: Dusty engine...

uRabbit
10-15-06, 03:42 PM
How should I go about cleaning my engine? It's really dusty. It's been that way for a few months cause it sat in a dirt lot at the dealer.

Would it be okay to just spray it off with a hose? My dad says it'd be fine. My brother says no.

netager
10-24-06, 10:37 PM
Cover ECU, fuse box and everything that looks electic-related with foil, spray oily spots with Simple Green, let it seat for few minutes. Spray with the hose. After it's dry can use some CD2 Engine Detailer sparay for shine.

Warez
10-24-06, 11:01 PM
Just go to a DIY car wash and pressure wash the engine bay. I've done it before with no problems at all and didn't need to cover any electrical components.

JRau
11-07-06, 12:38 PM
Walmart, Target, and most big grocery stores should carry "Orange Blast." It's a household heavy duty degreaser,and comes in a bright clear orange spray bottle. This stuff is incredible!!!

Spray this liberally on a very slightly warm (run about 2-3 minutes or so) engine. Wait about 10 minutes, then use a garden hose with a sprayer attachment to hose it off. The high pressure washer is a bit risky. You can also use an old car wash sponge to get some of the big areas under the hood while the Orange Blast is working, but just hose it off well.

Start the car up after you've rinsed off the engine, go for a drive to let the engine dry out a bit. IF you want your engine to shine as well as just being clean, cover your exposed fenders and windshield with towels or a blanket--whatever, and then use Acrylic Clear Gloss spray paint throughout the engine bay. It looks really awesome when you're done! :)

JRau in central Iowa

PS: Check out my engine in the RWD Brougham Forum under "Clean Car + Beautiful Day = Photo Time, and you'll see what I mean.