turn signal lense too, since the one went MIA on the road somewhere.

dp102288
11-07-06, 11:12 AM
Actually, I have to take the 89 Regal tomorrow. It was due in October. I will try the real & free place first. the car runs good so I expect it to pass. If its something major though, I will be going to "that guy".

caddycruiser
12-07-06, 01:20 AM
Just a little update. The Regal seems to be doing better now, as the smoking has virtually stopped, but it's still burning quite a bit of oil. There's a few different spots in the top of the engine that could be causing the issue, and they'll get to it eventually.

Driving it a lot more often helped--particularly after it passed inspection on a fluke and is now legal.

Not much else, except he's still trying to clean it up, and was working on brightening up the paint last weekend I think. Oh, and I may be getting him a suprise. The narrow ww's and wire caps don't help the already "blue" image, and even he asked me over Thanksgiving if I could keep an eye out for a set of stock or similar Buick wheels for it.

SO, in my random Craigslist exploration tonight, I ran upon a new ad from a guy near here with various older car parts and also "Buick 14" wheels". Asked him what model they were from and he immediately sent me pics and said from a Skylark he believed, and that they were most recently on a friend's '87 Cutlass (bingo, for fitment). They look great, and even have tires on them. Made him an offer of $100 for the set, and should be picking them up in a day or so:thumbsup:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/buickwheel.jpg

Pretty sure this was one of the choices he liked, so it'll be a nice suprise, especially the price. We shall see...

dp102288
12-07-06, 09:14 AM
Nice wheels! Good to hear your bro is doing good with his car, its good to see that happen. :thumbsup:

caddycruiser
12-07-06, 01:14 PM
Yeah, he knows nothing about the wheels yet--except for me knowing him mentioning to look for some.

But for so cheap, and them looking so good, I'll get them whether he wants them or not. I think they'll DEFINATELY improve the granny looks of the Regal, just like the SS's did on with my Fleetwood. We'll see:cool2:

Here's a good guess, from a car on Autotrader:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Regal%20Wheels/1.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Regal%20Wheels/4.jpg

dp102288
12-07-06, 09:40 PM
I like it! :thumbsup:

caddycruiser
12-07-06, 11:08 PM
Well, he seemed enthused over the phone after seeing the pics, so I'm definately getting them. Heading over tomorrow evening. For $100, what's to think about, really?:)

If anything, it means I myself won't have to look at those nasty wire hubcaps when I visit home anymore...

Benzilla
12-07-06, 11:27 PM
Nice to see some updates. I like the wheels you picked out a lot, but I like them much better with whitewalls like on the Autotrader one. Just enough old school, with some kick.

If you find out what the smoke thing is, tell me. What color is it? I found out my Phaeton smokes a little when I hit it... and I really don't want a ring job. What's funny is that the guy I bought it from said it just passed California emissions testings. HA!

caddycruiser
12-07-06, 11:57 PM
Nice to see some updates. I like the wheels you picked out a lot, but I like them much better with whitewalls like on the Autotrader one. Just enough old school, with some kick.

If you find out what the smoke thing is, tell me. What color is it? I found out my Phaeton smokes a little when I hit it... and I really don't want a ring job. What's funny is that the guy I bought it from said it just passed California emissions testings. HA!

Yeah, not sure about the tires. I think the whitewalls look best too, but they're not sure what they're going to use when I get the wheels home. Sounds like blackwalls, but we'll see.

As for the smoke, I'll let you know. It seemed to mostly go away with driving, but the car is still burning a lot of oil, so nothing solved yet (they still haven't torn into anything).

Benzilla
12-07-06, 11:59 PM
blackwalls? eeeeewwwww! Now that I think of it, what would look great is a set of the correct original 1.3 inch whitewalls. You hardly ever see those anymore, and it would look badass IMO.

