: should we buy a '05/v6 SRX?

neve1064
10-21-06, 01:58 PM
My wife loves the car. I am weary due to threads read here. They want 28k for it. It is a dealership loaner car with all the bells and whistles and 25k miles on it. What do you all say?

sgilbert
10-21-06, 03:32 PM
Too high! Offer $23K and be prepared to go $25K. Also, insist on Cadillac Certified used car---100k warranty.

neve1064
10-21-06, 05:33 PM
Thank you. It is a certified preowned SRX. I will take your advice re: price. What I want to know is if I should ask for a record of the TSB and recal repairs made to the vehicle. And if in general you all feel this particular year and model is a good investment to buy. I feel after reading all the negatives regarding battery going flat, axles falling off, whinning noises, differential problems, that perhaps we should just lease a brand new one. What's your take?

sgilbert
10-21-06, 06:05 PM
As for me, having an '04 (1st year), I have not had any of those problems! Creaking UltraView--fixed w/ lube & new motor, and a check engine light--fixed w/ 2 new cat. converters. Other than that, a few minor recalls.

At those prices--YES, good investment, especially as it's Certified. I love my SRX!!

Recalls are in GM's database & TSB's don't affect all vehicles, and are advisories to service personnel as to how to correct the specified problem.

neve1064
10-21-06, 06:39 PM
O.K. so 28k is too much for a 7 seater loaded with all the toys, certified with 25k miles?

caddycruiser
10-21-06, 08:33 PM
O.K. so 28k is too much for a 7 seater loaded with all the toys, certified with 25k miles?

Definately, because '06s with less miles go for less. Just as an example, here's an '06 V6 with wood and the 3rd row and only 6k miles going for $27k at a Cadillac dealer on Ebay:

eBay Motors: Cadillac : SRX (item 300038474612 end time Oct-21-06 23:48:32 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LIKE-NEW-2006-SRX-ONE-OWNER-LOW-MILES-WARRANTY_W0QQitemZ300038474612QQihZ020QQcategoryZ9 8058QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

And another for a bit over $28k with 5k miles at the same place:

eBay Motors: Cadillac : SRX (item 300038813765 end time Oct-22-06 23:18:27 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LIKE-NEW-2006-SRX-ONE-OWNER-IN-INFARED-COLOR-MINT_W0QQitemZ300038813765QQihZ020QQcategoryZ98058 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

That price is fitting for most '06 V6's, but a bit too much for a now 2 year old V6, especially considering the high depreciation and that it lacks a few features of the '06 (power liftgate, new wheels, etc.). $23-25k does sound better, as was said.

Or like you mentioned, you could check into leasing a brand new '07 with the much improved new interior and see if that would work for you too, or not.

robhersch
10-21-06, 09:27 PM
Suggest that you ask to see before committing - and if buying - insist on a hard copy of the car's VIN, service & repair history for your file; personally, I would prefer to buy a "certified - known & well kept vehicle" with reasonable mileage and extended warranty from a good dealer for a few % or so above the going price instead of getting an "unknown" on ebay or ??? !!
Also, check prices on the Kelley Blue Book web site and negotiate a bit.
Lastly, I would be less than interested in buying any vehicle that is being dumped with only a few miles --why is it for sale and why on ebay ??, did the owner pass away, who is selling & why or ?? or ??
The interior should be your & wifes preference; we love our 05 Ebony interior and prefer our 05 N*V8 and controls (no nav) to the 07s that we inspected.
Good luck what ever your choice

medmarkco
10-21-06, 11:26 PM
Thank you. It is a certified preowned SRX. I will take your advice re: price. What I want to know is if I should ask for a record of the TSB and recal repairs made to the vehicle. And if in general you all feel this particular year and model is a good investment to buy. I feel after reading all the negatives regarding battery going flat, axles falling off, whinning noises, differential problems, that perhaps we should just lease a brand new one. What's your take?

Investment - no. Very few automobiles ever achieve investment status. Those that do don't get driven much and people spend small fortunes storing/restoring and maintaining them.

