: Cadillac building BMW 1-Series rival

Blackout
10-19-06, 04:07 PM
Thursday 19 October 2006

http://www.motorauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/Holden/Torana/Concept/Torana_Concept_004_small.jpg

MOTOR AUTHORITY - - Cadillac could have a new premium small car to rival the BMW 1-series by the end of the decade. AutoWeek has uncovered details about a new rear-wheel drive entry-level Caddy that would be positioned below the Europe-only mid-sized BLX sedan. GM?s Bob Lutz has previously mentioned that a smaller Cadillac is being considered among several other models, and would be worthwhile in improving Cadillac?s reputation in Europe.

Premium hatches have sold well in Europe for years, and the market is just too lucrative for GM to ignore any longer. If built, the new baby Caddy would compete against the likes of the BMW 1-series, Mercedes-Benz A class and Audi A3, and has a lot of catching up to do. Lutz was very tight-lipped about the car during an interview at the Paris Motor Show, with the only comment being that the 1-series will be the benchmark to which the Cadillac small car will compete.

The car will be introduced initially with a four-cylinder engine mounted longitudinally with a rear-drive layout. However, such a design will require the development of an all-new platform, which could also be used for a rear-drive successor to BLX. GM might get its Australian arm, Holden to develop the new architecture that could come in both rear and all-wheel drives. Holden previously released the Torana TT36 concept (pictured above) back in 2004, which was a rear-drive car built off unique platform, and this could form the basis for the new Cadillac.

NOTE - - if you see RED 'X' then click here to receive a cookie for future viewing from this site. Motor Authority (http://www.motorauthority.com/)

OffThaHorseCEO
10-19-06, 08:01 PM
i guess you gotta do what you gotta do to make money and survive in the autoworld, but i never saw cadillac as a small car company, the name alone make me think excess and largeness

Slywun
10-19-06, 08:47 PM
Eeeew.

DILLIGAF
10-19-06, 10:34 PM
Luxury and performance or both,nothing else geeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzz.Can't wait till cadillac puts a 15,000 dollar economy car on the road.

Night Wolf
10-19-06, 11:28 PM
Luxury and performance or both,nothing else geeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzz.Can't wait till cadillac puts a 15,000 dollar economy car on the road.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac/cimarron/85cimm.jpg

DopeStar 156
10-20-06, 12:38 AM

Why do people always forget about the Cimarron?

Blackout
10-20-06, 06:06 AM
Why do people always forget about the Cimarron?I think Cadillac even wants to forget about the Cimarron

dp102288
10-20-06, 09:42 AM
Poor Cimarron. No one ever liked it!

I should get one and nice it up. You all would be jealous! :D

Blackout
10-20-06, 10:32 AM
Poor Cimarron. No one ever liked it!

I should get one and nice it up. You all would be jealous! :DI remember when I helped a friend out and was cleaning out his neighbor's garage and she had a Cimmaron in the garage. She was an old lady and didn't drive anywhere anymore and she asked me if I wanted the car for free and I even turned that down!

Night Wolf
10-20-06, 11:04 AM
To be fair, by 1988, the Cimarion was decent, it looked alright for what it was, fog lights, sport suspension, could be had with the 2.8 V6 and IIRC a 5spd, full gauges, leather interior etc... But it was too little too late.

Instead of using the econo J-body, if they made a Cadillac on the same chassis as the Toronado and Reatta, 2-door with the 3800, and possibly even the s/c 3800.... that would have kicked major butt... tho I guess that would be too similar to the Allante.

xxpinballxx
10-20-06, 05:01 PM
my grandma had a cimmaron thought she would like the little car better than her bigger caddies.

dp102288
10-21-06, 09:12 AM
I remember when I helped a friend out and was cleaning out his neighbor's garage and she had a Cimmaron in the garage. She was an old lady and didn't drive anywhere anymore and she asked me if I wanted the car for free and I even turned that down!

ALWAYS accept a free (or near free) car. YOU can always part it out to make a fast buck.