: Do I need more power or what?

nctrader
10-21-06, 12:49 AM
My new speakers do not sound as good as expected. I have an old PPI Sedona 25X2 amp pushing 2 new Infinity 9613Ii 6X9" speakers. I have tweeked and tweeked the gain on both line/RCA converter and the amp gain. The speakers really sound bad if I turn the bass up past half way on the HU. This is an OEM HU. The mids and highs sound pretty good. Do I just not have enough power to push these speakers? Please help this disapointed dude.

CadillacSTS42005
10-21-06, 12:54 AM
do you have the rca line running off of the bose amps?
trust me it may sound odd but
remove your factory bose rear speaks but keep the bose amps connect your line converter off of the amps then you will have alot more power

DJSG3
10-21-06, 05:00 AM
I had this same problem after replacing the entire sound system. Originally it had the basic radio/cassette player. Wasn't loud but had lots of bass. I replaced that with a Pioneer, replaced all the speakers with Infinity Kappas. Hooked the rears up to a 300w amp & ran the fronts off the 100w amp in the Pioneer deck. Turn it up past about halfway and the back woofers start popping like they cant breath. Tried different amps,diiferent radios & speakers. still kept getting that pop. I finally gave up trying to figure it out and added a BassLink 200w sub in the corner of the trunk & turned down the bass signal to the rear speakers. About the only difference I can see is the way the back speakers are mounted as compared to original equipment. That back grill doesn't help matters either,too damn thick.

DJsG3
1997 seville sls by the by.
(my capital s isnt working)

the727kid
10-21-06, 04:06 PM
25watts isn't enough to push any after market speaker.

CadillacSTS42005
10-21-06, 04:18 PM
yuh thats also true seriously most headunits push that
heck the bose system does 100 watts per speak

nctrader
10-21-06, 08:08 PM
OK, not to sound degrading but I am not sure everybody is familial with Precision Power Inc. amps. I am using an old school amp that pushes 25 RMS watts of good clean power. Most modern day power ratings are laughable. The mfg. usually states peak/max power. Old quality amps, most of which were made in the USA, rate their amps VERY consertive, and at minimal RMS values. Soundstream is another of my favorite amp mfgs. I guarantee you can put a 25 watt old school amp made by the best mfgs, and it will knock the socks of just about anything new that is rated much higher. Think about this, most HU's today brag about high power like 25X4. Tell me why then are after market amps, rated the same bigger in physical size than the entire HU claiming more power? Because the HU poere is crap power. It take a lot of components to make good power. All that said, yes, 25 watts, even good clean power is not earth shattering. But is still should sound better.

I have been playing around car audio since I installed my first "under dash" Pioneer Super tuner I, with an Audiovox "Power Booster, to my Jensen Triaxels, cranking out Boston's "Long Time". Ahh.. you young guys don't know what you missed. Sorry about the preaching, but I just think the old quaility amps are beter than any thing out there today. HU's and speakers are a differnt thing all together.
Thanks for the help, and the chance to rant.

CadillacSTS42005
10-21-06, 08:24 PM
i know ppi
ppi and us amps were about the best you could buy...
and most hus today brag 52x4 peak and 25x4 rms...
again did you listen to what i asked????
or not?

nctrader
10-21-06, 08:59 PM
Thanks. Sorry But I did give full disclosure. THis is a factory HU on a base unit. No Bose equipment at all. The rear speakers were replaced with Infinity 9613i, and Polk components up front. Don't have the front complete yet. Currently my beautiful car is a a mess: no rear seat, and trim pieces missing all over the place. Actuall since my first post, I was able to tweek some more and got better sound. I got better success by setting the line voltage from the line/RCA converter pretty high. Sounds OK, but will be better when I get the Polks running up front. Just got a Soundstream Reference 300 today on Ebay to use up front. Wish I could affors a 700s, and just have one amp.

CadillacSTS42005
10-21-06, 09:02 PM
ahh damn thats right you were trying to do the installl
do not power off a factory hu....
the rca line adapter usually like a little more power to them before amping...
SOUNDSTREAM SUCKS!!!!
for a little over 100 bucks buy a kicker 350.4 it does 75 watts rms to each channel and a GREAT amp!!!

nctrader
10-21-06, 09:24 PM
Dude, now you have hurt my feelings. I love Soundstream amps. They take a beating and keep coming back for more. I have owned a few and loved them all. Never owned a Kicker, maybe I'll try one. Just curious, why do you think they suck?

CadillacSTS42005
10-21-06, 09:49 PM
dude
they are like fosgate
they sold out went cheapo and now are CRAP
ive had many kicker products and for the money the value of the suckers cant be beat

nctrader
10-22-06, 10:25 PM
Well, I have to admit I did need more power. I had an old PPI Sedona 125 W/channel amp that I "loaned" to my son. I decided that he had it long enough. Put it on the Infinity 9613s, and what a difference. They really sound good. THe down side is that my son's system now does not sound as good. He was using the amp in mono mode to drive a Boston 12 sub. Guess we will have to do something about that. Right now I have the small PPI on his sub....OK but it definately need more push. Guess it never ends.