At those miles, you need to determine brake life, tires, and other maintenance items. If they've recently been replaced it will save you close to a couple of grand. If not, they'll be on the need-to-do-list fairly soon. Also need to define all the "bells and whistles" - AWD, NAV, XM, bose, power adj pedals, ultraview, UV+, HID, TPM, magride, 18's", heated seats, rear ent/dvd, trailering package, 3 row. If the vehicle had the "Luxury Performance" package, all were standard except AWD and ultraview plus. The package was a $13.7k package on top of a $38.4 base. AWD added another $1900. An AWD with LP package and certified "lists" in the mid 30's. If it isn't AWD and didn't have the LP package, it should be in the mid 20's depending on options.

Gotta figure your price against original list and figure the value is going to keep sliding pretty fast. That's the curse of snagging good deals .. good deal going in, bad deal coming out. They don't hold resale. If you like the vehicle (as I do mine) decide if the mid $20's is a fair price for the pleasure/utility you'll get out of it and enjoy it. It's a great handling vehicle for its size.

neve1064
10-22-06, 04:09 AM
Thank you all for your comments. The salesman via e-mail says this vehicle has about 25,000 miles. It is Sandstorm in color with a Luxury Performance package. This vehicle, new, was priced at $52,695. Because of its certified status, it has nearly 5 years of full factory warranty or up to about 75,000 miles more of warranty left, whichever comes first. The salesman then wrote this "My research on this vehicle leads me to believe that is has the following equipment.
LUXURY PERFORMANCE
*BURLED WALNUT WOOD TRIM
*ULTRAVIEW SUNROOF
*REAR AIR CONDITIONING
*TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR
*MULTI-DRIVER MEMORY SETTINGS
*8-WAY POWER PASSENGER SEAT
*THIRD ROW POWER SEAT
*HEATED FRONT SEATS
*POWER ADJUST PEDALS
*ELECTROCHROMIC DRIVER MIRROR
*HOMELINK GARAGE DOOR OPENER
*MAGNETIC RIDE CONTROL
*P235/60R18 FRT & P255/55R18 RR
*WHEEL 18X8, ALUMINUM, MACHINE FINISHED
*DVD NAVIGATION SYSTEM WITH IN-DASH 6-CD CHANGER
*XM SATELLITE RADIO
*8 SPEAKER BOSE AUDIO SYSTEM
*REAR SEAT ENTERTAINMENT
*HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE (HID) HEADLAMPS

The "leads me to believe" sentence angered me. But anyway, he mentioned they have some 2006 SRXs left and are lowering the price $4,500.00 dollars as an incentive. Regarding leasing, how much does it cost to borrow money for leases now-a-days? Someone told me a lease is close to purchasing in terms of monthly payment. I understand what ya'll mean regarding depreciation. My wife and I are willing to take the hit because we really love the car. And the amenities make up for the depreciation and if we purchase it we plan on having it for at least 5 years. I still haven't decided to go the PreOwned, 2006 lease or 2007 lease route. I guess tomorrow when we take a juant over to the dealership we will make a decision. If I go the preowned route I will surely get a VIN print out of service history. When I mentioned "good investment" I didn't mean it in the traditional sense. What I really mean is is the car going to be a headache to care for in the long haul. Anyway, keep the comments coming, it's really helping me come to a decision. Thank you all.

TSS
10-22-06, 09:29 AM
That price is insane. I could get an 06 with EVERY single option, AWD and V--8 with less than 10,000 miles, certified, for $31K. Plus it was never a "loaner car", as you described. I agree w/ earlier posts re: value in 23k RANGE certified for a V-6 REAR wheel drive. I don't see AWD on your salesman's "option list".

That said, you also need to compare the changes made in 2006 with a 2005 side by side. Not only door sills, power liftgate, etc, but if you are getting a light colored interior, in 2006 they did away with the black dash in favor of a more color matched dash - that was a significant decider for me, as I thought the black dash was alittle out of place in a light colored interior. If in 2006, all had still been black, I simply would have gotten a black interior (even though I did not want to) so it would match the dash.

