: Hyundai's Future Pickup Truck

Blackout
10-17-06, 04:43 PM
http://www.pickuptruck.com/IMAGES/stories/future/hyundai.jpg

Last year, something like 3.3 million pickup trucks were sold in the U.S. alone. Only four percent of them, or 126,529, were Toyota Tundras, vs. upwards of 30 percent, perhaps a million, units for the market-leading ford big pickups.

So why is it that the Japanese company which markets the best-selling passenger car in the U.S. can't make more of a success with its highly acclaimed full-size pickup?

Indeed, Toyota and Nissan have made repeated attempts over the years to make a significant dent in the U.S. big pickup market, so far with dismal results.

Hyundai has had plenty of time to study the huge truck market and thinks it can get a slice of the pie by offering the most truck for the money,the same way it worked with passenger cars a decade ago. obviously, Hyundai would focus its attention on the Big 3 trucks, Toyota's Tundra and Nissan's Titan.

The question here is not if, but when? The truck market situation in the coming months will tell!

The new pickup?s styling leans on the Talus HCD9 concept crossover shown at the last Detroit Autoshow. It features a power clamshell hatch with undulating exterior lines. Take a good look at the Talus, because this is where Hyundai?s truck design is likely headed.

The new model could be outfitted with a 4.6-liter V8 mated to a six-speed automatic transmission.

illumina
10-17-06, 04:46 PM
El-Cohyundai!

90Brougham350
10-17-06, 05:23 PM
American manufactures still have the advantage with pickups. Public perception in American minds shows Japanese cars are higher quality and get better mileage, but it also shows Americans still think they build the best pickups. Fact of the matter is, they do. I don't think many Americans who traditionally buy pickups are going to switch from their trusted Chevy or Ford to a Hyundai pickup.

Night Wolf
10-18-06, 12:07 AM
That looks more like an SSR/Ridgeline mix to me.

The Japanese really can't compete in the full size truck market here... the closest thing is the Titan, which is a really nice truck... but its not enough. They do have the mini truck market covered tho.... atleast the 80's/early 90's era.... these little Isuzu's and the Toyotas would rack up half a million miles like nothing....the days of the Toyota 22R/E... Same with the '89-'97 Isuzu trucks.... things kinda changed in the mid-lateish 90's.... started breakin down more often, needing more work, and more expensive to repair... the industry as a whole...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-18-06, 12:19 AM
That truck is ugly as sin, like Rick said, it looks like a wanna-be truck in the form of a Ridgeline.

Most owners of full size pickup trucks are a very brand loyal bunch. They wouldn't switch from Chevy to Ford (or visa-versa), so you can imagine how hard it'd be to go from any sort of American made truck to a foreign made truck. Plus, the truck owners are *usually* the most patriotic, and that makes it that much harder to switch to a foreign built truck, no matter how good it was built, or how many features it has standard, or the price.

xxpinballxx
10-18-06, 12:24 AM
From that drawing it will come out like a plain old truck with that hyundai ugly as hell grill. Probably wont make it past the concept car phase....

dp102288
10-18-06, 10:27 AM
It would be cool for them to biuld it, but no one would trust a Hyundai to tow a trailer.

CadillacGurl
10-18-06, 11:57 AM
It would be cool for them to biuld it, but no one would trust a Hyundai to tow a trailer.

Indeed, I couldn't see a guy driving that thing with a boat in tow behind it. Stick to the Chevys!

Night Wolf
10-18-06, 11:58 AM
Some act as if Hyundai has never made a truck before....

http://worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/common/img/showroom/truck/cargo/exterior/ex_fb_01.gif

http://worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/common/img/showroom/truck/mixer/focus/main.jpg

http://worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/common/img/showroom/truck/tractor/focus/main.jpg

http://worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/common/img/showroom/truck/dump/focus/main.jpg

http://worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/common/img/showroom/truck/vantruck/tr_img06.gif

http://worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/common/img/showroom/truck/other/tr_img09.gif

http://worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/common/img/showroom/truck/tanklorry/tr_img10.gif

http://worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/common/img/showroom/bus/superaero/focus/main.jpg

And they already have a 4.5L DOHC V8 that is used in their flagship car.... not sold here:

http://worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/common/img/showroom/passenger/centennial/safety/performance/sa_peb_02.gif

Plus they already have this in Europe:

http://worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/common/img/showroom/truck/h1_truck/focus/main.jpg

So I really think if Hyundai wanted to build a light/medium duty pickup to sell here, it wouldn't be all that big of a stretch for them.

