: Don't know what to do next??

txcaddycat
10-10-06, 12:46 PM
Hi, I bought my catera about 4 months ago. A little while after buying it I noticed oil in the coolant. I tried to reseal it without changing the actual oil cooler. Well about a day later I noticed oil was back in the coolant. Shortly after this I noticed my AC went out. I took it to the shop and they said that there was no freon in my system although they couldn't find a leak anywhere. After buying a new oil cooler and installing it. I took about a 100 mile trip. On the trip my catera started to overheat. I pulled over and noticed smoke coming from under the hood and coolant leaking. When I popped the hood I saw that the fluid was actually leaking out the top of the coolant resevoir. It was shooting out like it was under too much pressure. Well I refilled the resevoir and replaced the cap extra tight. About 10 miles later the engine started to overheat again, same leak, same place. I refilled the coolant again and finally made it home. After letting it set for a while I drove it and there was no leak. Now I'm noticing a rubber burning smell and the other day after a long drive I saw smoke coming from under the passenger-side of the car. The burnt rubber smell comes and goes but the car hasn't overheated in a while, although it seems like its running hotter.

I love this car, and when its running good I wouldn't trade it for the anything. So I guess I'm just asking for any suggestions or advice on my problem.

guardian
10-10-06, 05:16 PM
. . . . . I love this car, and when its running good I wouldn't trade it for the anything. So I guess I'm just asking for any suggestions or advice on my problem.

My opinion is you have problems with your Catera and these quite easily could be serious problems. Since you appear not to be inclined to work on the car yourself, I strongly urge you to take the car in for service as soon as you are able. Try to find a Caddy dealer who routinely works on Cateras and knows the car. Not all Caddy dealers are good with Cateras.

If it were my car I would NOT continue to drive it. Real damage can be done to the car, and sadly might already have been done to the car, by continuing to use it in the face of the problems you are reporting. Overheating, for example, is especially serious with Cateras and can damage the engine readily. The other things you are experiencing are also serious.

Good luck and I hope this works out OK for you.