: Deck Installation

Jon_AC
10-24-06, 12:22 PM
I am considering putting a new deck in my catera.

Has anyone done this themselves?
If so, can you tell me how to remove the stock deck.
My concern is that I dont want to break any clips in the process.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

J.A.C

heavycat
10-24-06, 07:12 PM
I reasently put a 2 din nav unit im my 2000 cat. to remove the factory you first have to remove the two small panels around the heated seat nobs. just use a pic or a small flat head and pry the the little panel off, its a bout and inch wide. behind them you will see a philips screw behind each one. take those out. Then remove the tray from inside the flip out ashtray, you will see another screw, remove that, and the hole ashtray will come out, then just pull off the whole panel around the deck and disconnect all the plugs. Then its four screws for the deck and your done:thumbsup: if you have anymore questions let me know

Jon_AC
10-25-06, 11:30 AM
I noticed you said that you have a 2000 model. I have a 1998
The 2000 model has a different look around the deck, Are the clips in the same place?

Just want to be sure before i start popin it off.

Also is there anything I should know about taking out the anti-theft deck.
I heard that if i take it out something will triger a sensor, and the car wont start.
Probly a bunch of giberish, just thought i'd ask.

heavycat
10-25-06, 03:29 PM
Im not sure about the difference between the two models, as far as the anti-theft, when it is triggered it usually will stop the deck from working at most, it shouldnt prevent the starting of the vehicle. I dont think the cat even has that feature

Jon_AC
10-28-06, 04:31 PM
Still lookin for some help towards getting my new deck installed into my 98 Catera.

Thinkin of doin it myself, or through a company.(Futershop, Auto Trendz, etc..)

I called future shop and they told me that i need some adapter that will cost about $200.

Does anybody know if this adapter is required for the installation, or what adapter it is that I need.

Any input would be great.
Thanks
JAC

heavycat
10-28-06, 07:38 PM
:thumbsup:I acutally work for futureshop as an installer. For some vehicles it is neccesary to use a mod, for some reason some cateras may require the mod. My 2000 was listed as a mod required vehicle, but i didnt need one. Some require the factory deck to be wired in, again mine didnt require that either. I believe you only require the mod if you choose to integrate the factory amps. I bypasssed the amps and used the deck power, and the sound is actually much better than factory. I even had the bose system and there is still a big improvement. I would reccomend that you take it to installed professionally and have them at least attempt to intsall it without the mod. I hope this helps:thumbsup: