: Opportunity Knocks?

DopeStar 156
10-25-06, 01:33 AM
My dad wants to go out and buy my mom a winter car since he's not sure if he wants her driving her T-Bird in the snow. I saw an opportunity here since I've been driving my 99 Malibu for over 3 years now and I'm starting to get bored with it. I want to try to convince my dad to pass the Malibu on to my mom since she doesn't care and spend the money on me for a replacement commuter car.

I had a few cars in mind, but I'm trying to keep it under $10,000......

- 03 CTS
- 97-00 Eldorado/ETC
- 99-02 Monte Carlo SS

Krashed989
10-25-06, 04:08 AM
OHH THANK GOD!!!..... I thought this thread would be about you buying a honda! :histeric: :thepan: :alchi:

RobertCTS
10-25-06, 05:13 AM
I don't think I would want another FWD so that only leaves the one car, the '03 CTS.:)

Slywun
10-25-06, 07:22 AM
I don't think I would want another FWD so that only leaves the one car, the '03 CTS.:)
:yeah:

90Brougham350
10-25-06, 07:26 AM
Agreed.

HITMONEY
10-25-06, 07:35 AM
I dunno... I have a base CTS rental right now since my DTS is in the shop. This thing is a piece of crap. I've almost got killed a few times by attempting to pull into traffic. This car has the balls of Boy George.

The automatic tranny seems to never be in the right gear and the engine sounds like an over revving sewing machine, it must be the 2.8... its just horrid.

The fit and finish is horrible, reminds me of a K-Car. I am shocked they call this POS a Cadillac.

The only thing I like about it is the color, a dark metallic red or merlot.

I would go for the Eldo.

dp102288
10-25-06, 08:00 AM
Eldo FTMFW!!!

Seriously, once you have one, it is great.

gothicaleigh
10-25-06, 09:02 AM
I dunno... I have a base CTS rental right now since my DTS is in the shop. This thing is a piece of crap. I've almost got killed a few times by attempting to pull into traffic. This car has the balls of Boy George.
The automatic tranny seems to never be in the right gear and the engine sounds like an over revving sewing machine, it must be the 2.8... its just horrid.
The fit and finish is horrible, reminds me of a K-Car. I am shocked they call this POS a Cadillac.
I would go for the Eldo.

Maybe it's a base model or rental issue, because my CTS seems more solid and well put together than both of the Eldorados I had previously...

I think the wrong wheel drive of the other choices (and I'm honestly disappointed in your even considering a Monte Carlo) would also only leave me with but one option out of those three.

If you can find a well maintained CTS in your budget of under $10k, I can't think of a reason why you shouldn't buy one. It would be an astounding car for that price.

RobertCTS
10-25-06, 09:10 AM

I would go for the Eldo.

Sounds like you got a dud HitMoney. I'm very pleased with my CTS. I had a 2001 Eldorado. It was nice looking and comfortable but handled like a Hog.

HITMONEY
10-25-06, 09:38 AM
Do you have the base 2.8?

CIWS
10-25-06, 09:53 AM
Do you have the base 2.8?

Look at the exhaust, if it's a single, you got the sewing machine. I've driven them for loaners. Simple truth is if you're use to the power of a V8, to get in a 2.8 means rethinking how you drive. :)

DopeStar 156
10-25-06, 09:55 AM
Well so far the CTS is my first choice. My mom's friend has one in sable black (color of choice, surprised?) that's coming off lease soon and I wonder how much would have to be thrown in to keep it. I want a newer car than I have now since it's mainly for driving back and forth to school or for a road trip. I'm reluctant to go for an Eldorado because I'll get decreased fuel economy because of the Northstar which also requires premium. Any Eldo/ETC I find for under $10k has over 100k on it but I do like the car so it's still a choice. The Monte Carlo is also a valid choice because it's very similar to my Malibu so I'm sure the fuel economy is the same even with the SS model which is what I'd want. However the 03 CTS is still my primary choice. Anyone think they can help me find a cheap one in NJ? So far I haven't found any for under $17k. I need to successfully find something to persuade my dad to do this in my favor. He's out right now looking at an ugly as sin 99 Taurus for my mom.......

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=207307943&dealer_id=855612&car_year=2003&search_type=used&num_records=25&make=CAD&model=CTS&transmission=&distance=100&address=07838&make2=&advanced=&certified=&max_mileage=&bkms=1161787544471&max_price=&sort_type=priceASC&min_price=&body_code=0&end_year=2004&color=&start_year=2003&drive=&engine=&style_flag=1&doors=&fuel=&cardist=51
I found this one for $17,510. It says $99 a month. Sounds like a good deal? I'm trying to be smart about this since I don't want to get ripped off and I want a good reliable car that I can get a few years of highway driving out of. My Malibu currently has 95k all highway miles and it has proven to be the supercar. It's replacement should show me the same loyal service......

