: felpro headgaskets

smooththg6969
10-09-06, 04:49 PM
has any one used the felpro gaskets in a hg repiar? a fried told me that theysupply gm with gaskets . i just want to know would there be any major downfalls with using this brand thanks.

haymaker
10-09-06, 06:52 PM
They work just fine on the N*. I have used FelPro or GM gaskets on many different engines and have yet to have a recurring gasket problem. If both are available in the parts store at the same price I may lean toward the GM gaskets. Just make sure the head and block surfaces are flat and clean. Time-sert the block and follow the head bolt tensioning procedure in the FSM using new head bolts. I suppose some on this forum will say GM gaskets and GM gaskets only but the FelPros are holding up just fine on my N*. One thing I know is that the head gaskets that failed on my N* were GM head gaskets. I am not saying that the GM gaskets were cause of the problem but they did fail. Only time will tell if the FelPro head gaskets are better worse or equal.
Good luck.

smooththg6969
10-09-06, 07:10 PM
im leaning towards the fel pro beacuse that will allow me to get all of my parts from one supplier insted of getting parts from different sources. im just hoping their equal quality or better.

jholland
10-09-06, 07:23 PM
his is a stupid question but what is "FSM"

AlBundy
10-09-06, 07:56 PM
his is a stupid question but what is "FSM"

FSM=Factory Service Manual.:D

Ranger
10-09-06, 08:02 PM
im leaning towards the fel pro beacuse that will allow me to get all of my parts from one supplier insted of getting parts from different sources. im just hoping their equal quality or better.
Do the Felpro gaskets come with new head bolts? I believe that the GM gaskets do. Be sure to change them. The old ones are not reusable.

haymaker
10-09-06, 10:00 PM
FelPro has a part number for the head bolts also (which I used along with the FelPro head gaskets).

smooththg6969
10-10-06, 04:49 PM
im getting the felpro bolts also may total for every thing not including the timesert kit is 247.00 234.95 with discount heres what i have

Crankshaft Oil Seal 13.07
ac delco water pump 35.89
felpro intake gasket 39.89
felpro rear main seal 17.32
felpro cam cover gasket 10.20
2 head bolt sets felpro 27.79 ea
2 felpro head gaskets 18.79 each
1 fuel pressure regulator 37.79

is there any thing else that i would need ? I just want to have every thing on hand because we have to do this quick like 1-3 days

haymaker
10-11-06, 11:46 AM
You may want to check the cam cover gaskets because at $10.20 they are probably just the main or perimeter gaskets rather than the set that includes the bolt and sparkplug area gaskets. Many of the old gaskets may be reused but if in doubt on any replace them while the engine is our. That being said, you may need the front timing cover and water crossover gaskets. Replace all the heater and water crossover hoses. Carefully check the metal coolant lines that are installed along the rear side of the engine for leaks from rust through. The fuel-rail was replaced on my N* so I had new injectors o-rings but if your N* wasn’t subject to that recall the engine may have the original injector o-rings and if you remove the injectors for any reason you may need to replace those o-rings (top and bottom). I don’t know if you already have the correct puller for the water pump drive pulley at the end of the camshaft but if not the power steering pulley puller works fine. Torque angle gauge for the head bolts. GM cooling system tablets or Bars powdered stop leak in the tube goldenseal I think (don’t recall the number).