: Timeserts

richbanta
10-14-06, 05:25 AM
Hey, I am going to replace my own headgaskets. Where are some helpful threads? Where can I get timesert kits and how much do they cost? Are there any other thread repair kits that can be used? And while I got it out, what else should I do to the engine?

Thanks

zonie77
10-14-06, 10:50 AM
Look at N* Head Gasket repair in the tech tips section.

zonie77
10-14-06, 10:53 AM
I've read that timesert doesn't sell direct anymore so start looking at ebay right away, or post here and see if anyone is selling a kit.

MUGSANDLUKE
10-14-06, 05:25 PM
You can have a Caddy dealer order the Timeserts for you. Just visit any of the threads here that deal with overheating or headgaskets. You'll find plenty of info. Also go to Timeserts.com for their own info regarding their products.

richbanta
10-15-06, 05:17 AM
I am wondering. If I order the timeserts from the caddy dealer, do they also supply the drills, taps and jig set up to do the job?

zonie77
10-15-06, 11:46 AM
The kit has it all. It only comes with 10 inserts though (1 head). You have to get 10 more inserts. I would think the dealer would be the most expensive place too.

Look at the timesert website. Look at the head gasket repair thread and look at the link to the writeup on timeserting.

There is also a similar product on ebay. The inserts look a little longer. I havn't seen anyone use them though. I would think it would work as well as timeserts but I have not used this kit.

eBay - Northstar inserts, Parts Accessories - buy and sell on eBay Motors (http://motors.search.ebay.com/Northstar-inserts_W0QQfromZR40)

richbanta
10-15-06, 05:28 PM
The amount for this set of different inserts is $399! Is this the usual amount for the kit even if its timeserts? Seems high for a tap, drill, jig and some inserts.

zonie77
10-15-06, 05:30 PM
Price the timeserts new.

zonie77
10-15-06, 05:37 PM
The amount for this set of different inserts is $399! Is this the usual amount for the kit even if its timeserts? Seems high for a tap, drill, jig and some inserts.

His buy it now is $339 and I suspect his pricing is based on timesert's pricing.

richbanta
10-16-06, 07:08 AM
Does anyone have the timesert kit used minus the inserts themselves? Trying to save a klittle money here. Maybe someplace rents the tooling and I can buy the inserts themselves?

brown1904
10-16-06, 09:54 AM
I am right in the middle of doing a head gasket repair using the kit from ebay. We paid 349.00 for the kit and he shipped it for free. In my opinion this is the best kit for the N* repair. It is very time consuming to do in my case, because we are doing it in the car, but the kit works great!!! Whichever route you take be very careful and take your time repairing those holes. Good Luck!!! By the way if you would be interested I could rent you my kit and save you some money. Let me know if you are. My email address is brown1904@bellsouth.net

Ranger
10-16-06, 05:12 PM
I am right in the middle of doing a head gasket repair using the kit from ebay. We paid 349.00 for the kit and he shipped it for free. In my opinion this is the best kit for the N* repair. It is very time consuming to do in my case, because we are doing it in the car, but the kit works great!!! Whichever route you take be very careful and take your time repairing those holes. Good Luck!!! By the way if you would be interested I could rent you my kit and save you some money. Let me know if you are. My email address is brown1904@bellsouth.net
An after battle report (with pics if possible) would be great especially since you are doing it in the car.

mountain14er
10-16-06, 06:41 PM
I bought 20 timeserts directly from timesert.com for $60. If you can find a kit to use (even if you buy it, use it, and sell it) you'll be in good shape.

jss
10-16-06, 07:29 PM
Rich,

As far as additional things to do to her while you've got her out;

I had the dealer do my head gasket when the car was 8 years old with 90k miles. He said that when they do one, they automatically replace something called the "oil manifold gasket". He said that there were problems with it on my particular year model (94). I also asked him to replace all crankshaft and camshaft seals, valve seals, and the front seal in the transmission.

Don't know how necessary all of that was; but on other engines those are traditionally high mortality parts - that I hopefully will never have to worry about again.

Good luck, Jeff

Tricky
10-17-06, 01:33 PM
Hi Richbanta,
I'm just doing mine and believe me at that price its cheap!!
You can buy the whole kit for the Northstar engine from Timesert but they would prefer you bought it from the retailer Wurth.
Wurth wanted to charge me 800 in the UK!!!!!!
It is a nice piece of kit and makes the whole job relatively easy.

richbanta
10-21-06, 10:58 AM
I am just wondering. I am sure that the timesert kit uses special size drills and taps? There is a guy on ebay who sells the kit, but if you want to do additional hg jobs, the inserts cost $8.75! I wonder if that kit uses standard size taps for his inserts? I mean, it seems to me that while it may be a little cheaper to use the ebay guys set, if you do more than one job, the timeserts are cheaper. If the ebay guy uses standard size taps, hell, I's just purchase the inserts and get my own taps.

Edahall
10-24-06, 05:25 PM
richbanta,
It doesn't look like they're standard size taps. I checked http://www.mcmaster.com/ and could not find the right tap. His taps use 11 pitch size.

richbanta
11-01-06, 07:53 AM
richbanta,
It doesn't look like they're standard size taps. I checked http://www.mcmaster.com/ and could not find the right tap. His taps use 11 pitch size.
The ebay guy uses inserts with outside threads of 5/8-11, with a standard tap size drill of 17/32. You can buy the drill and taps anywhere. What I am not certain of is the timeserts inserts. Anyone know the outside thread dimensions of the timeserts?

Edahall
11-01-06, 03:51 PM
The outside thread dimensions of the Ebay threaded inserts are:
length - 1.75"
External Thread - 5/8"-11
Internal Thread - M11 x 1.5

Is this the information you're looking for? I haven't been able to find a source of threaded inserts that are this long. Another possibility might be to use shorter inserts and stack them up. Let me know what you find.

richbanta
11-04-06, 05:59 AM
I was looking for the timesert dimensions.

Tricky
11-05-06, 01:36 PM
Why do you want the timesert dimensions??
You only get one go at doing this right.
If you get the timesert drill it is stepped with 2 dimensions , one for the thread and one for above the thread. Ive shown the tap alone to an Engineer friend and he claims the tap is very high quality and is worth around £80 if you can get them and believe me the drill is better quality. The drill,tap and inserts are all matched.
If you want help with the dimensions Im just about finishing my 2nd head and am on the last 5Timeserts. Just ask me again which dimensions you want!