Hammondsix
10-16-06, 09:13 PM
Ok....

Which exhaust bolt are the best(strongest) replacement for my existing ones

I have a 94 fleetwood with 124k miles.

Here is what ive done to it.

Transmission oil and filter
Engine oil and filter
plugs on the right side (waiting with the plugs on the other side untill i need to change the exhaust bolts)
checked front bearings
greased front end
diff oil
Fuel filter
airfilter

What else do i need to do?

Hammondsix
10-17-06, 07:51 AM
I guess this forum is more about chrome, paint and wheels than mechanical stuff...

Im a little dissapointed to be honest. This is the second time i have a mechanical question that nobody can respond to.

N0DIH
10-17-06, 01:22 PM
Honestly, this is the wrong forum for engine tech for the LT1, it is far better supported at impalassforum.com

Don't dis the forum if you are coming for free help and don't get what you want in a few hours. Not everyone can get on her every hour of every day. Sorry to dissappoint you.

Did you go to GM and order the new bolts? Grade 8 is as hard and tough as they come. Hence no answers. GM HAD issues with them breaking. eBay is a common place to find GM bolts too.

BCs71
10-17-06, 06:25 PM
Yep, I check in once a day except on the weekends most of the time. So be patient and I'm sure someone will come along and pitch in.

I used grade 8 bolts (right from the bins in the hardware store, I just took old crappy grade 5 bolts in with me and measured them up for length comparison).

GM also makes a direct replacement kit (pretty sure theirs are grade 8 also) that includes all new bolts of exact length, spacers, studs, nuts, etc. This was made and packaged together since so many LT1 vehicles with iron heads (B and D bodies) kept having broken bolts. Sorry, I don't know the part number.
But Dal will definitely know the number if you give him a call or email him (have patience getting ahold of him) -- he has an encyclopedia of GM parts info and numbers in his brain and supplies GM parts cheaper than anyone else in the country.
phone: 877-448-5451
email: lockitup "at" bright.net

What else do i need to do?
I guess that depends on what your goals are with the car? Are you interested in performance mods or just general maintenance for now?
As for maintenance, I didn't see a new PCV valve on your list. I would also consider new spark plug wires if still original, as well as oxygen (o2) sensors.

Also consider disabling the AIR pump if it hasn't been already. It can introduce water (condensation, technically) into your air intake -- it will coat the MAF and give false readings, In worst case situations the water can even get into the engine. On your car you can simply unplug the pump at the wiring connector and then plug off the hose that runs into the airbox.
Speaking of coating the MAF, it should be routinely cleaned anyway (carefully, the little wires inside are delicate) with electrical parts spray cleaner and a Q-tip. May also be a good idea to clean out the throttle body with TB cleaner spray.

You can even consider the old Seafoam treatment through the brake booster vacuum hose if you think that you have carbon build-up (likely with your mileage). It's recommended that you change plugs AFTER this treatment, though.

96Fleetwood
10-17-06, 06:29 PM
I second the grade 8 bolts. Check the gaskets too, you don't want one to blow and then have to do the whole process over again.

Hammondsix
10-17-06, 07:21 PM
Thanks alot.

BTW that first message was written before my morning coffe, hence the cranky tone.

sorry...

ocjmakaveli
10-20-06, 01:19 AM
Just go to any hardware store with one exhaust bolt and get grade 8 bolts.

Sometimes theres a guy that sells the complete set on ebay but hes not selling any currently.

I believe they are 3/8-16 and 1-1/2" long but some of them are 2" long if I remember correctly. Just try and replace them with a similar length.

I recommend heating them before removal so they don't break.

If you replace the gaskets use the napa gaskets because htey are made of metal. The autozone gaskets are flimsy plastic crap. The napa gaskets are more oem like.

ShadowLvr400
10-20-06, 10:50 AM
Blar, don't be mean. It's too early in the day for grumpiness. And I've been busy, haven't been patrolling the forums as much. Grade 8's are the way to go. As for the gaskets, I don't have advice. I've got to live with some snapped off boltsmyself, at least until I do a teardown.

GEORGE J UHLER
10-23-06, 08:01 AM
If your really serious. With a 125 thou on the original motor it could be time to check the timing chain and gears for wear and looseness. Any slack at all on the timing chain would indicated the need for a replacement.

When putting it back together it would be a good time too for replacing the Opti-spark distributor cap.

Hammondsix
10-23-06, 08:44 AM
so it looks like i have my work cut out for me.

1, exhaust bolts
2, egr valve,
3 clean MAF
4, left side plugs
5 Timingchain

thats a whole weekends worth of work...

Thanks guys!