: P0533... fuel gauge is going nuts

sprj
10-24-06, 10:05 PM
I looked up this code and saw that is "FUEL SENSOR OPEN/SHORTED TO B+". Can anybody translate this and tell me what I need to do to remedy this and what I might expect it to cost me?

Odin8
10-24-06, 10:52 PM
This means your sensor in the tank has bit it. The wonderful thing is that the sensor is incorporated into the pump and everything else, so it has to be replaced as a unit, which means dropping the tank. I'm looking at it pretty soon myself, cause my pump is starting to whine, and I was told about 500-600 bucks.

Depending on the year of your car the tank has to be dropped or can by accessed through a panel under the rear seat. I believe 98+ has the panel, 97 and below you need to drop the tank.

zonie77
10-24-06, 11:35 PM
You might try fuel injector cleaner. Some gas additives will cause problems with the sensor. Use it per the instructions, do not use it stronger than recommended.

If it works it's a lot cheaper than the sensor.

ewill3rd
10-25-06, 12:10 PM
Probably needs a "fuel level sensor kit".
It is serviceable separately from the pump module for almost any car I can remember with a modular pump.
It would be nice to know what kind of car we are talking about, like year and model.
Getting to the sensor does vary based on the model and year.
Some you have to remove the tank, some have an access panel in the trunk.

sprj
10-25-06, 02:40 PM
Probably needs a "fuel level sensor kit".
It is serviceable separately from the pump module for almost any car I can remember with a modular pump.
It would be nice to know what kind of car we are talking about, like year and model.
Getting to the sensor does vary based on the model and year.
Some you have to remove the tank, some have an access panel in the trunk.

IT'S A '97 SLS...

ewill3rd
10-25-06, 05:56 PM
The tank needs to be drained and taken out.
You'd have to call to be sure, maybe look online, I think GM list price for the sensor kit is $175 or so.
I am sure the teeth are worn off the sensor.
I see a lot of them.
I posted pictures of a worn out one somewhere a while back.

sprj
10-26-06, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the info.