As to lease price (monthly) versus purchase price, you will pay significantly more to purchase PER month. I ran it every way before deciding to lease mine. The resale value is what convinced me to purchase. Unless I was totally committed to keeping it for five-six years with no exceptions, buying would be a losing proposition for me.

donjumpsuit
10-22-06, 01:43 PM
I think these responses are very helpful for you. I would take a print out to the dealer and ask him all of these questions. I feel like if you traded in this car for another one, you would only get 14.5k for it. I have seen my fully loaded 2005 (everything) 62k automobile on EBAY for 23k recently.

I have also come to realize this one fact. On resale options mean NOTHING. Quite possibly the only thing that means anything involving resale price is engine (V6/V8) and AWD because originally these options were ~10k each. Don't ask me why a nav system that was orignially 5k now costs nothing. For the most part, the engine and AWD don't cost more or less because the V6 RWD may be in demand because of MPG savings.

This means that no matter how many bells and whistles the car has, it means nothing as far as reasale value is concerned. It is still a Cadillac so, it will have all those options anyway. I mean why wouldn't they use a completely stripped down version of the SRX as a loaner? Mostly likely that was the cheapest one they had on the lot at the time. So as of this time a V8AWD 2004 SRX is 18k, V8AWD 2005 23k, V8AWD 2006 31k (due to recent improvements).

Whether it is correct or not, I was told in order to buy with the same monthly payment schedule, you would have to put 1/3rd down the purchase price. So leasing lets you essentially "buy" without a large down payment (depends on your credit).

I would HIGHLY recommend buying private for your used SRX. You can still get your TSB information, you can still get a warranty up to 100k ( you can buy this at anytime from GM). What I have found out is, that if you pull any SRX into the dealer they will treat it like its thier own, or vice versa, if you buy it from them, they have no loyalty to it whatsoever. Meaning you don't get treated any better or worse, having bought from somewhere else.

Buying a car that has had one owner, rather than dozens of people over its life time, is inherently better, I would never buy a rental.

I hope that helps, just don't want to see you pay more than you have to, but like I always say. If you are happy, why worry about price? Your wifes happy, your happy, you can get 28k of value out of that car no problem.

good luck

caddycruiser
10-22-06, 02:03 PM
In all honesty, $25k still doesn't sound bad for a vehicle that has that MUCH stuff, even if it is 2 years old with 25k. The warranty and who the dealer is means a LOT, especially if it's a nearby dealer who treats you very well.

You could haggle more, or try and find a newer one with less miles for the same price, but if you really like that one, no reason not to go for it. These boards are great, but they often do more scaring than tempting.

robhersch
10-22-06, 02:18 PM
All above are good comments re buying a used (pre-owned?) vehicle.
Additional adv prices for SRXs FYI: per latest AutoExtra Orange Co, CA:
2006 SRXs: 6cyl-$29,795/Chev Dlr; ??-$24,950/Buick Dlr; ??-$27,992/Volvo Dlr; ??-$Call/Auto Sales
2005 SRXs: 6 cyl "loaded"-$32,995/Cad Dlr; ??-$33,999/Nissan Dlr; ??-$call/?lot; ?? "loaded"-$33,987/Chev Dlr
Noted that NONE are from private owners. Do dealers still have to perform services/ repairs that individuals do not??; all probably are subject to price & warranty negotiation. Still would want history of vehicle. Good luck and welcome to the SRX community !!

neve1064
10-22-06, 06:56 PM
Thank you for your comments, again. Well, we bought it. Due to several reasons including; It was NOT a loaner as I thought it was, lease prices on 2007s were astronomical and 2006s could not be leased any longer, we decided to negotiate a lower price for the 2005. It had 22k miles, all the toys I mentioned above and the black dash which turned out to be a non-issue for the wife. I listened during the test ride at all speeds for a whinning differential and heard none. I opened the sun roof to look for problems there and noticed the movement is not as smooth as possible but it was o.k. We went from $28,995 to $23,900 and the owner of the dealership abrogated the dealer fee of $598 for us personally. Maybe $23,900 was even too high but at least I got it in the ball park you all mentioned. Let me interupt myself here and say here that I am sooooo glad you all chimed in. I felt very confident in asking for that price because of what you all said. Thank you for helping out. I appreciate it very much. The color is Cashmere.

