: The air we breathe. the environment

Richard Miller
10-16-06, 08:12 AM
On another thread there is a strong out-lash for the green cars. I do not entirely agree with this pollute the world, **** the Prias view. I also have a strong emotional attachment to my SDV. Some places I have heard in rumor are trying to get rid of old cars. I have no knowledge where or if there is any fact to that so it will be mentioned here only once.

We have all heard the environmentalist point of view. that horse is dead and beaten. Some things to remember is a tuned engine is a happy engine. A car such as a Cadillac should not be bellowing smoke. In fact I have less visible crap coming out of my exhaust than most 10-15 yr old cars. My car is a '79.

The benefit to the old carbed V8: I could go and install a LP/NCG and have a car cleaner than an Insight or Prius. Lets see a newer car convert fuel systems. It is not our cars, it is the fuel. We all use it and if it becomes a political issue. we need to consider the alternatives. None of which is sending my car to the crusher.

caplt4
10-16-06, 08:28 AM
in mater of fact couple of weeks ago, i couldn't sleep so i turn the tv on and i started to whatching something about the epa and the inviroment, and the host of this program was saying that there is scientific proof now, that we are not cousing any thing to the ozone layer, that lately there was a intensy study about the ozone layer been burn by the gases that we create, and they found out that we don't even create a dent on the ozone layer, there was even a governor from some state that he protested towards higher epa rules back in the 80's and stuff like that, because he didn't know the facts, but now he was involve in the study by this science guys, adn found out the result, nothing, mother nature has a handle on things, all that talk about the world becoming a desert, it ain't going to happen now maybe in a couple of thousand years, who knows, and they talk about the ice age too, nature it's melting the ice in the north and south, to have a balance.
We can't control mother nature, it will get cold and it will get hot, also we are a few of the countries that have high epa stardard, what about the rest of the world.
we are not scientis or have the equipment to make this studies, so we have to go by what they tell us.
i'm keeping my car untill i can't no more.

mharker
10-16-06, 09:07 AM
Yeah I don't know what all the Prius-bashing is about. Makes it sound like EVERYONE who drives a Prius hates Cadillacs, or ALL the bureaucrats getting junkers off the road are driving Priuses.

I'm a car enthusiasts - period. For whatever reason my passions are vintage Cadillacs, Buicks, Corvettes, Rolls-Royces, and other high consumption cars. But I certainly respect my other car buddies who like smaller cars like VW Beetles, MGs, Porsches, and yes even Hondas and Toyotas.

The Prius is an awesome piece of technology, and particularly cool as it is hybrid-only and on its second generation. The other hybrids are just afterthoughts and reworked models.

Many people know I am a car enthusiast and ask my opinions when shopping for cars. Depending on their needs, I make all sorts of recommendations. Sometimes I tell them to buy vintage caddies, and I have told a few of them to buy Priuses.

And if I did a lot of commuting, I would certainly consider a Prius myself. I'd be pretty disappointed if a fellow car enthusiast keyed it because they thought I was somehow the enemy.

N0DIH
10-16-06, 11:30 AM
Maybe if we all stopped exhaling for 1 minute everyday we would save the planet with the saved CO2 emissions? Maybe we need catalytic converters to breath through too.

Maybe we should ban all smoking, all the particulate matter and CO/CO2 that is emitted daily must account for something. Give those treehuggers something new to worry about.

If you think of all the toxic materials the Prius has and has excess from the production factory the 1979 Cadillac is far more environmentally friendly, as it is STILL on the road some 28 years later. How many Prius will survive 28 years. As a comparisson, how many 1979 Toyota cars are still on the road? I'm betting less than 1979 Cadillacs.....

mharker
10-16-06, 11:37 AM
As a comparisson, how many 1979 Toyota cars are still on the road? I'm betting less than 1979 Cadillacs.....

Globally? More Toyotas than Caddies by far.

And today's Toyotas will be on the road way longer than today's GMs. Also Priuses will last longer than whatever hybrid GM can cook up.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-16-06, 12:23 PM
Yeah I don't know what all the Prius-bashing is about. Makes it sound like EVERYONE who drives a Prius hates Cadillacs, or ALL the bureaucrats getting junkers off the road are driving Priuses.

I'm a car enthusiasts - period. For whatever reason my passions are vintage Cadillacs, Buicks, Corvettes, Rolls-Royces, and other high consumption cars. But I certainly respect my other car buddies who like smaller cars like VW Beetles, MGs, Porsches, and yes even Hondas and Toyotas.

The Prius is an awesome piece of technology, and particularly cool as it is hybrid-only and on its second generation. The other hybrids are just afterthoughts and reworked models.