90Brougham350
10-18-06, 12:09 PM
Well sure, they've been building heavy trucks for a while now, but their weakness isn't the ability to build it, it's the ability to influence American buyers, as Chad pointed out. They might be able to build a truck, but their weakness lies in the 4.5 liter. Buying a truck with a 4.5 liter might work if it was the smallest engine available, but who's going to tow a boat, do construction work or haul wood with a DOHC 4.5 liter? Plus, not to mention the "feminine" factor; who'd want to drive a Hyundai truck with a 4.5 when they could buy a Dodge with a Hemi or a Cummins, a Ford with a Triton or a Powerstroke, or a Chevy with an LSx or Powerstroke? A "real" man drives a truck that can take any amount of abuse and has plenty of power, not some girly foreign job.

OffThaHorseCEO
10-18-06, 12:13 PM
That truck is ugly as sin, like Rick said, it looks like a wanna-be truck in the form of a Ridgeline.

Most owners of full size pickup trucks are a very brand loyal bunch. They wouldn't switch from Chevy to Ford (or vice-versa),

thats not always true, i work in insurance as you might know, so when someone buys a new car, they call me to add it to the policy, so i know what they had and what they are replacing it with, ive had many ford to chevy, i always jokingly comment "ford to GM, looks like you came to your senses huh". or when they switch to ford from gm i always say (jokingly of course to avoid offending) "so, im guessing your wife likes fords"

also, a guy i know is patriotic to the max, and drives a toyota tundra, therere plenty of guy that are heritage not hate guys if you know what i mean and they drive the big toyotas, the point is, if it looks and acts like a good truck, then they'll buy it, however, the ridgeline is a joke to me, the ssr, is a pickup, but i wouldnt wanna haul anything with it. and that drawing up there, ha, never

OffThaHorseCEO
10-18-06, 12:18 PM

Most owners of full size pickup trucks are a very brand loyal bunch. They wouldn't switch from Chevy to Ford (or visa-versa), so you can imagine how hard it'd be to go from any sort of American made truck to a foreign made truck. Plus, the truck owners are *usually* the most patriotic, and that makes it that much harder to switch to a foreign built truck, no matter how good it was built, or how many features it has standard, or the price.

Well sure, they've been building heavy trucks for a while now, but their weakness isn't the ability to build it, it's the ability to influence American buyers, as Chad pointed out. They might be able to build a truck, but their weakness lies in the 4.5 liter. Buying a truck with a 4.5 liter might work if it was the smallest engine available, but who's going to tow a boat, do construction work or haul wood with a DOHC 4.5 liter? Plus, not to mention the "feminine" factor; who'd want to drive a Hyundai truck with a 4.5 when they could buy a Dodge with a Hemi or a Cummins, a Ford with a Triton or a Powerstroke, or a Chevy with an LSx or Powerstroke? A "real" man drives a truck that can take any amount of abuse and has plenty of power, not some girly foreign job.

well in defense of hyundai, if you buy a diesel truck its usually not a 1500 which is your every day guy pickup truck, base v8 silverados and sierras are 1500's f150=1500

those who really use them for work and hard hauling use 2500+ aka f250 etc
which is a heavy duty truck, and hyundai has done heavy duty

the point is, if they can design it to look right, and give it a manly look it could maybe sell, but first they need to build up their image, the cars they are selling may be gettin nicer, but theyre not getting any manlier

btw i live in nc where 2 out of 5 vehicles is a truck (estimate) and 1 out ot 500 trucks is a ridgeline or ssr. make it look like it can haul and tow and it will sell

Blackout
10-18-06, 01:18 PM
The thing that will be a big selling point is the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty. If this truck gets that warranty or not is still up in the air but if it does get it that would sway buyers IMO. But when Chad and 90Brougham350 were saying

it's the ability to influence American buyers is far from the truth. If you have been paying attention to the car sales for the past few years Hyundai and Kia have slowly but surely gaining market share while the big 3 have slowly losing market share. Do not sleep on Hyundai because it was only a couple of years ago when Hyundai was making some bad cars and now looking at the cars they have today they have come leaps and bounds from what they were making before. That new Azera has been winnning some decent awards from J.D Power and Associates for the most appealing large car and for the money you get a shit load of options that other cars in its class don't even have or are options. Hell a fully loaded top of the line Azera is just a hair over $30k.

xxpinballxx
10-18-06, 03:21 PM
that Azera is one nice car too. And like blackout said its not the hyundais of the 90's. They are getting up there in quality and price....still hate the grilles they are putting on these cars and I think the design team needs to rethink some of their lines.
Look at Saturn. The new aura is one the the nicest interiors I have ever seen or sat in. It costs around 27k-28k fully loaded.

