: 97 catera ---I need help upgrading

Zakiya06
10-18-06, 11:46 AM
I have a 97 catera. Right now I have a factory bose radio. i would like to put a cd player in or cd changer. What would be the easiest way to do this?

CadillacSTS42005
10-18-06, 12:30 PM
rewire to speaks to bypass amp
run your own constant so you wont lose memory
get a axcess gmos-03 to retain chimes and avoid many many many computer problems
and metra fit kit for the dash

if you want i have the fit kit ill give you for like 10 bucks shipped i paid 20 for it

the727kid
10-18-06, 02:53 PM
Or buy a cd changer and plug it in.

mrman88
11-11-06, 12:22 PM
I did the whole rewire thing...it cost me $250 for rewire and headunit install and I am completely dissatisfied. The bose system is excellent and the best thing to do would be to just add a cd changer or use a head unit from a '98+ the has the cd player built in to the Bose head unit, but the last thing you want to do is get rid of the bose.

CadillacSTS42005
11-11-06, 12:37 PM
then you obviously didnt get good speakers or a good hu
my aftermarket system will blow bose away
heck even my old budget system did better than bose

the727kid
11-11-06, 01:56 PM
Lol....my front 2 speaks with blown tweets (no rear speakers) will blow away my old Bose system.

mrman88
11-13-06, 04:31 PM
Its all a matter of opinion.....btw the after market equipment I purchased and had installed is top rate. Alpine head unit, infinity amp's, etc.

CadillacSTS42005
11-13-06, 05:34 PM
then it was shyty botched install...
and there are cheap alpine and infinitys...

the727kid
11-13-06, 05:36 PM
If you bought top equipment and top amps, soemthing is fuked up. My odds are your amp/hu settings fuked up or something. Maybe original wiring.

mrman88
11-15-06, 11:27 PM
I'm not saying its complete crap because it blows away every one of my friends stereo installs, but I'm saying the integration and overall quality of the system is not as good as the Bose system. I loved the fullness and richness of the sound of the Bose system compared to now. And CadillacETC1997 I'm not sure why you feel the need to constantly brag about your system and always think your right because all I did was give my opinion on my own system so I don't think you have any right to say my opinion is invalid, besides its my opinion.

CadillacSTS42005
11-15-06, 11:49 PM
remind me where did i brag?
you listed an opinion
me and the kid listed truth
theres no way a bose system is better than a good aftermarket set up
my dads 98 STS had the only bose set up that was good and i would never touch, with the bose 4.1 425 watt system with 7 speaks and a sub blows away the Catera bose system
my sister had a Catera with bose and we dumped it the car was very poorly made and gave her many issues so i do know what the catera set up sounds like
heck even the crappy factory bose system in my 97 ETC was better than the Catera system

your opinion was taken into consideration
and its mine as well as the kid (the two biggest audio connoisseurs on the forum) that either you bought either cheap infinity and alpine products
or when they installed the aftermarket system they didnt do it right when it came to bypassing and ditching the bose so it sounded like crap

as the saying goes
no highs
no lows
must be bose...

bose makes good amps and GREAT enclosures
but SHITTY drivers ask anyone who actually turns the system up, i get a post every week about a blown deville or seville dash speak, an eldo or deville blown 6x9 rarely ever do the single bose amps go (when they used multi mini amps those were common to go bad though)

mrman88
11-16-06, 03:58 PM

This is you assuming, not truth because unless your an audio engineer then nothing you say is truth when it comes to sounds it's simply your opinion, which is possible for you to give without trying to invalidate other or make pre-judgements about a system that i highly doubt you have any experience with at all since you have never been in my car. The system in the Catera has all the highs and clarity that i could ever ask for and even my dad's $8,000 system that he put in his Mercedes E420 could only match it. The only thing i think it needs is the lows, which his MB had, but my Catera was lacking.

mrman88
11-16-06, 04:01 PM
remind me where did i brag?
you listed an opinion
me and the kid listed truth
theres no way a bose system is better than a good aftermarket set up
my dads 98 STS had the only bose set up that was good and i would never touch, with the bose 4.1 425 watt system with 7 speaks and a sub blows away the Catera bose system
my sister had a Catera with bose and we dumped it the car was very poorly made and gave her many issues so i do know what the catera set up sounds like
heck even the crappy factory bose system in my 97 ETC was better than the Catera system

your opinion was taken into consideration
and its mine as well as the kid (the two biggest audio connoisseurs on the forum) that either you bought either cheap infinity and alpine products
or when they installed the aftermarket system they didnt do it right when it came to bypassing and ditching the bose so it sounded like crap

as the saying goes
no highs
no lows
must be bose...

bose makes good amps and GREAT enclosures
but SHITTY drivers ask anyone who actually turns the system up, i get a post every week about a blown deville or seville dash speak, an eldo or deville blown 6x9 rarely ever do the single bose amps go (when they used multi mini amps those were common to go bad though)

And just another word about this....In my experience which might be limited to your "superior" knowledge, the Bose system in many other cars are even better than the ones they put in Cadillac's. Don't get me wrong Cadillac makes good cars, but they take obvious shortcuts to save cost and it shows in everything they do, Bose might design the system and make it, but Cadillac sure as hell does give them a budget and there's only so much a fail American luxury car company is willing to give to the development of a sound system.

CadillacSTS42005
11-16-06, 05:44 PM
im not getting into a pissing fight with you because your not worth it, this isnt worth it. If your aftermarket set up didnt surpass the bose then it was a botched install its that simple theres nothing to argue about it, and for you who has absoultly how the system works or what sounds good i dont expect to be a good judge, therefore i understand your ignorance. As for me stateing my system is superior to bose guess what IT IS, theres no way in HECK that the bose system sounds better than mine so dont kid yourself, anyone who has done their own install and done it RIGHT knows that it blows the bose away, so when i STATE my system is better than bose call it bragging all you want at a cost of nearly 4 grand it had better be better than bose.
Again you have no idea what your talking about and ive worked on many cars installing many audio systems Bose systems in Mazdas and Mach systems in my friends Ford Escape. Dont call me out and state that i dont know about other audio systems when you are flat out wrong, this just furthers your ignorance. Theres a reason i got that name plate next to my name, its because i DO know what im talking about, i help just about EVERYONE who posts a question down here about their system and when they are gonnna state that bose is better than aftermarket fine its your opinion, its WRONG and im gonna tell people that, and yours gonna have to deal with that.

ed help upgrading

You think thats bragging? ROFL
this is bragging
my systems better than bose
my cars better than yours
im smarter than you
im not stating that i am but if i had thats bragging..

god why do people insist on arguing about things they have no knowledge of and then further ruin their statement by stating that i lack knowledge in other cars systems when i do know...

Elvis
11-16-06, 05:50 PM
There's a good reason why you're an "Advisor" instead of a moderator.

Chill.