: Best deal EVER for new SRX owner

svteet
10-12-06, 01:02 PM
Well, I was in the market for a CTS-V about 3 months ago but recently found out me and the wife are going to be having our first child...SO...I looked for a SRX because it seemed like a fun car to drive and seemed more practical for our future. And then I found it, only catch was it was a dealer buy back...2004 V8 AWD w/ all options except rear dvd, ONLY 13500 miles, black raven.........$21395 out the door!!!(full warrenty valid up to 50,000 miles or March,2008.) This is going to make some off you long time owners puke Im sure. But wow, this is the best deal I've ever got on anything! Has anyone out there heard of a better deal or is this as good as I think it is? Bye the way, Ive had the car for three days now and its great. Love it!

sgilbert
10-12-06, 01:16 PM
Yes, I'm puking! Yes, it's a hell of a deal! Next time I buy a car, I'm calling YOU!

Brett
10-12-06, 01:31 PM
what was the buyback problem?

louisn
10-12-06, 03:29 PM
You'll love her . The Northstar 4wheel drive is great. The technology is amazing. You may want to check on the gm website or with dealer to see if the necessary recalls were done. I think there were 4 or so. With only 13000 miles, it's like new. CONGRATS!!!

urbanski
10-12-06, 03:59 PM
but its a buyback = lemon

donjumpsuit
10-12-06, 04:35 PM
I can tell you what, mine is almost going to be a buyback, I am sure they will be serving up my problems for less than 25K, to a willing recipient (read: somewhere in the contract the term "buyback" means the car may have problems they will attempt to fix, but don't guarantee it?)

I looked up Marylands law which states:

The second scenario is when your new passenger car, light truck or motorcycle has repeated or serious mechanical problems. Maryland’s “lemon law”, CL §14-1501 through 14-1503 (http://mlis.state.md.us/cgi-win/web_statutes.exe?gcl&14-1501), identifies three situations when the manufacturer must replace or repurchase the vehicle:

The same problem has been repaired 4 or more times during the vehicle’s warranty period (15 months or 15,000 miles); or,
The vehicle could not be used for 30 days or more during its warranty period (15 months or 15,000 miles) because of a problem; or,
A problem with the braking or steering system has been repaired at least once during the warranty period (15 months or 15,000 miles) but the vehicle still does not meet Maryland’s safety inspection laws.Note that the vehicle must be new to be returned as a lemon. A description of your rights under Maryland’s lemon law (http://www.oag.state.md.us/consumer/lemon.htm) can be found on the website sponsored by the Maryland Attorney General Consumer Protection Division.

That means that its a lemon, and now because you bought it used, you cannot consider it a lemon. Oh well, its super cheap.

c5 rv
10-12-06, 07:16 PM
If it was a dealer buyback, I would only consider it with a CPO 6/100 warranty. Even then, probably not after reading the horror stories that people go through to get GM to buy back a vehicle. I'd worry that I just spent $21K to spend most of my time driving a dopey loaner or driving my SRX to / from the dealer for service.

svteet
10-12-06, 08:18 PM
It was classed as a "front electrical brake problom" I looked over the entire past service record and yes, it had been brought into service many times by the first owner but it was all sorts of crazy complaints. I think in this case it had more then one occurence of a brake problom and the owner just kept pushing to return it and the finaly did.Actually, I think this guys wife was just pushing for a Diamond white one and the finally got it. I'll tell you what thou, Ive drove the car for about 400 miles now and there isn't one rattle, vibration or anything. My last car was a new IS300 and this car is driving just as good in everyway. I't feels like a brand new 2006 SRX I drove last week that had a sticker of $48,300. I guess I should have kept mydeal to myself ...didn't realize I would get all this "hater" replys.

sgilbert
10-12-06, 09:56 PM
Don't mind them, they're just as bummed out as I was over your fortunate "find". If you've got a good dealer, you're good to go!

Stick around, and keep us informed if anything does go whakko.

Happy motoring!

robhersch
10-12-06, 10:48 PM
Don't mind them, they're just as bummed out as I was over your fortunate "find". If you've got a good dealer, you're good to go! Stick around, and keep us informed if anything does go whakko.
Happy motoring!

I assume that you bought from a Cad dealer, and I concur that it appears that you got one h**l of a deal !! Sounds like you got the whole enchalada for the price of just the engine and trans !!

Perhaps GM did the buy-back because: 1) SRX was new in 04 and GM wanted to treat original buyer well for the PR, or 2) the dealer got fed up with a disgruntled owner perpetual bit**ing.

Suggest that you get copies of all prior service (for your file) to ensure no real safety issues with the car, have regular service with a good Cad dealer, and stay close for at least a year !! Keep us posted on progress.

I'm jealous - only because I had to pay $51k for my 05 SRX RWD N*V8 - and I believe mine was worth every penny.

Wish you the best!!

donjumpsuit
10-12-06, 11:05 PM
Well I apologize.
This actually just got me to look up the California Lemon Law. My SRX (which I love to death btw) is in the shop for the second time for something they described as a "Phantom Problem"

The car sporatically looses power, stored 8 different engine codes the first time, and 4 the second time. They just cleared the codes to try to collect more information. Everyone in lansing and at GM knows about my car at this point. They cannot replicate or figure out what my car is doing. They are installing a black box to determine everything the car does more data logging than the comptuer itself. This time they "cleaned all terminal connections" and gave it back. When it happens again, I assume they will try to reflash it, and attempt to replace a part that doesn't need replacing.