I noticed I liked the interior of the 2007 better albeit I think the LCD is great in the 2005/2006s. The power lift gate is a great option, absolutely. I wish it was available in the 2005s. But oh well. Things turned out great and we got a good car under warranty until January 2011 that is certified. The wife is pretty happy right now. I guess now I have to look up the TSBs and make sure this car is up to date. Thanks again!

sgilbert
10-22-06, 07:42 PM
Good job negotiating! You got a great vehicle at a tremendous price. Relax now and enjoy it as I have.

Having been thru the dealer, I assure you that all recalls have been done. Don't fret the TSB's---most, I'm sure, don't apply to you anyway.

medmarkco
10-22-06, 08:32 PM
Good job negotiating! You got a great vehicle at a tremendous price. Relax now and enjoy it as I have.

Having been thru the dealer, I assure you that all recalls have been done. Don't fret the TSB's---most, I'm sure, don't apply to you anyway.

Yes, congratulations! To meet certification requirements, all TSB's should have been addressed. Not an absolute guarantee, but most likely taken care of. There are specific guidelines for vehicle condition for certification. The advantage to a certified vehicle is that it continues the warranty - not a service protection plan with deductibles, etc. All in all, you got a lot of transportation for the money. Enjoy!

caddycruiser
10-22-06, 08:50 PM
Awesome, and that trully does sound like a terrific deal on a great LOADED Cadillac:thumbsup:

robhersch
10-23-06, 12:00 AM
Sounds like you "done good"; sounds like great auto at even greater price!!
$5K+ is remarkable, "somebody up there really likes you".
Warranty through 2011 also!! Good luck!!
Suggest going to: "http://tis2web.service.GM.com/tis2web", enter the VIN, and you can check the vehicle TSB needs.
Happy motoring in your SRX!!

donjumpsuit
10-23-06, 12:40 AM
Neve,
Awesome, I feel somewhat vindicated. :)

mjk
10-23-06, 08:09 AM
I would HIGHLY recommend buying private for your used SRX. You can still get your TSB information, you can still get a warranty up to 100k ( you can buy this at anytime from GM). What I have found out is, that if you pull any SRX into the dealer they will treat it like its thier own, or vice versa, if you buy it from them, they have no loyalty to it whatsoever. Meaning you don't get treated any better or worse, having bought from somewhere else.

Can you elaborate more regarding the warranty? I am almost at 30k and have standard warranty. I think that getting an extended 100k warranty is a good investment. Do you go to the dealer, or look online???? anything to be careful about???

One more thing regarding your comments. I agree with everything but one statement. I think you get the same service regardless where you bought the car, except for the loaner. Every time I get some work done I get stuck with some old folks Buick :eek: and I know that they have a lot of Cadillac loaners, so who gets those????? A dealer will always want his client to be familiar with what's new that they can offer, especially if you bought from him before.
btw I have nothing against Buicks, just not there yet... age-wise:thepan:

medmarkco
10-23-06, 09:33 AM
Can you elaborate more regarding the warranty? I am almost at 30k and have standard warranty. I think that getting an extended 100k warranty is a good investment. Do you go to the dealer, or look online???? anything to be careful about???

The "certified" warranty extension in this thread is available on pre-owned vehicles which meet specific requirements, and are sold through authorized dealers. It isn't something that can be "added" after purchace (or even at the time of purchase). Dealer must submit vehicle to GM for approval and pay fee in advance.

