: How many valve cover gaskets needed for 2000 Cat?

FM-IN-MI
10-12-06, 08:34 PM
We were planning on replacing the (badly leaking) valve cover gaskets on my son's 2000 Catera next weekend and went to order them today from RockAuto. They see to have the best price -- FEL-PRO, which we heard were very good(?) for $39 a set. We ordered one set, part number MS96103 (as well as the intake manifold gasket set) but when I looked at some pictures of people who did this job, it looks like EACH SIDE needs two gaskets.

Does anyone know if I need to purchase 2 sets of valve cover gasket sets?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Frank-in-Michigan

zealious
10-13-06, 02:14 AM
I would Imagine that if its a set it means more than one and would cover the whole job. You might also want to buy some black sealant to go witht the gaskets, just to give it that EXTRA strength. Anyway good luck and let us know how it goes.

FM-IN-MI
10-13-06, 10:27 AM
I would Imagine that if its a set it means more than one and would cover the whole job. You might also want to buy some black sealant to go witht the gaskets, just to give it that EXTRA strength. Anyway good luck and let us know how it goes.

Yes, that is what I would have thought but wasn't 100% sure and didn't want to take the beast apart only to find out that I needed 2 sets. Someone else also said the same, so I am all set.

And thanks for the suggestion of using a sealant as well. I am going to check with FEL PRO on this to make sure I get a 'compatible' one -- I don't want it to attack the gasket. What did you use?

Frank in Michigan

Warez
10-13-06, 04:28 PM
I just did the job this weekend.

You need 2 gaskets per side.

And don't forget the O-rings for the bolts, 16 in totol.

FM-IN-MI
10-13-06, 09:30 PM
I just did the job this weekend.

You need 2 gaskets per side.

And don't forget the O-rings for the bolts, 16 in totol.

I contacted FEL-PRO and they confirmed that their gasket set does indeed come with 4 gaskets and 16 O rings.

If I may ask:
1) What year do you have?
2) How long did it take?
3) How did you remove the coil bank? Did you need a special tool? I do not want to wreck it but I know it needs to be removed and we would also like to replace the spark plugs so I could use some guidance here...
4) Anything to be careful or watch out for?

Thanks

Frank in Michigan

Warez
10-14-06, 06:22 AM
I contacted FEL-PRO and they confirmed that their gasket set does indeed come with 4 gaskets and 16 O rings.

How much does the FEL-PRO kit cost anyways?

1) 2000

2) ~3 hours

3) No special tools required to remove the coil packs, just remove the 2 torx screws and pull it off by hand.

4) You may find this helpful:

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63628 (http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63628)

One thing I would say is do not disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel rail/intake runner assembly. It was not necessary at all. Simply disconnect the fuel injector wiring harness located directly behind the fuel rail assembly and place the whole assembly on top on the coolant reservoir.

Also reconnecting those 3 little clamps on the hoses which exit the rear of the plenum was a huge PITA!

BTW be sure not to mix up the transmission breather tube with any of the 4 rear plenum hoses as the breather tube is zip tied to some of those very same hoses.

FM-IN-MI
10-14-06, 10:12 AM
How much does the FEL-PRO kit cost anyways?

We purchased the gaskets through RockAuto for $38 and change, plus $6 shipping. The local Advance Auto had the same FED-PRO gasket set for $63 plus tax. We also ordered the intake manafold gasket kit just in case ($32). They can be sent back for a full refund if not used.

Very good on not needing a tool to remove the coil pack. We read somewhere you needed a $90 tool. Was yours on tight? I assume you pull it straight up? Can you 'rock in' up/down side-to-side slightly? Or can you use a screw driver with a bent tip to VERY SLIGHTLY pry it up? Once you pull it off, I assume you see the plugs (the coil back sits right on top of the plugs, right)?

As mentioned, we are planning to change the plugs but no one knew what the AC Delco part number was! Did you change yours? If yes, what did you use? AutoZone, Action Auto and NAPA had every other brand listed EXCEPT Delco. We thought we would wait until we got the valve covers off, pull a plug and read the number, then hope a local store had them. We are also going to purchase 6 of the Bosch +2 Platnium plugs as a backup plan just in case we cannot find a duplicate of what is in the car...

Thanks for all the info. It was very helpful.

Frank in Michigan

Warez
10-14-06, 03:16 PM
[

Very good on not needing a tool to remove the coil pack. We read somewhere you needed a $90 tool. Was yours on tight? I assume you pull it straight up? Can you 'rock in' up/down side-to-side slightly? Or can you use a screw driver with a bent tip to VERY SLIGHTLY pry it up? Once you pull it off, I assume you see the plugs (the coil back sits right on top of the plugs, right)?

As I said the coil pack is held in by only two long bolts which are threaded into the cylinder head. The holes through which those bolts go through in the actual coil pack also have a larger thread but do not fit the retention bolts. Iím assuming those coil pack threads are intended to have two long screws inserted into them on which you can pull to provide even easier extraction of the coil pack. This was not necessary however for me. I simply lifted one end slightly by the wiring harness socket located at the end of the pack and lightly began wiggling it until it came off.

As mentioned, we are planning to change the plugs but no one knew what the AC Delco part number was! Did you change yours? If yes, what did you use? AutoZone, Action Auto and NAPA had every other brand listed EXCEPT Delco. We thought we would wait until we got the valve covers off, pull a plug and read the number, then hope a local store had them. We are also going to purchase 6 of the Bosch +2 Platnium plugs as a backup plan just in case we cannot find a duplicate of what is in the car...

The factory plugs are Bosch +3 meaning they have 3 electrodes instead of the usual one. I would just go with Bosch +4 since Iíve never seen any store carry the +3 and are likely expensive from the dealer.

zealious
10-15-06, 07:59 PM
Make sure you clean out your breathers as this is usualy the cause of the gasket failure.

Warez
10-15-06, 11:22 PM
Which ones are you referring to?

FM-IN-MI
10-27-06, 11:17 AM
Make sure you clean out your breathers as this is usualy the cause of the gasket failure.

What breathers are you talking about? I assume the concern is to make sure you do not have positive pressure which can 'blow out' the gaskets. In older engines I remember pressure was controlled via the PCV valve. Are you saying the 3.0L has something similar?

Thanks

Frank

GailyBedight
10-27-06, 11:42 AM
Not familiar with the Catera, but in the old days, we would apply the sealant/adhesive to the gasket/valve cover side only. This way if you ever removed the valve cover again, it would stick to the cover and not the head.
Just my 2 cents.