RobertCTS
10-25-06, 10:29 AM
Well so far the CTS is my first choice. My mom's friend has one in sable black (color of choice, surprised?) that's coming off lease soon and I wonder how much would have to be thrown in to keep it. I want a newer car than I have now since it's mainly for driving back and forth to school or for a road trip. I'm reluctant to go for an Eldorado because I'll get decreased fuel economy because of the Northstar which also requires premium. Any Eldo/ETC I find for under $10k has over 100k on it but I do like the car so it's still a choice. The Monte Carlo is also a valid choice because it's very similar to my Malibu so I'm sure the fuel economy is the same even with the SS model which is what I'd want. However the 03 CTS is still my primary choice. Anyone think they can help me find a cheap one in NJ? So far I haven't found any for under $17k. I need to successfully find something to persuade my dad to do this in my favor. He's out right now looking at an ugly as sin 99 Taurus for my mom.......

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=207307943&dealer_id=855612&car_year=2003&search_type=used&num_records=25&make=CAD&model=CTS&transmission=&distance=100&address=07838&make2=&advanced=&certified=&max_mileage=&bkms=1161787544471&max_price=&sort_type=priceASC&min_price=&body_code=0&end_year=2004&color=&start_year=2003&drive=&engine=&style_flag=1&doors=&fuel=&cardist=51
I found this one for $17,510. It says $99 a month. Sounds like a good deal? I'm trying to be smart about this since I don't want to get ripped off and I want a good reliable car that I can get a few years of highway driving out of. My Malibu currently has 95k all highway miles and it has proven to be the supercar. It's replacement should show me the same loyal service......

$99/mth sounds cheap but how long a period? I see guys go after the lower payments over a long period of time. When they go to trade it in at maybe 2 years they end up "Upside Down". They owe more than the car is worth. Then they take the balanced owed and finance it with another car as they sink farther in dept. Be cautious my friend.:)

Rey Rey 650
10-25-06, 10:50 AM
Wow, dopestar in the CTS forum? haha...Dude, Get the CTS!

DopeStar 156
10-25-06, 12:58 PM
I'm still looking for an affordable one........

Krashed989
10-25-06, 01:29 PM
... I'm reluctant to go for an Eldorado because I'll get decreased fuel economy because of the Northstar which also requires premium.......

My 1994 eldorado gets 21mpg running on super with 10% ethanol. Without the ethanol it gets around 23-24mpg. So it's not really that bad on gas.

ChicagoCTS32
10-25-06, 01:45 PM
The monte carlo SS would be a solid car. The 3.8L in those is bulletproof and will run 200k miles no problem. The S/C really adds some boogie too. You'll have fun modding that as well. Smaller pulley, intake, exhaust, and you're sitting over 300hp at the wheels!

slk230mb
10-25-06, 07:28 PM
Dope, only pre 2000 Eldo's needed premium. The 2000+ Northstars work just fine on regular.

DopeStar 156
10-25-06, 10:17 PM
The monte carlo SS would be a solid car. The 3.8L in those is bulletproof and will run 200k miles no problem. The S/C really adds some boogie too. You'll have fun modding that as well. Smaller pulley, intake, exhaust, and you're sitting over 300hp at the wheels!

I know..... I think I'm starting to lean towards the MC SS..... :lildevil:

Night Wolf
10-25-06, 10:31 PM
the FWD dosn't bother me. I'd love a '95 ETC or a '97-'99 s/c Riviera, both of which are FWD... dosn't matter.

I have owned 2 FWD and 2 RWD vehicles, both have thier good and bad, for a daily driver, it makes no difference at all either. I am also biased towards a real ladder frame instead of unibody designs... which both of my RWD vehicles are/have been. The CTS is a unibody, right? Personally the interior in them are junk. Sorry, its an awesome looking car outside, and the 3.6 and 6spd kicks butt, but the interior is a very important factor for me, as its where I spend all my time, if the interior is bad, then it really drags the car down. Otherwise I'd be all over a CTS in a few years... but I absolutly hate the interior.

On the same note, the last gen Eldo, 1995 ETC being my favorite, has an absolutly amazing interior, I really like the 90's Cadillac tear-drop dash, one of the best ever. That, the Eldo nameplate, the styling, the 2-door, the frameless doors, raised fenders etc.... and the Northstar are what would easily make me get an Eldo over a CTS. Plus the are cheaper. As far as I am concerned, the only thing the CTS has over the Eldo, is the manual transmission option, which I am now hooked on.

