driverkim00
10-23-06, 10:24 PM
I have a catera 98.
I am using 225/55R/16 tires.
Can I use 225/60r/16 tires?
Thank you!

'01CateraSport
10-24-06, 11:56 AM
Yea, all that will do is make your sidewall one size bigger, which will not be a problem at all. It will work perfect.

passionaterage
10-26-06, 05:46 PM
I see that someone said it would work perfect, and it may. I'll just tell you my experience. I know there's a big difference in price of the 2 sizes, so I got a brand new set of the 60 series tires, trying to save a few bucks. They looked really good, but when I turned, they would rub the fenderwell on the inside of the tire. I ran them about a week and decided to get the right size off ebay. Found a set of brand new Falkens for 200 bucks. Luckily I just bought a car that can use the 60 series tires, so it all worked out. By the way, I have a 97. Hope this helps.

jimmyk
10-27-06, 08:36 AM
60's will work on rear but not on front. I put 225/60r/16 winter tires on rear and left 55's on front . No problem with handling

'01CateraSport
10-27-06, 09:50 AM
My stock size is 235/35-17 and i put on 245/45-17 and i have no problem at all.

'01CateraSport
10-27-06, 09:57 AM
Actually, come to think of it, my stock size might be 235/45-17, i know i went with a wider tire. Not sure if it is any taller or not.

caterashaker
11-14-06, 09:41 AM
I'm sorry to disagree with jimmyk but the 225/60's worked just fine for me front & back on my 1998. As a matter of fact, they're usually cheaper than the 55's. Look folks, these are heavy cars so they're going to eat tires and brakes. I go to a dependable USED tire place and buy used tires at a fraction of the price of new ones. The best so far have been the set that came with the car that were made by Mastercraft. In a close 2nd are the Michelin Pilots I have on the rear right now. I have to use a good all-season tire because we get 4 seasons here where I live. I use Blizzacks in the real hard winter snow but I try to hold off as long as I can. My Blizzacks are actually 215/65's because in snow 7 ice you need a thinner tire. If you're lucky enough to live in an area where the sun shines most of the time, I'd say that the Goodyear RSA'a are a good choice. They're excellent on dry roads and decent in the rain. I've had a used set of these on my Cat the I got from a totalled cop car in the 225/60 size and they worked great.

caterashaker
11-14-06, 09:49 AM
I had a typo on my last post; I got the RSA's from a totalled cop car and they worked great. In my opinion as well as all the mechanics that I've talked to (and that's a whole bunch) there is no significant difference between the 55's & the 60's. I've used both and the biggest difference I noticed was that the ride was BETTER with the 60's with no appreciable difference in handling. In the end, the choice is yours. Drop me a line if you want any more info; I'm glad to pass on anything I learned from my Catera.

Warez
11-14-06, 02:52 PM
How much did it cost to correct the speedo becasue of diameter change?

caterashaker
11-14-06, 06:52 PM
nothing because it didnt affect the speedo

caterashaker
11-16-06, 09:54 AM
Hey passionaterage, what did you do with the 60's that you bought.

caterashaker
11-16-06, 09:58 AM
Also passionaterage, how many miles does your Cat have on it? If you haven't changed the shocks (struts) in a while, the suspension might be sagging just enough for the 60's to rub against the fenderwells. I've changed them on other cars and the ride height has increased as much as 2 inches...just a thought. As I said earlier, the 60's worked fine on myu '98.

Warez
11-16-06, 12:25 PM
nothing because it didnt affect the speedo

You are changing the wheel diameter therefore both the speedometer and odometer will be reading incorrectly.

caterashaker
11-24-06, 07:51 PM
Incorrect on both counts.Trust me, I checked with a police radar & laser and it's dead on. We are talking about mere millimeters not 6 or 7 inches. There is a minute difference which will NOT show up in mph or on the odometer.

PEETYZ
11-26-06, 03:55 PM
If you have stock rims i would stick with the size 225 55r 16 I got new tires made by Lemans for a great price and I love them they are around 80 dollars a piece good luck Lemans is a firestone company by the way

caterashaker
11-28-06, 09:08 PM
Hey Pete, where did you find the LeMans tires at? I put on my semi-winter tires on the rears which are a pair of Goodyear Conquests that are p225/60's that I actually got for FREE! Some kind person who was going to throw them away gave them to me. They actually still had the new little, "spikes," on them. I put my Michelin Pilots that are thr p225/55's on the front; pretty good ride so far with no problems but the LeMans have me intrigued.

Warez
11-29-06, 02:54 AM
Incorrect on both counts.Trust me, I checked with a police radar & laser and it's dead on. We are talking about mere millimeters not 6 or 7 inches. There is a minute difference which will NOT show up in mph or on the odometer.

Your car came stock with 225/55 16 right?

When you change to 225/60 16 you will be increasing the wheel diameter and therefore both speedometer and odometer will read lower (they both operate from the same reluctor located on the transmission outputshaft).

To be exact stock dia was 2053.8mm, now 2123.9mm, thats a 3.4% difference. So every 1000 miles your reading will be 34 miles lower, likewise at 60 mph you will read 58 mph.

Granted the speed reading is negligible but the odometer is not.

caterashaker
12-01-06, 12:12 AM
...and that's a bad thing because...? The speedo is dead on my freind, not 58 when showing 60 and personally, I'm not going to take a yard stick and measure the mileage difference on the odometer. By the way, not all tire makers' tires are the same size as far as height, width ect. even in the same stated size i.e. p225/55/16's. Look at your own numbers; even if they're correct, the difference is marginal. Anyone can burn off the difference with a couple of long road trips or good burn-outs...on an approved track of course.

PEETYZ
12-04-06, 05:37 PM
Hey caterashaker i got my lemans tires at the firestone dealer and have full insurance on them (flat or free damage repair) http://www.lemanstire.com/
try that and click on the find dealer tab at the top of the page here is the tire i have great tire great price shines great http://www.lemanstire.com/tires/catalog/lemans-championhr.jsp 225/55r16 is your best bet