Also, when I say I really like Soundstream I only mean the old stuff. I too think the new stuff is crap. Like you said they all sold out to Direct Audio. I still might try a kicker. THe price is right and they have a nice 5 channel amp that looks interesting.

the727kid
10-22-06, 11:32 PM
Soundstream new stuff is crap? Whoa whoa whoa WHAT?? They have some of the best, if not the best SQ amps and their subs beat hard as hell!!!

CadillacSTS42005
10-24-06, 05:34 PM
crap
crap
and more crap

if they are so great kid how come YOU havent bought their stuff.. egh?

the727kid
10-25-06, 12:58 AM
Same reason I don't buy US/Zapco. I don't want it. Plus their top subs need a few thousand to see full potential and I really don't wanna spend the money on it. But Soundstream is extremely good. There is a reason they have been around 28 years.

CadillacSTS42005
10-25-06, 10:21 AM
fosgates been around long too
doesnt mean their new stuff is as good as old....

the727kid
10-25-06, 11:39 AM
You need do some research if you think Soundstreams stuff now is garbage.

CadillacSTS42005
10-25-06, 01:36 PM
dude
look who ur talkin to
i know alot about anything i speak
whos got you hooked up on the net when it comes to findin parts lol
side note post office said u shoulda recieved your switch never herd from u tho man u get it?

the727kid
10-25-06, 07:23 PM
Man it didn't come today, I NEED it by friday. I can't stunt with my windows up lol. I got the POS amp working right even tho it puts a strong draw on my system (fuker won't accept 4 gauge, WTF?)

MashBill
10-25-06, 10:01 PM
I wouldn't trade 1 Soundstream for 10 Kickers....

CadillacSTS42005
10-26-06, 01:28 AM
rofl
thanks for the idiot comment
might i add i can see that you left me that and i believe i am entitled to my opinion and IN MY OPINION SOUNDSTREAM BLOWS!!!
dont like it
deal with it
thats all i have to say PEACE

MashBill
10-26-06, 09:55 AM
rofl
thanks for the idiot comment
might i add i can see that you left me that and i believe i am entitled to my opinion and IN MY OPINION SOUNDSTREAM BLOWS!!!
dont like it
deal with it
thats all i have to say PEACE

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, as am I.

Posts like this really shows your level of immaturity and lack of professionalism. I don't know how you obtained the label of "Audio Advisor", but in my opinion you discredit the audio industry and it's true professionals. I worked in the audio industry for over a decade, starting in retail sales and ending as a national sales manager for an audio manufacturer, so I know the industry has good knowledgable people that are able to promote products and provide quality advice and services to the end user without having to discredit brandnames or act the fool on a public forum.

A real "Audio Advisior" would try to educate others as to why a certain brand is better than another without resorting to name calling.

the727kid
10-26-06, 10:58 AM
Hahaha^^Owned.

But on a serious note, we can go buy on the same budget go after the same goal for amps, I am willing to bet the Soudstream benches more, as well it produce a better SQL. The Damping Factor and THQ on them is nearly un-matched.

CadillacSTS42005
10-26-06, 05:36 PM
Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, as am I.

Posts like this really shows your level of immaturity and lack of professionalism. I don't know how you obtained the label of "Audio Advisor", but in my opinion you discredit the audio industry and it's true professionals. I worked in the audio industry for over a decade, starting in retail sales and ending as a national sales manager for an audio manufacturer, so I know the industry has good knowledgable people that are able to promote products and provide quality advice and services to the end user without having to discredit brandnames or act the fool on a public forum.

A real "Audio Advisior" would try to educate others as to why a certain brand is better than another without resorting to name calling.

resort to name calling
i need to grow up
really now
who left feedback calling me an idiot for my opinion
dont start YOU need to grow up

the727kid
10-26-06, 05:40 PM
ETC did you get my text? I NEEEEED that switch tommorow. I;m call the post office and see but I need the tracking number.

MrEr1c
10-26-06, 10:52 PM
dude
they are like fosgate
they sold out went cheapo and now are CRAP
ive had many kicker products and for the money the value of the suckers cant be beat

wow, seriously, you need to stop bashing products you don't know about.

Go to a real audio forum and ask them what they think about rockford fosgate power series. I can almost guarantee that no one will say they are "crap."

CadillacSTS42005
10-27-06, 10:16 AM
fosgate is NOTHING compaired to what they used to be and i am a MOD on an audio forum feel free to go there and ask everyone says there are MUCH better brands
and fyi TEAM fosgate blows the power series away...

the727kid
10-27-06, 12:52 PM
ETC you been ignoring me WTF?

FYI, the #1 Car Audio site on the net you won't go on, I been on the one ur on, its not that big.

And Soundstream>Fosgate

CadillacSTS42005
10-27-06, 02:49 PM
i aint ignorin you and i didnt get your txts
whats up?

fast66
11-03-06, 11:13 AM
ahh damn thats right you were trying to do the installl
do not power off a factory hu....
the rca line adapter usually like a little more power to them before amping...
SOUNDSTREAM SUCKS!!!!
for a little over 100 bucks buy a kicker 350.4 it does 75 watts rms to each channel and a GREAT amp!!!

soundstream make some good subwoofers , havent been into audio long enough to experience their amps.