GMPP (GM Protection Program) is available for purchase anytime within the warranty period. You can buy 12-48 months of coverage (maybe more) at desired annual mileage increments. The term and mileage determines the price. There used to be $0 deductible programs, but I just signed up for a GMPP Major Guard (most like warranty - all systems) on my wife's '02 SLS and only $50 or $100 deductible/per repair options were available. Her car only has 11,000 miles which may have been an issue, but I don't think so. (GMPP Direct Mail (http://www.gmppdirect.com) for info)

As far as value - it depends. If you have a few significant problems (of the $500 variety), the 2-3 year 10-15k/yr plans about break even. Beyond 2-3 years the prices rise sharply. No problems ... you get peace of mind and roadside assistance, etc. More problems and you'll be glad you have it. GMPP plans can also transfer if you sell - helps resale.

Third parties sell similar plans. Never had one, but have heard horror stories about fine print that excludes some repairs and companies going out of business, leaving customers with nothing. I've never had a problem with a GMPP repair.

btw I have nothing against Buicks, just not there yet... age-wise:thepan:

I heard the old=Buick thing many times, but I never understood it ... a Buick is a Chevrolet, is a Pontiac, is (was) an Oldsmobile. Until recent platform changes, Cadillacs fit too. The exterior sheet metal of each has a few creases in different places and a few different options, but underneath the cars are basically the same. Some of the Pontiac's and Oldsmobiles have been available with "racing stripes" ... is that what makes them younger?:confused:

c5 rv
10-23-06, 09:45 AM
Kudo's on your new (to you) SRX! I had a cashmere CTS. Though many view it as an old-man color, it stays clean looking for a long time between washes. One suggestion is to wash and wax the wide door sills and then clean them weekly. The backs of your pants will thank you. Enjoy your new wagon.

mjk
10-23-06, 11:07 AM
I heard the old=Buick thing many times, but I never understood it ... a Buick is a Chevrolet, is a Pontiac, is (was) an Oldsmobile. Until recent platform changes, Cadillacs fit too. The exterior sheet metal of each has a few creases in different places and a few different options, but underneath the cars are basically the same. Some of the Pontiac's and Oldsmobiles have been available with "racing stripes" ... is that what makes them younger?:confused:

Oh C'mon. They sure are made by GM, but there's a reason that people bought Lexus, Infiniti and Acura and not Toyota, Nissan and Honda. For the same reason I'm driving an SRX and not.....uh let's see....an Equinox for example. (which I do like btw :bouncy: )

Thanks I appreciate the info.:)

medmarkco
10-23-06, 12:38 PM
Oh C'mon. They sure are made by GM, but there's a reason that people bought Lexus, Infiniti and Acura and not Toyota, Nissan and Honda. For the same reason I'm driving an SRX and not.....uh let's see....an Equinox for example. (which I do like btw :bouncy: )

No, I'm serious.:)

Agreed, manufacturers can and do position "status" and/or differentiate quality and technology by brand. (Or at least spend hundreds of MILLIONS on advertising trying to.)

And, there have always been bitter wars between GM divisions to differentiate themselves, but at the end of the day a Chevy Monte Carlo, Pontiac Grand Prix, Olds Cutlass, and Buick Regal really were the same car. In fact, in the late 80's the "hottest" car of the bunch was the Buick Grand National (Regal).

Basically it comes down to the options and "quality" of materials. Nothing was clearer than that when the Cadillac Cimmeron, Chevy Cavalier, Buick Skyhawk, Pontiac J2000, and Old Firenza all shared the J-body platform. The entire platform was "wimpy" - the brand had nothing to do with it.

On the other hand, marketing the Corvette as an ideal vehicle for the 60+ set isn't going to move millions of units. I don't look at Chevy as a performance brand just because it has the Corvette in it's lineup. Ironically Corvette has always had a much higher average age of ownership than you would expect due to the price of the vehicle.

