: Oil Plug Stripped

Hoosier
10-22-06, 07:59 PM
Is this a common problem? I've taken it to two oil change places, and they both couldn't get the plug out.

How expensive is this to fix?

TitanCTS
10-29-06, 05:20 PM
Not really an expensive fix..I stripped the threads on my plug 2 weeks ago....I just tapped the hole and installed a new thicker spare drain plug from an audi.. All is well...Heat up the plug a bit and get a pair of vise grips and grab really tight and break it loose and install a new plug and have a beer! :thumbsup:

CadiCatera98
10-30-06, 09:35 PM
I stripped mine also when I first got my Catera, was a Simple Fix.

Hoosier
11-01-06, 10:02 AM
Dealership is saying the threads are badly damaged and that'll need a new oil pan? Does that sound right?

finnster
07-24-07, 05:55 PM
My car is at a firestone with the drain plug supposedly stripped. :bigroll: What diameter is the existing one? I'm thinking about just ramping up one size and tapping an SAE instead of the metric? Anyone have experience with this?

ewill3rd
07-24-07, 07:15 PM
Some Cateras use a TORX style drainplug. The real issue is that most TORX wrenches won't fit in there and when they do, the guys that do it use the wrong size so it gets stripped.
Couple that with the fact that most lube jockeys think the drain plug holds the car together so they put both feet on the frame and pull as hard as they can to tighten it....

I can't speak for Opel, who built that fine engine... but GM figured out years ago that you should make the drain plug softer than the pan so if you strip it, the plug is ruined but the pan is okay. I'd try replacing the drain plug first, make sure they don't overtighten it and if they can't get one in, then you might need an oil pan.

bacardi
04-20-09, 08:03 PM
Anyone know where to get them? Reg auto part store?