: 97 Catera rear negative camber..kit avail?

Serobin88
10-24-06, 08:37 PM
My 97 Catera has developed negative camber in both rear wheels. Cadillic made the car to "need no adjustment" of rear camber, either negative--the most common problem--or positive. Great feature and selling point!

But, when it DOES need rear camber adjustment, what does one do? Is there any sort of kit available for the REAR camber? Seems the web offers none for sale unless an entire lowering of the car's suspension to be able to race around looking age 20 and really cool is done first.

A Cadillac dealer suggested a check out of the "flotation system." Normally, I do not use the car for any sort of boating or deep-sea fishing, so I am not so sure of the meaning here of "flotation system."

Might new SPRINGS solve the problem, rather than an apparently unavailable rear camber adjustment bolt or kit?

Any ideas out there?

netager
10-24-06, 09:14 PM
I have know idea about condition of your springs. The camber kit is available if you do some research or at least seach ;) "floating system" is leveling system - my guess. I did lowering of my 2001 Catera Sport not for "racing around" - more for looks. Really happy with the results. And the lowering done right - with right alignment settings - research, research, research...
Here (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/82822-update-intrax-lowering-springs-front-rear.html) is some info.
http://www.computersxp.com/catera/CIMG0852sm.jpg

Serobin88
10-26-06, 07:33 AM
Thank you, Netager.

cateraowners
11-18-06, 08:01 AM
I'd be curious to know the mileage of your car and how far out it is, what the actual readings are. There appear to be at least three Aussie kits for adjusting rear camber that involve replacing either one or both bushings on each rear control arm, as well as another U.S. made kit for the GTO made by SLP that I found a guy used on another Catera he'd dropped from another Web site - but you wouldn't have to lower the car to use any of these bushing kits. There are also non-adjustable bushing upgrade kits for the GTO. I am dealing with this same issue on a 2001 Sport. I'd also be cuious to know if you're consistently carrying a lot of weight in the trunk. Cadillac sells no rear bushings for the cars, only full arms, and it's a $2700 dealer repair. Be aware that there are reports going back years on the European Opel Omega groups of deteriorating rear suspension bushings at 75,000 miles as well. There are also other bushings in the rear end that may be suspect, but as for adjusting the rear camber, it appears these Commodore or GTO rear camber kits may be the only way available.

netager
11-20-06, 05:58 PM
The car has around 50k and the suspension was done for looks and better handling. Mostly for looks :) I called to INTRAX and talked to the guy who actually designs those springs - he promissed that it will be around 30% more stiff than stock catera or only 10% more than sport edition. Well, it is not as stiff as some lowered civics but probably more than 10%. Still it rides as a caddy but with bmw training ;) I posted some more info about the kit I used in another topic abut INTRAX springs, in short: both bushings are adjustable - one adjustes camber, another toe. I was looking at the kit from SLP, too. GTO is Catera's "relative" and I know that the springs will fit, it also has pretty much subframe, etc. I assumed that the camber kit will fit too. why did I got with the Aussie one? Well, the cheapest SLP kit I saw was $185USD plus shipping. I got one from AUS for $185AUS wich was around $160USD I beleive. Saved some money :) Plus I don't remember how to install SLP kit - read other topic about INTRAX spring and outer bushing bolt clearace. Also the seller was very cooperative and provided exact measurements of the bushings before I ordered them.

I think that rear camber is OK bitween 1.5-1.75. I went with 1.5 I think. I didn't carry a lot of weight in the trunk... Had one trip with 5 people on board - no problems.

The kit with one bushing that you are talking about for older commondors I beleive - not sure - but I think it will not fit Catera.

There is a bushing replacement procedure in shop manual so I don't now why they don't sell bushings separetly from arms.

It was pain in the neck to take the bushing out. The outer one went out relatevly easy - the inner one I had to drill holes in rubber to remove the center piece, and then cut the plastic shell around the bushing from inside with sawzal. Installation was easier and pretty straight forward...

cateraowners
11-20-06, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the info...very helpful. My Sport's at a dealer in Detroit as we speak - they may replace the control arms in the rear, or may not. I have spoken with the AUS supplier via e-mail - My car is well over 2 degrees negative, and I am concerned travelling with extra weight in the rear for extended periods might be aggravating it. I think Cadillac sold a rear bushing kit at one time and may have dropped it - still investigating. I will go to 1.5 if it gets to that. Guys who sell one of the Aussie kits here for GTO's heat the bushings up to get them out. Again, my thanks for the info.

The car has around 50k and the suspension was done for looks and better handling. Mostly for looks :) I called to INTRAX and talked to the guy who actually designs those springs - he promissed that it will be around 30% more stiff than stock catera or only 10% more than sport edition. Well, it is not as stiff as some lowered civics but probably more than 10%. Still it rides as a caddy but with bmw training ;) I posted some more info about the kit I used in another topic abut INTRAX springs, in short: both bushings are adjustable - one adjustes camber, another toe. I was looking at the kit from SLP, too. GTO is Catera's "relative" and I know that the springs will fit, it also has pretty much subframe, etc. I assumed that the camber kit will fit too. why did I got with the Aussie one? Well, the cheapest SLP kit I saw was $185USD plus shipping. I got one from AUS for $185AUS wich was around $160USD I beleive. Saved some money :) Plus I don't remember how to install SLP kit - read other topic about INTRAX spring and outer bushing bolt clearace. Also the seller was very cooperative and provided exact measurements of the bushings before I ordered them.

I think that rear camber is OK bitween 1.5-1.75. I went with 1.5 I think. I didn't carry a lot of weight in the trunk... Had one trip with 5 people on board - no problems.

The kit with one bushing that you are talking about for older commondors I beleive - not sure - but I think it will not fit Catera.

There is a bushing replacement procedure in shop manual so I don't now why they don't sell bushings separetly from arms.

It was pain in the neck to take the bushing out. The outer one went out relatevly easy - the inner one I had to drill holes in rubber to remove the center piece, and then cut the plastic shell around the bushing from inside with sawzal. Installation was easier and pretty straight forward...