90Brougham350
10-18-06, 07:10 PM
Truck drivers are a different breed than the average urbanite. Ruthie's father is one of 13 brothers and sisters, they all live in Wisconsin or Minnesota, and 9 of the 13 are farmers. There isn't a foreign vehicle in the entire family, all Dodge and Chevy pickups, and a few Pontiacs for the girls. I don't know a single one of them that would ever buy a foreign pickup. These are the die-hard patriotic pick-up buyers that won't buy a Hyundai, and I have a feeling there is some truth to this throughout America. I'll admit without hesistation that Hyundai has improved their quality and design significantly, but pickups are a different market.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-18-06, 08:13 PM
Truck drivers are a different breed than the average urbanite. Ruthie's father is one of 13 brothers and sisters, they all live in Wisconsin or Minnesota, and 9 of the 13 are farmers. There isn't a foreign vehicle in the entire family, all Dodge and Chevy pickups, and a few Pontiacs for the girls. I don't know a single one of them that would ever buy a foreign pickup. These are the die-hard patriotic pick-up buyers that won't buy a Hyundai, and I have a feeling there is some truth to this throughout America. I'll admit without hesistation that Hyundai has improved their quality and design significantly, but pickups are a different market.

Same here, my mother is one of 7 brothers and sisters. My oldest uncle on that side is a dentist, and he has a farm on the side. He drives a '94 GMC K2500 with the 454, a '06 Vette and his wife has an '03 Bravada. His daughters both drive Pontiacs if I'm not mistaken. Now my other uncle on that side was a Chevy tech, now he's a machinist, he has a '95 S-10, a '96 Cutlass Supreme Coupe, and a '67 full size Chevy truck ( I can't think of the name right now). He is a Chevy diehard. He's had two cars in his lifetime other than Chevys, one is that Olds, and the other was an old Pontiac Ventura if I'm not mistaken. My mothers sisters all have GM cars too, and all of their husbands own GM, except one aunt who drives VW's and Audis. My mom's parents always had GM's, my grandma has had fullsize Buicks since the early '60s and my grandpa had Chevy trucks I believe since the '80s, now since she's passed on, he also got an '02 Bravada, and the only reason I believe he went with the Bravada over a Buick version of that model is because Buick didn't have the Rainier out yet.

Point of story, most everyone from my mom's side of the family is a GM diehard, so that's where my perspective comes from, and I was raised GM. Also, as you all might know, I work in a Chevy dealer with people whom for the majority only like Chevys, they wouldn't go to any other brand, and they especially hate Cadillacs. But luckily for me, I don't tend to listen to them too much when it comes to Cadillacs. :D

Do not sleep on Hyundai because it was only a couple of years ago when Hyundai was making some bad cars and now looking at the cars they have today they have come leaps and bounds from what they were making before. That new Azera has been winnning some decent awards from J.D Power and Associates for the most appealing large car and for the money you get a shit load of options that other cars in its class don't even have or are options. Hell a fully loaded top of the line Azera is just a hair over $30k.

Don't get me wrong, Hyundai has made some very very impressive steps in the past 5-7 years. The Azera is a plain awesome near luxury sedan, great looking, loaded, and it's got an awesome sounding name. If I was in the market for a small sport coupe, the Tiburon would be my #1 choice, but I still don't think that a Hyundai full size pickup truck would be taken seriously by the people who are diehard american truck fans. It took Toyota a long time to build up credibility for their Tundra, and Toyota has been around for 15-20 years longer than Hyundai has.

I believe Hyundai has the capability to build a pickup truck as good as the Titan or Ram or what have you, but will it be taken seriously? I don't know.

It might be a lot tougher to sell a Korean made truck in Minnesota (especially in the Northern part), because as you know, Minnesota has a large iron range that used to supply iron to GM, Ford and Chrysler until the mid '70s, when the Korean/Chinese steel was used a lot more because it was cheaper. Now that means tons of iron workers were layed off, companies went bankrupt and a lot of towns died or lost a lot of business and population. Now I think there is a lot of resentment with the older members of our community towards the foreign cars and foreign steel due to this event that happened back in the '70s and early '80s. And what do a lot of these older blue collared workers drive? Full size trucks.

Night Wolf
10-18-06, 11:20 PM

lol, just cause the DOHC 4.5L V8 is in their flagship CAR dosn't mean it would be the only powerplant in a truck if they were to even use that engine... I just simply pointed out, Hyundai does in fact make a V8 engine for consumer use... same with Nissan and Toyota.... Honda, OTOH still hasn't caught on to that concept.

I'll tell you one thing... if Hyundai made a truck... a real truck with real truck components... I'd be driving that a whole lot faster then I would be the Honda Ridgeline car. I am not saying Hyundai will, or will not build it, or that people will or will not buy it, I am simply saying that if they wanted to, they most definitly could, and if they did, I am sure people would buy it... brand loyalty is a huge thing for some people and they will stick to one brand no matter what.... but the average American couldn't care less, they are gonna buy what appeals to them, fits their budget etc... I deal with the average Joe about cars on a daily basis... trust me, I know... I've talked with people that have had nothing but Chevy trucks since the 70's, got a new TrailBlzer, it turned out to be a POS and GM or the dealer basically tells them oh well... and he said once its paid off hes getting a Toyota truck.... on the same note I've talked with Toyota and Honda fans who have had bad luck with them and are getting a Ford/Dodge/GM next....

