: does 5x*4y equal 20xy

OffThaHorseCEO
10-18-06, 10:29 AM
basically i need to know if this makes sense

5x(4y-3)-1(4y-3)=20xy-15x-4y+3

Elvis
10-18-06, 10:37 AM
I only mess with stuff like that when there's money on the line.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-18-06, 10:42 AM

it doesnt make sense , agebra never did ....but if im feeling froggy after im back fromt he doc ill crack open my notes from when i took that class last year

urbanski
10-18-06, 10:53 AM

OffThaHorseCEO
10-18-06, 11:06 AM
we dont need the answer urb we have that, we just need the proper equation i guess you could say

btw the answer is "the nile river"

EcSTSatic
10-18-06, 11:09 AM
Looks right to me. I struggled thru Calculas in college and have never used it in the private sector. :banghead:

ShadowLvr400
10-18-06, 11:10 AM

5x(4y-3)-1(4y-3)

Looks like the equation started as
(5x-1)(4y-3)
Which can go to
5x(4y-3)-1(4y-3)
Onwards into
20xy-15x-4y+3

xxpinballxx
10-18-06, 11:12 AM
yeah you are right and for future reference use this site....
Algebra.Help -- Equation Calculator (http://www.algebrahelp.com/calculators/equation/calc.do?equation=5x%284y-3%29-1%284y-3%29%3D&solvf=AUTO)
real big help for my nephews...

TagApl4
10-18-06, 11:16 AM

Yes it does, I calculated myself, then proceded to check my work w/ my roomate who is a math amjor. Big :highfive: we all got it right!

OffThaHorseCEO
10-18-06, 11:16 AM
cool, thanks for the link, shadow, youre correct in a way, we had to work backwards, so i started with 20xy...

and ended up arriving at (5x-1)(4y-3)

Florian
10-18-06, 03:28 PM
....jesus, this shit still sucks. Hated it then, hate it today. Has no application in life whatsoever.

F

Stoneage_Caddy
10-18-06, 04:03 PM
DAMN RIGHT .....

why i had to spend 3 semsters learning it is still beyond me ....yet we dont have to have any history classes whatso ever ...no wonder college grads are so abesnt minded ...they spent years learning this trival math shit theylll never use but history is optional ....to me history is more important .....how do you know what to do in the future if you had no clue about the past ....no wonder people make the same stupid mistakes over and over

OffThaHorseCEO
10-18-06, 04:22 PM
DAMN RIGHT .....

why i had to spend 3 semsters learning it is still beyond me ....yet we dont have to have any history classes whatso ever ...no wonder college grads are so abesnt minded ...they spent years learning this trival math shit theylll never use but history is optional ....to me history is more important .....how do you know what to do in the future if you had no clue about the past ....no wonder people make the same stupid mistakes over and over

iagree,i love history and im takin world civilizations I, the teacher teaches like a substitute, no offense to subs or antything but they arent supposed to know everything about a subject, they teach out of the book, and so does this teacher

Florian
10-18-06, 04:34 PM
hard to believe, but history was my major. Only major that didnt require math!

F

chuckdobbins
10-18-06, 06:12 PM
never did like factoring...maybe cuz i couldnt do it.

dont ask how i just passed calc 1 and 2 with a C+

CadillacGurl
10-18-06, 06:55 PM
hard to believe, but history was my major. Only major that didnt require math!

F

Smart man. I'm trying to avoid math this whole year in college. I'm taking history classes left and right because I like it. I can babble on and on about WWI and WWII rather than solve geometry problems. GEOMETRY IS THE DEVIL!

I'm not a big fan of math... I can do basic math and algebra but not geo or trig...

MrEr1c
10-18-06, 06:55 PM
Yes, it does make sense.

...wait a minute, am I a little late?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-18-06, 08:54 PM
This is ironic. I just emailed my algebra teacher asking if I'm failing class. This is the sort of stuff I was just learning.

Honestly, I don't know the answer to the question, all I know is you gotta combine like terms and go on from there..

xxpinballxx
10-18-06, 09:01 PM
then that link I gave in an earlier post would be great for you....bookmark it and you'll never miss a homework question.

danbuc
10-18-06, 09:41 PM
Screw Calculus, Algebra, Trigonometry, Geometry.....and why not long division while we're at it. If I can calculate the proper amount of singles to put in the stripper's g-string at Stiletto's....I'm set. It's quite simple really. The basic ratio of #of bills, to amount of Hotness apllies in this situation. More Hotness, equates to more bills. Sometimes, in extreme cases, the amount of Hotness can cause the value of the bill to increase. This has a reverse affect of decreasing the number of bills delt out at the same time though, since each bill is higher in overall value. I guess what we've learned here, is that math doesn't suck.....only math that doesn't apply to strip clubs that is. Calulating the tip at the bar too. That's important as well.:highfive:

Florian
10-18-06, 10:22 PM
Peeler Club equation as follows:

Hotness + amount of time spent grinding my mule = X dollars
If the grinding leads to batch or VIP room handjob, then multiply x by 5

F

Stoneage_Caddy
10-18-06, 10:33 PM
last time stoney even got his mule ground > too long = desperate * 5,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

in other words , dont even let me near your wifes furniture

4 legs+ velcro gloves+ sheep or couches = sounding like a good time to me

Florian
10-18-06, 10:46 PM
Stoney needs some poon. Need to coat her and motor! Blow your load then hit the road....

