: 1996 Deville 4.6L Water Pump Replacement

10-10-06, 05:45 PM
my car is leaking coolant from the driver's side of the engine. i believe it is the water pump leaking. in my repair manual...it says there is a special tool required to remove the water pump from the coolant crossover housing.

where can one of these tools be aquired? or can you remove the pump with another tool? it doesn't look all that difficult other than getting the special tool. thanks in advance for the info.

10-10-06, 06:03 PM
You definately need the special tool. You can get a cheap stamped steel one from Lysle for about $20. Some have said that they slip. A good machined one from Snap-On or KentMoore will run $80+. I think Automotive Tool Store - Air Tools, Hand Tools, Power Tools, Vehicle Service Tools, & Shop Equipment (http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net) has them. This is what you are looking for (my home made version) Grandolfo (http://www.geocities.com/grandolfo)

10-10-06, 06:21 PM
thanks. i like it that you have a webpage only with pictures of that tool. i think autozone will loan you the tool if you buy the water pump from them. thanks for the help!

10-10-06, 06:48 PM
Before you change the pump, inspect the cover closely. The gaskets have been known to leak and have been redesigned. The gasket is only about $10 - $15 from the dealer.

10-10-06, 11:24 PM
Web help is only $20.00 and a few mouse clicks. Stubled on this just now, E-bay :)

eBay Motors: How to replace the water pump on a 96 Deville northstar (item 270037788717 end time Oct-18-06 21:07:05 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/How-to-replace-the-water-pump-on-a-96-Deville-northstar_W0QQitemZ270037788717QQihZ017QQcategoryZ 33604QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)