: Timesert VS NS300L Insert System

jholland
10-24-06, 10:59 AM
Does anyone with first hand experience have a preference. I work 5 mile from the NS300L Insert System location. One thing that really concerns me is the Timesert system has two kits available "first try and second try":confused: . I've seen N* engines on ebay with cracked blocks apparently due to timeserts.

I don't know if it make a differnce but on my engine the two lower bolts on no.4 cylinder were loose when I took the heads off. The other bolts came out without stripping the threads.

MUGSANDLUKE
10-24-06, 11:35 AM
It's not for "first try - second try". If for some reason you have to tremove the heads after using the timeserts you can't re-insert them without increasing the diameter for a better bite. Hence the reason for the"2nd" kit with a slightly oversized diameter. From everything posted, they are still the best way to go.

dkozloski
10-24-06, 11:40 AM
It's not for "first try - second try". If for some reason you have to tremove the heads after using the timeserts you can't re-insert them without increasing the diameter for a better bite. Hence the reason for the"2nd" kit with a slightly oversized diameter. From everything posted, they are still the best way to go.

There is a Bigsert kit if you strip out a Timesert.

zonie77
10-24-06, 01:39 PM
I've done timeserts and don't see how you could crack the block from installing them.

I assume the NS300L kit is the one from ebay. It looks OK to me but I have no first hand knowledge of it. If you use it give us a review. It looks like the inserts are longer but I don't have them to compare.

dhm37
01-22-07, 05:19 PM
I used the Timesert Kit on a 95, and the NS300L Kit on a 98, both STS w/blown HGs. Two of the Timeserts gave way on the last torking. The NS300L inserts held, but then, they are grabbing a lot more real estate

The NS300L system has an aluminum block as an alignment gauge, whereas the Timesert has a steel guage that actually bolts to the block for each hole. The NS300L block has to be clamped to the block, which was a bit tricky until I got the hang of it.

Bottom line, I plan on using NS300L system on a 97 STS that is next in line for rebuild. Just be careful not to drill any deeper than the original bolt hole, or you will see daylight ;-).

Cad tech
01-22-07, 09:14 PM
You need to let them sit overnight with the thread locker installed... If you the inserts gave on last tourquing either you installed wrong or your block was crystalized to much for it to hold...And you can crack the block when installing..if you missaligned the hole...if primary inserts do not hold kent-moore has the oversized and they are excellent, but you need the kit..

zonie77
01-23-07, 09:31 AM
..And you can crack the block when installing..if you missaligned the hole...

You are correct. You can break anything if you try hard enough! :hide: I probably should have added ..."if you follow the instructions."

brown1904
01-28-07, 10:52 PM
i have used the ns300l kit. it worked perfectly and was easy to use, just very very time consuming.

nirol6962
08-20-11, 04:17 AM
I live in New Zealand and have a right hand drive Seville imported from Japan. After the head gasket went the mechanic pulled the motor out took the heads off then did the research and found out how notorious this problem was. He wanted $2500USD just to get inserts fitted, (he had to ship the block, stripped 350 miles to get this done) He concluded this wasn’t worth doing due to cost and asked me to bring a big trailer and take the car and all away. In desperation I searched the web and found the NS300L inserts. I brought the motor home on a trailer, fitted the inserts then gave it back to the mechanic to put it all back together. That was two years and about 25000 miles ago, still going strong. I used a good battery drill and a few spanners in a car port. It took about a week doing a couple of hours a night. I read this forum at the time which helped me choose those inserts.

Submariner409
08-20-11, 10:35 AM
Those that have used the NS300 inserts swear by them, ............remainder deleted pending answer to a related question.

TCLane
06-26-12, 12:46 PM
If you're looking for a NS300L kit cheap, I just posted one on Ebay. It was only used once to repair my Northstar. Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/200783261694?item=200783261694&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

IXSLR8
06-28-12, 03:01 AM
I've done two 1996 Northstars using Norm's inserts. Work perfectly without a hitch. Thanks to his idea, we have more N* on the road again.

bigtone
06-29-12, 03:39 PM
I've done 2 h/g jobs, first 3 years ago with the timeserts, more recently with Norm's. Although the timeserts worked fine, I like Norm's way better. Much more robust, I would be very surprised if one failed.