They have had my car since Sept. 11th for this problem and to reharness my dashboard electical connections because of a theft of my nav system. The harness was on backorder, then they shipped it to the wrong place, finally got it today and it will take them 5 days to do the service. All the while with the all four rotors and pads needing replacement (not warranty, took a week for those parts), the car has been in the shop a total of two months out of the total 20 I have owned it.

I love my car, I just wish it:

A. Didn't loose 2/3rd of its value in 20 months.
B. Didn't burn through mechanical parts like a hot knive through butter.
C. Didn't require new rotors every 20k miles.
D. Got more than 13 MPG at any point in its life.
E. Didn't have a creaky ultra-view sunroof.
F. Didn't have shitty stock rims and plastic wood grain stickers.
G. Let you use the nav when you were moving.
H. Got a GD loaner car everytime it was in for service (currently no).
I. Ran like a 60k car, even though it has depreciated to a honda civic status.

BarryH_GEG
10-13-06, 01:32 AM
You also realize the title will be scarlet lettered as a "buy back." No big deal if you intend to keep it until the wheels fall off but you'll be lucky to find someone to sell it to if you ever intend to get rid of it.

louisn
10-13-06, 07:44 AM
Well I apologize.
This actually just got me to look up the California Lemon Law. My SRX (which I love to death btw) is in the shop for the second time for something they described as a "Phantom Problem"

The car sporatically looses power, stored 8 different engine codes the first time, and 4 the second time. They just cleared the codes to try to collect more information. Everyone in lansing and at GM knows about my car at this point. They cannot replicate or figure out what my car is doing. They are installing a black box to determine everything the car does more data logging than the comptuer itself. This time they "cleaned all terminal connections" and gave it back. When it happens again, I assume they will try to reflash it, and attempt to replace a part that doesn't need replacing.

They have had my car since Sept. 11th for this problem and to reharness my dashboard electical connections because of a theft of my nav system. The harness was on backorder, then they shipped it to the wrong place, finally got it today and it will take them 5 days to do the service. All the while with the all four rotors and pads needing replacement (not warranty, took a week for those parts), the car has been in the shop a total of two months out of the total 20 I have owned it.

I love my car, I just wish it:

A. Didn't loose 2/3rd of its value in 20 months.
B. Didn't burn through mechanical parts like a hot knive through butter.
C. Didn't require new rotors every 20k miles.
D. Got more than 13 MPG at any point in its life.
E. Didn't have a creaky ultra-view sunroof.
F. Didn't have shitty stock rims and plastic wood grain stickers.
G. Let you use the nav when you were moving.
H. Got a GD loaner car everytime it was in for service (currently no).
I. Ran like a 60k car, even though it has depreciated to a honda civic status.
I have only had 2 problems. A failed window motor--fixed under warrantyand squeaky brakes which I fixed myself. I get 20 mpg on the road and 13 intown. My interior looks great, love my wheels, don't have navigation, always get a loaner, will not trade for several more years so resale isn't a factor, Northstar runs like a bat out of hell. BTW, the rest of the performance SUV's have about as much room behind the backseat as a civic.:tisk:

TSS
10-13-06, 08:37 AM
The original poster's vehicle could be obtained where I am (not a buy-back) for about $24-25K (2004 AWD/V-8/Ultraview/NAV/3rd Row/Magnetic Ride Control) with 20-25,000 miles. So the differential in price, due to the buyback, is purely a judgment call. I hope it works out for you. Personally, I would have paid the extra 3 grand or so to avoid the buyback potential problems and title issues. But, again, I hope you prove me wrong and start a college account for your new child with the money saved!

Keep us posted.

mjk
10-13-06, 12:17 PM
WOW! That is a good deal. A little scary with the whole 'buy back' thing but still a lot of savings.

When I got my 04 wht dimnd AWD V6 with 17k miles on ebay for 26k I thought I robbed the guy. Was a little scary too, but no issues (knock on wood) and still love it at 28k miles.

wish you luck and a lot of good trips :)

c5 rv
10-13-06, 08:14 PM
Nah, no hater posts. It's just that term "buyback" that triggers strong feelings. I hope you car give you many trouble-free miles.

I've bought a number cars that from their repair history, first year status, or Consumer Report's rating, should have been true lemons. But, knock on wood, I've been very fortunate.

dbknight
10-14-06, 01:24 AM
It was classed as a "front electrical brake problom" I looked over the entire past service record and yes, it had been brought into service many times by the first owner but it was all sorts of crazy complaints. I think in this case it had more then one occurence of a brake problom and the owner just kept pushing to return it and the finaly did.Actually, I think this guys wife was just pushing for a Diamond white one and the finally got it. I'll tell you what thou, Ive drove the car for about 400 miles now and there isn't one rattle, vibration or anything. My last car was a new IS300 and this car is driving just as good in everyway. I't feels like a brand new 2006 SRX I drove last week that had a sticker of $48,300. I guess I should have kept mydeal to myself ...didn't realize I would get all this "hater" replys.

Hey man - Congrats!!

I swapped out of a CTS so I could haul around my dog!

urbanski
10-14-06, 06:49 AM
haters? show me "hate" please.
i see opinions posted.

BarryH_GEG
10-14-06, 01:08 PM
Nah, no hater posts. It's just that term "buyback" that triggers strong feelings.

Huh? "Buy-back" is more than just a "feeling", it's a label that's permanently associated with the car via it's title that greatly reduces it's value. It's no different than a car with a salvage title. While the price the OP paid is excellent, it wasn't without strings. I think that's what everyone is reacting to.

tekcomp
10-15-06, 07:14 PM
I thought I got a deal but yours tops it. I bought a 2004 SRX for $26k with 8k miles. Awesom car, wish you the best with your car.