: 98 STS Head Unit upgrade!!! (HELP!!!!)

D_Lac
10-21-06, 10:06 PM
I have a 98 STS and I am trying to upgrade the head unit to a Kenwood KVT-617, I was told that Peripheral now makes a Class II interface called a GMAH32 which can interface any aftermarket unit with the factory bose amplifier and speakers. CAN THIS BE DONE?!? HAS ANYONE HERE DONE IT OR KNOW OF SOMEONE WHO HAS ON THIS MODEL CAR?? SOMEONE HELP ME OUT PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CadillacSTS42005
10-21-06, 10:18 PM
lol
dude
been done
though idk about the GMAH32
you should get the metra axxess gmos-06
thats been tested and proven to work thus far by many on the forum!

D_Lac
10-21-06, 11:03 PM
ETC97 are you sure that the GMC6-06 will work, I thought it only worked on non bose systems? You know of anyone who as tried on a 98 STS and been successful? Oh by the way I can't send you a private message ( don't have 50pts ) and not sure how to IM and yes I do need help right away! Thanks

CadillacSTS42005
10-21-06, 11:16 PM
yes
im 100% positive
the gmos-03 is for 32 pin lacs without bose
i have the gmos-06 b.c i replaced my bose system on my Eldo
Dadillac has the gmos-06 on his none bose car a 00+ Deville and it works great
the gmos-06 is for cadillacs with amped systems INCLUDING bose

CadillacSTS42005
10-21-06, 11:18 PM
heres the site i found that sells it the cheapest
and MUCH cheaper than the gmah32
its 65 bucks believe me ive searched high and low for the cheapest lac audio components to help guys out on the fourm!
Kiosk2Click METRA GMOS-06 (http://www.kiosk2click.com/acatalog/info_37.html?extlink=1&mysid=307&ext_filename=Car_Audio_Access_.html)

D_Lac
10-21-06, 11:32 PM
ETC97, ok so it does work for the 98 STS with the Bose Amplified Systems. Cool I am going to order it right away and get back to you with the results. If this works Man thanks in advance!! You wouldn't believe how difficult it has been to get this thing installed no one seems to know how to do it without completely taking the bose amp, system and speakers out and putting in new one. Like I said thanks in advance and I'll let you know how things go.

Does anyone else know if the GMAH32 will actually work on this model car, has anyone tried?? I only ask because my local shop has one in and if it works I'll use it and pay the extra money!! I am feedup and I want this to be over with ASSAP! :mad2: :banghead: :bomb:

CadillacSTS42005
10-21-06, 11:51 PM
no problem
i dont kno of anyone who has used the gmah32 to be honest and i know most everyones systems
i replaced all my bose, my bose system wasnt that great it was the old 4 speaker system, my dads 98 STS has your system and i must say that bose system is amazing and worth keeping. I used the gmos-03 to save money and b.c i wasnt keeping the bose, i rewired my car myself installed my own hu (pioneer avic-n1) took me about 4 hours to do everything (new hu, rewire, new speaks, subs, amps etc...)

D_Lac
10-22-06, 12:00 AM
ETC97 has your fathers head unit in the 98 STS been replaced? If so how does the sound differ with the new HU working through the bose amp and speakers? Is the quality the same?

CadillacSTS42005
10-22-06, 12:04 AM
nah hes more for stock
what i PLAN on doing it buying a DVD 03+ Stock Navi system to install in his car with some wiring.
i have herd though that with the added output of the rcas and controling the volume at the hu and the amp the sound is LOUDER and BETTER however with more power it also poses more of a risk of blowing those expensive bose speaks

D_Lac
10-22-06, 12:09 AM
GOOD GOD!!! MAN I HOPE THIS WORKS!!!:annoyed:

CHRIST, I've had the hardest time convincing people that the bose system I have is worth keeping everyone want me to spend upwards of $1000 to replace it and to me that just makes no since. What a pain in the %$#@ this has been so far. PLEASE WORK!!! I'll back to you in a couple of days.
:bomb: :thehand:

CadillacSTS42005
10-22-06, 12:22 AM
yuh man
your system if you WERE to rewire
youed need like 2 4 channel amps to run all the speaks and another amp for the subs
less you downgraded to only 4 speakers
it really is a great sounding system bose wasnt ment to be "loud" so to speak, it was ment to be accurate and quality sounding.

D_Lac
10-24-06, 08:55 PM
ITS DONE!!! GAME OVER!!!!:want: THE KENWOOD KVT-617DVD IS IN!!:thumbsup:

Yo ETC97 I owe you one homey, it worked!!! I'll be taking pictures shortly and posting them on the site sometime tomorrow. Case closed if you have a 98 STS and you want to upgrade the HU heres the instructions you follow.

1. Order the Metra 99-2005 Deville/Seville Kit
2. Order the Metra GMOS-06 and an antenna

Have the unit installed and thats it, the new head unit will play through the factory amp and speakers and sound does not decrease, in fact it increases the loudness. I'll be posting pics tomorrow. Pimp-mode in full effect.

CadillacSTS42005
10-24-06, 09:47 PM
told ya it should be louder
some people also have told me your wheel controls continue to work as well

D_Lac
10-25-06, 12:55 PM
Hmmmm, the wheel controls don't work at least not so far as I can tell, in addition I can hear this whistling noise coming from the speakers in front, no doubt its engine noise because when I hit the gas pedel it gets sharper and louder. Have any ideas about that?

