: Bizarre rush hour traffic behavior.

Jesda
10-14-06, 07:16 AM
Does this happen where you live?

This week my job scheduled me from 5p-midnight, which unfortunately means I had to be on the road at rush hour. I noticed that people like to cram in the far left lane, leaving the middle and right lane WIDE open. The right lanes move faster! WTF is up with that?

I'm then left with no choice but to pass on the right [blue line], which would probably earn me a ticket if I was caught. Imagine how much better traffic would flow if people decided to actually use all of the lanes.

http://www.q45.org/gallery/d/83-1/left+lane+cramming.gif

CIWS
10-14-06, 07:22 AM
But.. But the left lane is the fast lane. Since it's rush hour drivers should stack up in the rush lane. :D

dp102288
10-14-06, 08:09 AM
I love to pass on the right. makes the other driver realize they are driving too slow. :D

Rush hour traffic requires some modifications to anyone's driving behavior.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-14-06, 08:36 AM
You can get tickets for passing on the right?! Damn, I've been lucky these past 3 years! lol!

ChicagoCTS32
10-14-06, 09:30 AM
Jesda, the same phenomenon happens in chicago. I don't have to battle freeway rush hour traffic now that I live 4 miles from work, but when I did the same junk happens. People rush to the left lane because they think it's going to go faster, and the middle lane ends up being the quickest route. The right lane up here is mostly reserved for people exiting and merging, so I avoid that lane like the plague.

DILLIGAF
10-14-06, 12:13 PM
People in the left lane should DIE.I like seeing how close I can get the brush bar on my pickup to them,they always move out of my way.At night it's even funner.I follow nobody in the car!

danbuc
10-14-06, 04:05 PM
That happens at 2:00 in the mornign around here, even with 3 people on the road. I still find some ass driving really slow in the left lane. I tell ya, living so close to NYC is a double edged sword if you will. Real close to all the craziest, strangest bars and clubs you could imagine, but damn does it take forever to get anywhere.

dp102288
10-16-06, 07:57 AM
I don't like getting in or out of NYC. Too much pain and suffering...for the car. And I hate it too.

codewize
10-16-06, 08:43 AM
I don't drive in NYC much but I will tell you that around here big cars have an influence. I just drive and people move. Lights turn green for me when I approach and people don't even think about stepping off the curb in front of me.

I don't know why but I've had several people and passengers say these types of things to me.

Maybe I'm blessed in some way?