: 97 cadillac catera

Zakiya06
10-17-06, 11:06 AM
I have a 97 catera that is having some problems.
1. I have a cooling leak. From reading the other forums my quess would be that it is the heater control valve.

2. When I'm driving regardless if air is off or on, i smell fumes. It kind of smell like oil burning. Does anyone know what this might be. Could it also be related to the heater control valve.

3. When my car is running every now and then her a noise. It's not a ticking noise. it almost sounds like vaccum or air. it isn't constant. i only hear when I'm sitting still both in park and drive. has anyone else had this problem or know what it might be?

4. I would like to upgrade to a cd player or disc changer any tips on what I can do.

5. Also i just purchased this catera 3-2006. it was used with 79,000. How can I find out if there are any recalls that havent been repaired on this car. is there any limitations as to when u can get a recall repaired.

Please help. I have lost all faith in the cadillac dealers here in kentucky they all just want to rip u off.

graphicsman
10-18-06, 01:54 AM
1) Heater control valve is easy to check, so start there. Search for it in the forums. Not that hard to check and replace

2) Likely valve cover gaskets. At least this is the behavior I had when mine were going. Look at the sides of the engine where the black plastic hits metal and I'll bet you'll see a line of oil. This is more of a pain to fix, but you can take a look at the oil cooler when your in there and see if that needs to be replaced as well. This job is a pain, but can be done in a Saturday afternoon with some help.

3) If this happens mostly on cold start, I believe it's the secondary water pump. Kinda a whining noise for a bit. Both of the 99's I have do this.

4) USA spec sells ones you can put in the trunk and hook up to the CD changer connector back there. I'm about to do this for my iPod.

5) You can get an online GM account which will give you service records for the car, or you can ask the dealer to look up your VIN. There is no expiration on recalls, and the dealer gets paid by GM to do them, so they don't usually screw around.

All Cadillac dealers are expensive, just as Lexus/Infiniti/BWM/Mercedes. I also think most dealers hate seeing Cateras (some will refer to them as Crap-teras) because they are hard to work on and not all mechanics were trained on them.

Zakiya06
10-18-06, 11:54 AM
Thank You so much for the speedy response. You've been a big help. Do you know where u can get accesoreis pretty cheap? i have misplaced my keyless entry, and my cup holder is broke. Dealer wants 150 just for cup holder. Any suggestions?

graphicsman
10-18-06, 11:23 PM
ebay