CadillacSTS42005
10-25-06, 03:58 PM
did you run any power wires by the amp?
may be just a deville thing that maintains the wheel controls he told me with his gmos06 that you could control the volume of the hu with the hu and the volume of the amp with the wheel controls (kinda like a gain nob)

Dadillac
10-25-06, 04:35 PM
With the GMOS-06, the "VOL" button, controls the factory amp volume. It will not actually lower the volume of the HU. With the aftermarket HU, you now have two volume controls. This isn't an issue, unless you have a seperate externally amped component, like a subwoofer. Then if you use the steering wheel control to lower the volume, all of the speakers will lower, as they are running through the factory amp. The subwoofer will continue to play at the same level, as it doesn't run through the factory amp. I just set my "VOL" switch all the way up, and adjust thrugh the HU. The "SEL" switch becomes a fader control. Since the GMOS-06 uses RCA's to get the speaker signal from the aftermarket HU, it can only run 2 channel. So all of the left and right speakers run through one RCA. So the "SEL" button will now adjust the power to the front and rear speakers. I hope this makes sense.

Don

D_Lac
10-26-06, 11:32 PM
You let me do some experimenting with those controls I didn't know that they still worked. I'll get back with you in a sec.

D_Lac
10-30-06, 07:47 AM
I checked the steering wheel controls out and got nothing I don't think they still work at all. I am still hearing that whistling noise out of my front speakers though. Even if I turn the HU off totally the noise still persists and its volume changes when I press the gas pedal anyone know what the problem might be here.

CadillacSTS42005
10-30-06, 09:01 AM
have to have some power wire too close to the speaker wires
did you run power wires for subs?

D_Lac
10-30-06, 10:04 AM
Not sure exactly how the guy wired everything up he said that he seperated the power wires but obviously something is wrong I'll have him check that.

CadillacSTS42005
10-30-06, 01:36 PM
wait
"the guy"
who did the install?

D_Lac
10-30-06, 01:44 PM
I took it to a local shop, and had them install the unit.

CadillacSTS42005
10-30-06, 02:35 PM
as long as it wasnt best buy or cc....
you could of done this yourself would i been very easy to do save youself a couple bucks and then i could know exactly what was done to try and help

D_Lac
10-31-06, 06:37 AM
Na it wasn' t those guys, but you are right I probably should have done it myself, however the shop is going to take a look at it for me. They think that they might have a handle on what the problem is, so I'll let you know how it goes.

dp102288
10-31-06, 08:40 AM
What's wrong with best buy? They did my install, workes great.

the727kid
10-31-06, 11:46 AM
It really depends on the Best Buy and who installs your stuff. But majority of Best Buy employees have no idea how to install, and start hacking shit up. I have heard stories of them hooking amps 12v+ to the fuse box, breaking parts, and I even heard about one of them installing a alarm and the next day the car burned to the ground. On top of the fact they really don't know any thing. I shouldn't be talking because I will probally be a installer there throughout college, I'll be MECP certified though.

dp102288
11-01-06, 07:12 AM
^^ Oh, damn. I liked the guys who did my install (was the East Brunswick store). I couldn't even tell they removed my center panels, and they did some extra work getting my receiver how I wanted it. They said installing the kit upside down was a small problem, and the parking brake lockout was odd for my car (I don't know why). Plus I am glad I get the warranty on the work and free swap back to my old head unit if I want.

I just wish I could learn to do this type of stuff myself. Doesn't seem too hard or messey. Is there a book I can buy? How could I learn...just rip up my car?

the727kid
11-01-06, 09:43 AM
Just rip your car lol. Would you like to see my car right now? I took out my HU, I'm waiting for my new one in the mail so I got wires hanging out the dash, I took out my Ipod interface so my bottom passenger dash is hanging with wires hanging lol. It's rather easy to learn. Too hook up my HU I believeI have like 5 wires, constant, power, ground, remote, attenna, Plus the RCAs lol not very hard to color match 5 wires and plug in RCAs.

dp102288
11-02-06, 08:29 AM
If you are willing to pic and post, sure. Its just I don't know where to start, not on my car, but any car. Should I rip out the dash first, or the center console?

the727kid
11-02-06, 12:12 PM
Lol I put my car back together but I am installing my new HU today (excited)

CadillacSTS42005
11-02-06, 12:44 PM
ahh
but it still sucks when compaired to my n1

the727kid
11-02-06, 12:55 PM
Lol the CD5000 blows the N1 out the water, besides the Navigation and Tach features.

CadillacSTS42005
11-02-06, 01:12 PM
dont be mad becuase my hu is better than yours....
just relax and take it like a man....

the727kid
11-02-06, 01:29 PM
Lol, you a fool, I'm pissed cuz maillady didn't bring it today. WTF I think she needs to lose her job. Still ain't seen that switch.

dp102288
11-03-06, 07:39 AM
I hate to be an ass about it, but why are you two always fighting? Accept it, you both have different likes, and don't have to be rude to each other.

I love my Pioneer 5700. You may like the N1 and someone else likes the CD5000. Good for us all.

Dadillac
11-03-06, 08:34 AM
I hate to be an ass about it, but why are you two always fighting? Accept it, you both have different likes, and don't have to be rude to each other.

I love my Pioneer 5700. You may like the N1 and someone else likes the CD5000. Good for us all.

I get the feeling that it is good natured ribbing.

Don

the727kid
11-03-06, 09:49 AM
Yea, we just **** with each other, we chat all the time outside of the forum and we always are trading car stuff.

CadillacSTS42005
11-03-06, 02:13 PM
yuh
we jag one another
we are boyz so its all in jest
but its the truth tho my hus better than his
hahaha

dp102288
11-03-06, 08:08 PM
As long as its good natured, then I retract my previous post.

CadillacSTS42005
11-03-06, 08:32 PM
yuh it is def good natured
and its kewl man i can see how you would miss it