LS1Mike
12-08-06, 12:01 AM
Man I love that body Style. I had a 442 in highschool. Sold it when I joined the Navy. Miss that car for sure.

caddycruiser
12-08-06, 12:18 AM
Here's a quick photochop I did to that Autotrader car, now with blackwalls:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Regal%20Wheels/1.jpg
vs.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Regal%20Wheels/blackwallchop1.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Regal%20Wheels/4.jpg
vs.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Regal%20Wheels/blackwallchop2.jpg

The car has whitewalls now and the fronts are good, but I think my father wants to replace the rears--he actually has a set of 2 matching ww's from another car in the shed, too. I guess they're just thinking they might want to keep at least 2 of the tires on the new wheels right now, and flip them.

But for that, they may as well just stick to 4 matching ww's. I have no idea. Not my car, and I'll let them do as they please after I drive down there and get them, and use my Fleetwood's trunk as storage for a while:bigroll:

dp102288
12-08-06, 09:31 AM
^^ I like the whitewalls. They look better.

caddycruiser
12-08-06, 01:23 PM
^^ I like the whitewalls. They look better.

Strangely enough, I'm even thinking that. Have to pick them up later today, and then we'll see from there what ends up with them, tire wise and all.

Just putting 4 matching whitewalls like are on it now--even though I think they're too narrow for the car in general--would probably work well. If they fit, that is.

dp102288
12-08-06, 10:08 PM
The blacks look okay...but compared to the whitewall they look too plain.

LS1Mike
12-08-06, 10:15 PM
Raised White Letters...

caddycruiser
12-10-06, 03:08 PM
Well, after I picked up the wheels Friday evening, I didn't feel like keeping them in my trunk for a week, so I drove home that night and stayed for the day yesterday.

Here's some new pics:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/86%20Regal%20LTD%20General/December%208%202006/DSCF0003.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/86%20Regal%20LTD%20General/December%208%202006/DSCF0004.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/86%20Regal%20LTD%20General/December%208%202006/DSCF0005.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/86%20Regal%20LTD%20General/December%208%202006/DSCF0006a.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/86%20Regal%20LTD%20General/December%208%202006/DSCF0007a.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/86%20Regal%20LTD%20General/December%208%202006/DSCF0008.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/86%20Regal%20LTD%20General/December%208%202006/DSCF0009.jpg

And the wheels (now cleaned up mostly--they look awesome, but were very dirty when I got them and in these pics):

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/86%20Regal%20LTD%20General/December%208%202006/DSCF0001.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/86%20Regal%20LTD%20General/December%208%202006/DSCF0002.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/86%20Regal%20LTD%20General/December%208%202006/DSCF0010.jpg

With my initial look, I thought they'd be able to even use the tires currently on them, at least for a bit, but one has a slit in it and the other back on is quite worn down. SO, I think they're going to put the current front ww's on one pair and a matching pair of ww's we have stored on the other pair. My brother said he wanted the whitewalls, or at least liked that look the best.

All in all, very nice, and a great find for $100 that I only had to drive a little to get.

dp102288
12-10-06, 10:49 PM
You made a good deal for $100 in my view. :thumbsup:

caddycruiser
12-10-06, 11:12 PM
You made a good deal for $100 in my view. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I see sets of them from time to time that go for not a huge amount more, but then you also have to factor in shipping and not seeing them in person. I was just browsing Craigslist late one night and happened to see the ad. Only about 1/10th of what I paid for the wheel/tire combo on my Fleetwood, haha:rolleyes:

I'm trying to help him find little odds and ends for the car as he thinks of stuff, the wheels being second now to a turn signal that had fallen off somewhere.

Benzilla
12-11-06, 02:12 AM
That's a nice looking Regal. Even though I'm not a "blue" person, I like the color combo, it works IMO. Those rims on some whitewalls will be badass.

caddycruiser
12-11-06, 02:15 PM
That's a nice looking Regal. Even though I'm not a "blue" person, I like the color combo, it works IMO. Those rims on some whitewalls will be badass.

That's what I'm thinking. I don't like the coloring in theory, but in person and on this car, it looks really nice. Throw on the new wheels with the whitewalls and it'll still look stock (my brother's goal) but noticeably nicer.

I posted the same pics and info on the Impala SS forum and I've had comments saying to stick with the OWL tires. Not bad, I guess, but just goes to show you the different tastes across the forums. 2 are toast anyway, and I think they'd look a bit off in conjunction with the granny blues and vinyl top.