Many people know I am a car enthusiast and ask my opinions when shopping for cars. Depending on their needs, I make all sorts of recommendations. Sometimes I tell them to buy vintage caddies, and I have told a few of them to buy Priuses.

And if I did a lot of commuting, I would certainly consider a Prius myself. I'd be pretty disappointed if a fellow car enthusiast keyed it because they thought I was somehow the enemy.

I pretty much agree with everything you said MHarker.

As for me, I don't hate Priuses per se, but I hate what they stand for. These cars are Toyota's rebuttal to all the big, gas guzzlin, V8 powered, powerful american cars I love so dearly. I do think that Priuses have a lot of cool high tech stuff in it, but I'd never buy one. It's too extreme, too out there. If I was gonna buy a car that got super high MPG, I'd be going for a Civic or a Mini or even a diesel Jetta. And it seems like everyone that drives a Prius is some sort of a hardcore environmentalist or liberal (yes I did just say it) and it seems as though those people generally don't like Cadillacs (or any large, plutocratic sort of car) and that's what I love. So we don't exactly see eye to eye, but I won't make a point of saying anything negative to them about their car. It's not the way I am.

If a person was to go looking for a hybrid/ super efficent car, I'd go tell them to go look at the Prius, they're the best hybrids out there apparently, but I'd never go for one.

Florian
10-16-06, 01:30 PM
The Prius is an awesome piece of technology, and particularly cool as it is hybrid-only and on its second generation. .

Wait til you see one in an accident and the batteries leak....who cleans up all those chemicals???? From what I understand, the owner is responsible for the haz-mat chemical clean up which isnt covered by your automobile policy. So, have an extra 10G for a hazmat team??? go buy a green-mobile. Me, Ill just continue to guzzle gas in my highly modified V.

F

Jesda
10-16-06, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I live in the peaceful 'burbs on a flat piece of land where one small breeze blows away the meager amount of pollution we have, and the tap water is sparkling clean.

All the tree-huggers are, amusingly, based in big cities like LA and NY. No wonder they think the sky is falling.

Adam
10-16-06, 03:20 PM
guys, this thread isnt too bad right now but it could get ugly. lets keep it civil ok? :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-16-06, 03:26 PM
Wait til you see one in an accident and the batteries leak....who cleans up all those chemicals???? From what I understand, the owner is responsible for the haz-mat chemical clean up which isnt covered by your automobile policy. So, have an extra 10G for a hazmat team??? go buy a green-mobile. Me, Ill just continue to guzzle gas in my highly modified V.

F

Ya know it's funny, you never hear about the possible environmental disasters that go with owning a Hybrid, but we always hear about how much gas we suck. It's a shame.

Rick186
10-16-06, 09:42 PM
It's getting late and I'm too lazy to go downstairs and get the paper from the Cadillac so I can brag about how clean my 1995 FWB is according to its latest emissions test. But, FOR THE RECORD:
The last eruption of Mount Pinatubo, belched out more particulate matter, more hydrocarbons and more other garbage than mankind had put upward for the last 3 centuries according to the measurements made at the time.
But you had to scramble to find the data.
Also, for the record; GM (Caddy's daddy) is one of the leaders in Hydrogen fuel research as DiamlerChrysler. The latter, however, has a car already running around per the latest POPULAR MECHANICS magazine issue.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-16-06, 10:24 PM
Yeah, there is much more ****ing up the environment than a few '70s cars...just think about all the dirty industrial parts of all the cities in the world. Or all the volcanoes, or all the cows and their cow farts. Etc etc...

illumina
10-16-06, 10:51 PM
Natural selction may one day favor human beings that are immune to smog. I'll take my chances and keep driving my Cadillac(s).

eldorado99
10-17-06, 01:31 AM
I have thought about this issue because of being brought up in a pretty liberal school system. It seems like every liberal in Canada has to become a public school teacher. Nearly all of my teachers over the years kept telling me of the horrors of greenhouse gases.

Humans seem to worry about anything and everything too much. We pay far too much attention to the people who yell the loudest, and we believe our own bullsh*t. Remember how everyone believed the Earth was the centre of the universe? It may be easy to dismiss as primitive thought but we're just as vulnerable today as we were 300 years ago; we just like to think we know more.

Now I'm not saying everyone is a treehugger or an extremist in any way, but I believe that some of the treehuggers out their have not entirely thought their stance through.

EDIT: Oh jeez now you've got me rambling to myself "How do we know the Earth isn't the centre of the universe?..." Well, I'm not going to be sleeping tonight.

dp102288
10-17-06, 08:28 AM
I drive...period. The enviroment doesn't bother me, especially with the factories and other stuff doing more polluting in one day then I will do in a year. If someone told me that if I could remove my catalyic converter and gain lots of hp of mpg, I would probably do it, and not even blink.