There were years I liked the styling and options of the Buick Riviera over the Cadillac Eldorado or Olds Tornado. And other years when one or the other appealed to me most. Underneath they were the same basic automobile. If I didn't like the seating option in one, I could swap out the bench for buckets and a center console from the other. Most all parts were interchangeable. The Europeans and Asians have done their fair share of the same.

P.S. the upcoming Buick "cross" vehicle is really going to give the SRX a run for it's money.

mjk
10-23-06, 05:36 PM
not much for me to disagree with you on. It does boils down to styling and options. I had no clue what Cadillac was before I bought the SRX. First time I saw the new Cadillac styling I wanted one. I actually wanted a cts but with a new baby, and after a test drive, an SRX was the way to go.

P.S. the upcoming Buick "cross" vehicle is really going to give the SRX a run for it's money.

I didn't see the new Buick yet, so I cannot comment...:)

medmarkco
10-23-06, 11:02 PM
I didn't see the new Buick yet, so I cannot comment...:)

Sorry for the thread-jack... Thinking back I was wrong, I don't think the Riviera was ever shared the FWD platform - just Eldo and Toronado ... but you got my point.

The new Enclave has a "bulbous" front end and lacks the stealth lines of the SRX, but it has a low wide stance and well executed technology. Should be a strong player in the market. Not same platform as SRX.

Buick unveils 2007 Enclave SUV | Leftlane News - Car News For Enthusiasts (http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/01/08/detroit-2006-buick-unveils-enclave-suv/)

Stay out of the shop and away from those Buicks! :D

mjk
10-24-06, 07:21 AM
Stay out of the shop and away from those Buicks! :D

well.....it's going to the dealer for the creaking roof soon.

take care

neve1064
10-27-06, 10:03 PM
I have the original dealership receipt for the car. Apparently the car was purchased from GM for aroun 42k. I wonder what the selling price was in 2005?

neve1064
12-04-06, 10:17 AM
OK it's been a while and no complaints. I'm glad to say there is no water in the rear jack compartment. My only issue is the head rests that came with the car don't stow in the jack compartment because the stems are too long. I assume this means they are not the correct ones for the rear power-folding seats. I could ask the dealer about it but the salesmen get so bothered with these types of details. So I can live with just laying them on the floor. I would like to replace the plastic coated piece that is just below the DVD navigation screen/radio. The paint or coating I should say is coming off on its' edge due to hand palms and fingernails rubbing against as the parameters are adjusted. With that replaced the car looks new as the day it was delivered to the dealer. Is this easy to get replaced?

ckrichards
12-04-06, 02:34 PM
OK it's been a while and no complaints. I'm glad to say there is no water in the rear jack compartment. My only issue is the head rests that came with the car don't stow in the jack compartment because the stems are too long. I assume this means they are not the correct ones for the rear power-folding seats. I could ask the dealer about it but the salesmen get so bothered with these types of details. So I can live with just laying them on the floor. I would like to replace the plastic coated piece that is just below the DVD navigation screen/radio. The paint or coating I should say is coming off on its' edge due to hand palms and fingernails rubbing against as the parameters are adjusted. With that replaced the car looks new as the day it was delivered to the dealer. Is this easy to get replaced?

There are slots for the stems to slide into. The slots are toward the rear of the vehicle. They go in kind of like a battery. Slide them in and down at the same time.

I can take pictures if this doesn't help.

TSS
12-04-06, 05:57 PM
Agree- they are tricky.

neve1064
12-05-06, 12:18 AM
That would help. From my view the stems appear to be just too long. Would you send a pic? I am usually pretty good at figuring stuff out like this but I'm stumped. How many inches long are the stems on your rear head rests?

ckrichards
12-06-06, 01:35 PM
Here are the pictures of the 3rd row headrests.

http://frontiernet.net/~ckrich/srx.html (http://frontiernet.net/%7Eckrich/srx.html)

neve1064
12-09-06, 02:37 PM
Now that's an intuitive setup. :bonkers: Thank you for sending the pictures. I never would have figured that out. So there are several ways to put them in there?