At least the interior for the '08 CTS solves the issue... I like it alot....if it stays like this.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/1097

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-25-06, 11:17 PM
Eldorado.

Monte Carlo? What the ****? Come on dude, get your head in the game!!

Is this new car gonna be a winter or summer car? If you're gonna replace the Malibu which was your winter car, I'd stay away from a light RWD car like a CTS. I can't imagine that would be any good in the snow. An Eldorado or MC would be good in the snow, but I hate the way the MC looks inside and out, and an Eldorado IMO is too nice to be a winter car. If you really wanted a 3800 Coupe, you could easily get a Supercharged Riviera or a Grand Prix GT/ GTP Coupe.

ChicagoCTS32
10-25-06, 11:24 PM
CTS isn't too bad in snow if you're patient. I didn't feel like I was any worse off in my CTS last year as I have been in the last two FWD cars I've owned. Agreed, FWD is usually better, but it also depends a lot on the driver.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-25-06, 11:46 PM
Opportunity knocks? I guess opportunity is the Cadillac 4.9L V8! Damn main bearing thump!

dp102288
10-26-06, 09:15 AM
If you are worried about fuel, I thin kthe Monte is the next best choice.

i hate to drive RWDs in NJ winters. I would also hate to drive a stick in the winter+traffic.

Jesda
10-26-06, 09:55 AM
I hate few cars more than the current Monte Carlo.

gothicaleigh
10-26-06, 11:42 AM
Monte Carlo?! Booo! <hiss> Boo!

The Eldorado is one of the best designs Cadillac ever had and the CTS is one of the best driving Cadillacs ever. How could you even consider, much less lean towards, a Monte against those two?

caddycruiser
10-26-06, 10:03 PM
Well, unless you want to rebuild a wrecked one, I hardly doubt you'll ever find a CTS--even with a ton of miles--in close to the price range of those other cars.

So, sad to say it, but IF you do get the chance for a new "daily" car, it's likely going to be one of those FWD choices. Not a bad thing, but a CTS is just kinda out there in level and price in comparison.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-26-06, 10:34 PM
Dopestar, why not a 4.9 or N* deVille?

Wiseguy2
10-27-06, 12:16 AM
IMO THe Monte Carlo doesn't have a lot going for it. But that's just me.

CTS is a GREAT car as we know :) That $99/mo deal is not to be trusted. If you're ready to pull the trigger, I can help.. I used to be a dealer and can help ya figure out #s and such.

FWIW, I have a GREAT Contact @ Brogan in Totowa, real no BS guy.

Bill

Jesda
10-27-06, 12:16 AM
70k+ CTS, I've seen for just under 11k. Thats with the old Omega/Catera engine though.

DopeStar 156
10-27-06, 01:12 AM
Eldorado.

Monte Carlo? What the ****? Come on dude, get your head in the game!!

Is this new car gonna be a winter or summer car? If you're gonna replace the Malibu which was your winter car, I'd stay away from a light RWD car like a CTS. I can't imagine that would be any good in the snow. An Eldorado or MC would be good in the snow, but I hate the way the MC looks inside and out, and an Eldorado IMO is too nice to be a winter car. If you really wanted a 3800 Coupe, you could easily get a Supercharged Riviera or a Grand Prix GT/ GTP Coupe.

Sorry, but the 00's Monte Carlo SS's are causing drool puddles right now. Especially the black. I'm ruling out the Eldorado for fuel economy reasons and if I'm gonna replace my Malibu, it's gotta be newer, not older. The CTS is also ruled out since as much as I'd love one they're just outta my budget. I can't find a CTS for under $10,000. I've been finding Montes for less than $10,000 with like 64k on them and there's tons of black SS's around. The truth is ever since I let my Mark VII go years ago I've been wanting another full size performance coupe, and 300 HP with a supercharger sounds pretty sweet right now.....

http://i16.ebayimg.com/04/a/08/b6/9a/fe_1.JPG

Jesda
10-27-06, 02:46 AM
Weird, but okay. Sounds like fun.

Destroyer
10-27-06, 07:33 AM
Did you even run it by the old man to see if he will even let you do this?. Not for nothing but why would you want to use a newer $10k car as your beater and not your old Fleetwood?. $10k could buy you a sweet "toy" car.

dp102288
10-27-06, 08:06 AM
Dope, check the New Jersey Craigslist ads. Lots of Caddys there, even for cheap. I have seen some Carlos there too.

http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/nj

I guess pick the one you are in...:D