All good

F

ShadowLvr400
10-19-06, 02:32 AM
Algebra I got, and it actually can be used now and then. Want a nightmare? Calculus. Watching my girl and I looked at it. It's math without logic.

P-Funk
10-19-06, 09:19 AM
I don't see what all of the fuss about algebra and calculus is. Those were easy. It starts to get really hard when you get into differential equations and higher.

dp102288
10-19-06, 09:54 AM
I like math.

Am I the only one??

urbanski
10-19-06, 10:11 AM
I like math.

Am I the only one??

i had a math minor in college. really liked it. made it all the way through diff eqs and linear alg without a C lol

urbanski
10-19-06, 10:11 AM
lol 8 stars :p

CadillacGurl
10-19-06, 04:20 PM
no pink bunnies?:crying:

CadillacETC loves math he's with you DP

danbuc
10-19-06, 05:58 PM
As much as I hate math...I have to say that the few Calculus courses, and the CAD class with Geometry up the wazoo that I took during my breif time at college were alright. It's funny though, cause I could never really go five minutes or more through any math class, be it trig, calc, algebra, geomerty what have you, without thinking to myself..."Am I ever gonna use this crap in my daily life?"....the short answer..NO. Long answer....HELLS NO. I mean, if I had continued with my major in mechanical engineering, and gone on to do soemthing with it, then maybe. Chances are though, that alot of it would not be done by be, but rather my lackies who work for me, of which I would have had many....cause actually working the problem is for loosers.

ewill3rd
10-19-06, 06:21 PM
I LOVE math, Algebra, Trigonometry, etc.
I wish I had gone on to College level mathematics.

Actually I can't do numbers very well, but when the letters start to show up I am good to go. LOL

dp102288
10-20-06, 10:10 AM
I use most of the math I leanred...er...remembered. Trig is actually useful for me.

Leeb
10-20-06, 12:03 PM
If it doesn't result in a binary sequence I'm not interested...
Unless we're discussing my 'checkbook'!
:)

ewill3rd
10-20-06, 05:59 PM
I tried to explain number bases to my helpers the other day, I got the total deer in the headlights look.
Neither of them had even heard of base 8 or base 16.
It was a priceless moment.
:D

They knew what binary was... but not why.

turbojimmy
10-20-06, 06:41 PM
Try some probability functions. It's a whole lot of fun. I'm in telecom and the math is insane. Especially when you get to the wireless realm.

Here's a little math-related diddy that a friend sent. When I first started reading it I thought to myself "I've seen this before....", but there's a new twist at the end:

---------
Subject: Teaching Math

Teaching Math 1950:
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of
production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1960:
production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1970:
production is $80. Did he make a profit?

Teaching Math In 1980:
production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment:
Underline the number 20.

Teaching Math In 1990:
A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and
inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the
preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a
profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living?
Topic for class participation after a answering the question: How
did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their
homes? (There are no wrong answers.)

Teaching Math In 2006:
Un ranchero vende una carretera de maderapara $100. El cuesto de
la produccion era $80. Cuantos tortillas hacen $20 compran.

-------
Jim

OffThaHorseCEO
10-21-06, 12:36 AM
haha

sad thing is foreign kids have more desire to learn than kids brought up in america

everyone thinks foreign kids are so smart, the truth is they know the value of an education

xxpinballxx
10-21-06, 09:17 AM
LOL! POints turbo...i never saw that before....

turbojimmy
10-21-06, 09:26 AM
LOL! POints turbo...i never saw that before....

Thanks. When I posted it I hadn't bothered to read the spanish part carefully. The last sentence translates to "How many tortillas can $20 buy?". I was afraid that someone might find that offensive, but I like tortillas and it is pretty funny.

Jim

dp102288
10-21-06, 10:51 AM
Damn its true. Math used to be harder, but now all the answers are in the back, and these new calculators do all the work for you.

xxpinballxx
10-21-06, 12:00 PM
Yeah I saw that...I took spanish for 5 years and can still just piece together stuff. Even though the last year half my employees spoke spanish most of the time.

turbojimmy
10-21-06, 12:03 PM
Yeah I saw that...I took spanish for 5 years and can still just piece together stuff. Even though the last year half my employees spoke spanish most of the time.

I took some in high school and college but unless you use it, it goes away. I can't understand it when people speak it but in writing I can pick some stuff up.

Jim

xxpinballxx
10-21-06, 12:04 PM
thats basically how I am unless they slow down.