: Troops battle 10-foot Afghan marijuana plants !

CIWS
10-13-06, 09:06 AM
Canada troops battle 10-foot Afghan marijuana plants

Canada troops battle 10-foot Afghan marijuana plants - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/10/12/canada.troops.marijuana.reut/index.html)

OTTAWA, Canada (Reuters) -- Canadian troops fighting Taliban militants in Afghanistan have stumbled across an unexpected and potent enemy -- almost impenetrable forests of marijuana plants 10 feet tall.
General Rick Hillier, chief of the Canadian defense staff, said Thursday that Taliban fighters were using the forests as cover. In response, the crew of at least one armored car had camouflaged their vehicle with marijuana.
"The challenge is that marijuana plants absorb energy, heat very readily. It's very difficult to penetrate with thermal devices. ... And as a result you really have to be careful that the Taliban don't dodge in and out of those marijuana forests," he said in a speech in Ottawa, Canada.

"We tried burning them with white phosphorous -- it didn't work. We tried burning them with diesel -- it didn't work. The plants are so full of water right now ... that we simply couldn't burn them," he said.

Even successful incineration had its drawbacks.
"A couple of brown plants on the edges of some of those [forests] did catch on fire. But a section of soldiers that was downwind from that had some ill effects and decided that was probably not the right course of action," Hiller said dryly.
One soldier told him later: "Sir, three years ago before I joined the army, I never thought I'd say 'That damn marijuana'."

(cough) Ill Effects (cough) ;)

Now call me crazy, but if you can't burn it with diesel or Willie Pete then what, you throw your hands up in the air and say "oh well" ? Come on guys, you're the fracking military. Call in some NAPALM, that will set anything on fire and make it burn. Or if you are concerned about the burning and any possible "ill effects" then drop a BLU-82 "Daisy Cutter" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLU-82) on the field, that's what they were designed for, cutting down freaking jungles. Problem solved. :D

Adam
10-13-06, 09:31 AM
WHOA! talk about pot luck! :D

90Brougham350
10-13-06, 09:40 AM
OK, I'm joining the Canadian Army tomorrow! Now if they can just start battling the Taliban in an alcohol factory, I'll be on cloud 9!

TagApl4
10-13-06, 10:54 AM
I see why the Taliban never came out of hiding! :hide:+ :yawn: =:cloud9:

I hate when its too sticky to burn, let the bag sit open for a day and they will be just fine.

urbanski
10-13-06, 11:22 AM
Moab

urbanski
10-13-06, 11:22 AM
damn caps lock filter

Adam
10-13-06, 11:36 AM
There Is A Caps Lock Filter?!?!?!

LittleB
10-13-06, 11:48 AM
That story sounds really weird..... :confused:

ShadowLvr400
10-13-06, 01:15 PM
10 ft weed plants..... I got the munchies just thinking about it.

Elvis
10-13-06, 01:58 PM
That story's probably bullshit.

If the Taliban had that much pot at their disposal, then why in the hell are they so pissed off all the time?

Seriously, wouldn't they be a pretty mellow crowd? They might get really hungry from time to time, but other than that, I can't see them being suicide bombers.

CIWS
10-13-06, 02:07 PM
If they were strict Muslims, they could not smoke it. No use of Alcohol or drugs, and the Taliban are supposed to be fundamentalists and strict followers. But it's no different than the Opium Poppy that's grown in huge numbers there in Afghanistan. They grow it because of the money they can make farming it, not because they are users. Plus the article only says they use it to hide themselves and their equipment in, not that it belongs to them.

However from what I've heard "Afghan Kush" is supposed to be some VERY potent weed / crop. If those soldiers were not used to smoking pot and got "ill effects" from exposure, they may have actually gotten ill from it. Stoned out of their minds more than likely :D

Florian
10-13-06, 03:17 PM
Kush is most excellent....(not that I would know....) There actually is "too much" of a good thing. It will absolutely flatten you.

F

TagApl4
10-13-06, 03:21 PM
I know Muslims that smoke. They argue since it does not harm the body, and it uplifts the mind. Its really only a "drug" in America.

DILLIGAF
10-13-06, 03:42 PM
Lots of Ditch weed here in the heartland,military planted that crap everywhere to make rope out of.I've seen stalks as big around as a baseball,you can't hardly drive thru it.It will gro taller than 10 feet.

CIWS
10-13-06, 04:46 PM
I know Muslims that smoke. They argue since it does not harm the body, and it uplifts the mind. Its really only a "drug" in America.

I know Christians that commit adultry, Jews that eat pork and of course a host of others that do other things, but the point would be if they are fundamental in their beliefs they would be strict followers of those beliefs and should endevor not to engage in harām. Since the Taliban are supposed to be fundamental one would think most would not. However we all know in the real world there are always exceptions and those who interpret things in their own way. :)

However I'm can easily be persuaded to urbi's take on it and use a M.O.A.B. on the fields vs a Daisy Cutter :D

Msilva954
10-13-06, 08:55 PM
I know a way they could easily burn it...but it would involve alot of pipes and swisha sweets.

CIWS
10-13-06, 09:55 PM
I know a way they could easily burn it...but it would involve alot of pipes and swisha sweets.

Haha, that's a rather Blunt answer ;)

gary88
10-13-06, 09:56 PM
Why use an M.O.A.B when there's always the Tsar Bomba? :stirpot:

http://lufkindailymuse.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/tsar_bomba.jpg

CIWS
10-13-06, 11:16 PM

:D That would take out the pot field and wipe the entire Province off the map.

illumina
10-14-06, 12:38 AM

http://lufkindailymuse.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/tsar_bomba.jpg

Dunno, smoke some pot and smoke some radical Islamists (can't think of anything better to use here). Fallout would get everyone high!

TomDeville
10-14-06, 01:11 AM
Roses are Red; and, chronic
Canuck troops are true;

When killing Taliban; ill
effects are quite few.

:cool2:

dp102288
10-14-06, 08:31 AM
Ok ok. I will go. Just give me a bunch of paper. A good lighter would help too. :D

VoodooChild420
01-16-07, 04:33 PM
ya, haha, ill go help out the canadians, give me a bong, a good lighter, and a shit load of doritos....

nyyankeehater
01-16-07, 04:41 PM
Call Jack Bauer! He can get it done! He can do anything!

dkozloski
01-16-07, 05:19 PM
Call Jack Bauer! He can get it done! He can do anything!
Time to redeploy the Agent Orange.

OffThaHorseCEO
01-16-07, 07:37 PM
chuck norris shits out jack bauers

Stoneage_Caddy
01-16-07, 11:07 PM
my buddy sent me pics of where he is in iraq next to these huge pot plants he and the fire dept had to get rid of .....it was a crazy ammount of it too ......

yourgmsolutions
01-16-07, 11:40 PM
http://www.cdi.org/russia/271-9.cfm

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/gm-geek/_1942211_poppies_reused300.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/gm-geek/afghan-poppies.jpg

CIWS
01-17-07, 05:42 AM
Time to redeploy the Agent Orange.

It would do the job, it's just the after effects that suck. That's why I had originally suggested using large high explosives to blow them down :D