Personally, Hyundai appeals to me, they make a decent product. Various family members have different Hyundai's and they have all been very good, they are a decent car, tho they don't hold their value at all, but that means you can get a 3-4 year old Hyundai with 60k miles for about $5k... not a bad deal at all for a "new" car. The Tiburon is now a nice car, their XG350 is quite the luxury car (and its not even their flagship) I'd pick the new Elantra over a Camry/Accord (if resale value wasn't a big deal) and the other cars are decent... about the only one I don't like is the Accent, but what do you expect from a new car for $8k? The Santa Fe, which actually does quite well off-road as Motor tred tested out various newer SUV's is not too bad either, my great uncle is on their 2nd one, and they like them both.

It's a big world out there... if its made, people will buy it. would a Hyundai truck beat the F-150 in sales? No, but I highly doubt that is Hyundai's goal.

Plus, Hyundai's plan was to always start small, get the name out there.... then work up... remember Hyundai 10 years ago?

Night Wolf
10-18-06, 11:29 PM
thats not always true, i work in insurance as you might know, so when someone buys a new car, they call me to add it to the policy, so i know what they had and what they are replacing it with, ive had many ford to chevy, i always jokingly comment "ford to GM, looks like you came to your senses huh". or when they switch to ford from gm i always say (jokingly of course to avoid offending) "so, im guessing your wife likes fords"

also, a guy i know is patriotic to the max, and drives a toyota tundra, therere plenty of guy that are heritage not hate guys if you know what i mean and they drive the big toyotas, the point is, if it looks and acts like a good truck, then they'll buy it, however, the ridgeline is a joke to me, the ssr, is a pickup, but i wouldnt wanna haul anything with it. and that drawing up there, ha, never

I can't even begin to count the amount of people in their military uniforms that drive Camrys and Accords.

To some people a car is just a mode of transportation.

I have the Christain fish w/ cross on the bumper of the Isuzu, a magnetic American flag ribbon, and another American flag ribbon that says God Bless America on the trailing side of the left front fender, at perfect height for people in their cars to look over at the stop light and read. Once I get $25 together to replace my dry rotted, cracking and stitch-ripping tail-gate mounted spare tire cover, I am getting one from work that has an image of the American flag. I am conservative, Christain and patriotic.... yet I drive a 4cyl Isuzu. Oh well.

The lines b/w the brand are getting blurred even more, take the Titan for example... built here in the US with US workers using mostly US made parts (about 90%) a Silverado tho.... ~60% built in the US, mostly US workers (in the US factories) and using parts made from all over the globe (~60% made in US) Toyota and Honda continue to open more and more plants up here in the states too.

Not taking sides.... but it kinda throws the whole patriotic thing out... not saying some redneck is going to be hunting in a Ridgeline, but the Titan and new Tundra are very competative trucks for someone in that market.

Heck there is a big redneck guy at school that drives a Saturn Vue... and makes it well known otn eh vehicle his feelings and stuff on things.... do what ya gotta do is all.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-18-06, 11:36 PM
Rick, I think you're starting to like the imports a little too much! ;)

Night Wolf
10-18-06, 11:43 PM
Just opened my eyes to new things, thats all :).

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-18-06, 11:52 PM
Exactly! That's fine!

Blackout
10-19-06, 06:24 AM
I think it's funny how people talk about patriotism about their vehicles and to buy american but yet it seems like the auto comapnies have done a reversal. Imports are getting built here while domestics are being built else where. Hell I was surprised to learn that the Jeep Grand Cherokee is built in Austria! But Toyota has been doing ad's with the Tundra and trying to drive the point home that their product is made in the US

dp102288
10-19-06, 10:06 AM
^^ Very true. The old domestic and foreign lines are getting blurred.

90Brougham350
10-19-06, 02:46 PM
It goes back (again) to public perception. A Japanese brand like Toyota, let's say, is still a Japanese truck to most Americans, whether it's built here or over there. Perception plays such an enormous role in automobile sales, it takes years, maybe even decades to change. That's where Hyundai will encounter the most problems with a full-size pickup.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-19-06, 07:53 PM
When I worked at the Nissan dealer, I'd see tons of your typical blue collared guys driving Titans, a lot of them loved them, didn't matter who made it and in which country. A lot of the people I work with now would never ever buy a Nissan Titan, no matter how good it is.

dp102288
10-20-06, 10:11 AM
^^ That's the bad part to me. Even if the "foreign" ones are better, because everyone buys from the "domestic" brands, they think they can put out sub-quality and still sell it. Slows down the rate of improvement and innovation.

Zorb750
10-21-06, 07:00 AM
The only Hyundai I want is the Hyundai Centennial.