: Trans Solenoids??

Aurora By Olds
10-24-06, 06:34 PM
1995 Aurora 4.0 V8, 4T80E
I have heard about the trans solenoids being a problem on the early 1994-1995 build models. Mine is an early 1995, so I assume it has the composite housed (older) shift solenoids.
Just tonight, I lost 4th completely along with converter lockup, and compression braking in 3rd only. 2nd and 1st still have compression braking.
Startout, and 1-2 shifts seem to slip a little sometimes, but 3rd seems to be tight as hell.
If I let it try to go into 4th, there is nothing at all. If when in 4th, I stomp it (so it will auto downshift to 3 or 2) it will downshift and engage tightly, like it should.
Sound like a solenoid problem, or worse?

Ranger
10-24-06, 08:23 PM
Sounds like solenoids to me.

zonie77
10-24-06, 08:32 PM
:yeah:

The way to be sure is pull the pan and look.

Ranger, where's the "what he said" smiley?

Ranger
10-24-06, 09:26 PM
Don't ever recall seeing one. You've got the closest thing I have seen to it.

Aurora By Olds
10-24-06, 10:07 PM
:yeah:

The way to be sure is pull the pan and look.

Ranger, where's the "what he said" smiley?

Look, as in a broken solenoid housing?

Aurora By Olds
10-24-06, 10:08 PM
The only concern I have, is that there is no ck eng light, which really doesn't suprise me, being the OBDI/II crossover that year

zonie77
10-24-06, 11:42 PM
Aurora,

If the solenoid is cracked or worn it may not give a code. I think it only senses the coil failing. Quite a few people have not had DTC's with failing solenoids.

Aurora By Olds
10-25-06, 05:05 AM
Alright, thanks all.

Aurora By Olds
10-25-06, 08:20 PM
One more Q...
It doesnt appear that I need any specialty tools for this. The book doesnt give a good diagram of the solenoids, other than their location. Does the lower valve body need to come off to change the solenoids, or can they easily be replaced by just dropping the pan/filter?

zonie77
10-25-06, 08:34 PM
Look here

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/50287-seville-sls-96-transmission-please-help.html

Tommy Deville
10-27-06, 12:09 AM
I leased a 95 Auora in 99 as soon as I drove of the lot i had a Service engine light, and no speedometer, had that fixed than the car would not start, needed a fuel Fliter, than My trans stoped shifting in 2 OD...I knew it was a computer prolbem, turned out it was a seliniod, THAN there was a loud wisteling from the motor and a clunking noise from the front, had a vaccum leak and needed ball joints......Finally after 3 months of back and forth to the dealorship it was fine, than I started getting a horrile hesiation and a service engine light, replaced plugs wires Ingniton module, nothing helped, than the Motor seized when the A/C compressor frooze up and broke a cam, O man what a nightmare, got a used motor and about a month after i got the car back The main computer crashed and the car dies on the side of the garden state parkway going up the Rartain Bridge in heavy traffic in the far middle lane at 85 MPH, after that Debacle with 4 months remaing on my lease i left the car at he service staion told them to fix it and leased a VW passat I bought he olds back when the lease was up. car was a nightmare, my dad had a 2000 and had a few computer prolbems in the beginging but after that was fixed he never had a second of trouble...I think since the 95 models were actually released in mid 94 and it was the first year for that car thats why they have the most prolbems, i did love that car, such a beautifull looking car,I always got compliments, I remember one night driving my dads car I pulled up to my friends house, and her friend looked out the window and asked whos that driving the space ship! Damm shame, damm shame!

Aurora By Olds
10-27-06, 06:54 PM
Got the unit apart and back together again. Ended up being a broken solenoid. The only thing I am rather worried about is the ball I found in the pan when it was removed. (attached pic) Any idea where it would have come from? It is smaller than those of the valve body, so I am assuming maybe it is part of the shift linkage or possibly came from inside the broken solenoid??
Anyway, its going back in tomorrow regardless, as soon as I clean up the mess it made in the kitchen and bathtub :-)

zonie77
10-27-06, 10:23 PM
If the solenoid was broken the ball came out of it.

Aurora By Olds
10-28-06, 02:20 AM
Alright, thats what I thought.
The solenoid was definitgly broken, I have some good documentation of it all.
It was a lot more stright foreward than the manual shows.
I'll throw it together tomorrow and see what happens. I expect it to be good as new.
I can post a start to finish documentation as soon as I get it together. Thank you all for your help. :-)