: Stop Lamps out

uRabbit
10-18-06, 01:09 PM
2000 Catera.

My stop lamps have recently gone out. About three weeks ago. I have tail lights (running lights), but no stop lamps. I checked all the fuses. They're all fine. I went out and bought replacement bulbs. Still don't work.

Now. What do I do? My dad seems to think it may be the stop switch. Where is that located? And could this be the problem? What else could it be?

Thanks guys!

AwfulSmokey
10-18-06, 01:49 PM
sounds like the brake light switch. Usually it's attatched to the brake pedal under the dash.

uRabbit
10-19-06, 09:57 PM
sounds like the brake light switch. Usually it's attatched to the brake pedal under the dash.

Is it easily done without the help of a mechanic, or should I take it to the Cadillac dealer and get charged an arm and a leg for it?

AwfulSmokey
10-19-06, 10:31 PM
Is it easily done without the help of a mechanic, or should I take it to the Cadillac dealer and get charged an arm and a leg for it?

all you need is the ability to bend(under the dash that is) :yup:
Just follow the brake pedal up til you see it. It's a switch, when the pedal is pressed it releases the button and sends the signal for the brake lights to come on.

uRabbit
10-20-06, 01:10 AM
all you need is the ability to bend(under the dash that is) :yup:
Just follow the brake pedal up til you see it. It's a switch, when the pedal is pressed it releases the button and sends the signal for the brake lights to come on.

So I need a new one?
Where can I get one of those?

Thanks again!

uRabbit
10-20-06, 02:11 PM
So I found the switch (I think). There's a couple problems though:

I got the three "screws" out of the panel in order to take it off, but now I think there's two white "clips" holding the back of the panel on. So I really don't have much room to work with.

How do I fix the switch or where do I get a new one?

overplayed
10-22-06, 07:25 AM
I got my switch from the dealership for like $40. There was two switches conected to my 2001 brake pedel and they look like the same switch with different electrical connections. The one one the bottom is the cruise control switch and the one you can hardly see just above the cruise control switch is the brake light switch. Don't do like I did and try to figure out how to unclip the old switch:cookoo: untill I got mad and ripped it out by hand.:bomb: Just take a pair of pliers and brake the old one out.

Jeff

uRabbit
10-22-06, 07:18 PM
Umm. Thanks for the reply. But this sounds quite difficult.
If I'm afraid of breaking something, I won't do it...
Is there any way to get a detailed description of how to do this?

Anyone?

Zakiya06
10-24-06, 10:17 AM
Hello,

It's really not that hard. I am a female only 24, and no nothing about cars and I did it in about 15 minutes. There is a metal lever holding the switches in place pull this back behind pedal. Like the previous guy said, dont waist your time trying to figure out how to get it out. There is nothing you can break. You may want to remove the crusie control switch first so that you can get to the brake light switch better. in my 97 catera the cruise control was white and brake light was black. There is a metal bracket with two holes in it. these hole are what hold the switches in place. So the only thing that you could possibly break is this bracket which is super thick and I dont think you could do it if you wanted to. But I was told by a tech that if you take the pliers and squeeze near braket it should release switch, but if not just break it. Okay, as said before in the braket is two holes that hold switch in place. If you run your finger inside each hole you will see that in one corner the is a little groove. Go slow or u might miss it. In my car the groove was in the bottom right corner. If you look on the switch (on the end where the white pluger thing is) you will see that in one of the corners there is a extra piece that will fit into that tiny groove. That how it will slide in the braket. (there should be a safety clip on the plunger --- remove it, mine was green). Push the red part that surrounds whit plunger down. Slide switch in at angle (the side with groove first. Then once in push up and it will snap into place. connect plug. pull lever back down. take either flat head or knife. and push plunger toward the brake pedal until it touches the pedal. u will here a clicking noise which is okaay. the plunger must make contact with plunger. thats all :bigroll: Good luck