: Brake Fluid Flush

fristim
02-24-04, 05:31 PM
I'm a big believer in routine maintianence. I own a 98 Deville Concours with 116,000 on it, I've noticed that the brake fluid is rather dark and discolored. So I was wondering what the dealer would charge to flush the brake fluid. They told me not to worry about it, and that its not part of routine maintianence. Now I'm very aware of the complicated ABS, TCS, and Stability systems that use the brake fluid to accomplish whatever it is it's trying to do. So my question is, is this break fluid a fill for life or do you guys recommend flushing it? If so how do I go about it!! Thanks in advance!

JimD
02-24-04, 06:31 PM
I try to replace brake fluid on a three year cycle because of the color and more importantly because DOT 3 fluid will absorb a little moisture over time. And the moisture can and will a source of corrosion in the caliper pistons eventually. Not to forget that the "O" in H2O can be compressed.

Buy a 32 oz. container of fresh fluid.

Hit the brake pedal 6 or so times and you will feel any residual boost or ABS/Traction Control pressure bleed off (key OFF).

Suck as much fluid as possible out of the master cylinder with a turkey baster or tool of your choice. Fill master cylinder with fresh fluid.

I like to start at the wheel farthest from the master cylinder and bleed away until you see clean fresh fluid. A MITYVAC makes it a one man job and also allows me to avoid teaching my bride how and when to do what with the brake pedal (again!).

Opening the bleed valve(s) and allowing gravity to push fresh fluid will work if you have the time to wait.

When the job is complete and the master cylinder filled, I mark the fluid level with a waterproof magic marker. Makes a quick and dirty reference to judge pad wear.

Good luck......

Caution; this might make you feel good enough to do the same to the power steering fluid and then trans. fluid and on and on.

maydog
02-24-04, 06:35 PM
The brake fluid flush is probably a good thing to do after 100K miles. The fluid absorbs water, rust and other contaminants that can jam a caliper and reduce the boiling point of the fluid. Bad fluid could case a dangerous fade at the wrong time.

I flushed my Aurora and STS this summer. Its pretty easy just jack up a tire, remove it place a tube on the valve and open it. Fill up the resivor with the good stuff and pump the living daylights out of the brake (with the engine off) keep filling the resivor as its level falls. Watch the fluid in the tube, when it looks clear and no bubbles are present close the valve. Start with the tire farthest from the resivor and work your way closer.

If you do decide to to it yourself be careful with those brass valves. I sheared my wife's clean off on the front driver side tire. I guess the dissimilar metals fused or something.

elwesso
02-24-04, 07:16 PM
I am getting ready to the same thing...

LEt me tell you the EASIEST way to do this is to use a vacuum bleeder.. Harbor freight has them for $15... might be crap, but if lasts through one job its worth it..

All you do is hook it up to the caliper bleeder valve, and pump... It sucks it into a little resovour and you keep topping off the master cylinder..... Less than an hour to do it all.....