: Whining Power Steering Pump

Elmer Fudd
10-08-06, 09:39 PM
Not real loud, but definately too load, goes away after it gets real warm. Fluid is dark and smelly. Should I chnage fluid, or will that mater??

Does this mean impending PS failure? And what will that failure entail??

eldorado1
10-08-06, 10:01 PM
Dark fluid probably means it's destroying itself.

Changing the fluid might help the whine, but if it's got an internal problem it won't do any good in the long run.

Elmer Fudd
10-08-06, 10:25 PM
what is the likely failure mode?? What I mean is it likely that it will suddenly lock up and tear up the belt, etc.??:crybaby:

eldorado1
10-08-06, 10:36 PM
Maybe... I've never actually had one seize.....

dkozloski
10-08-06, 10:52 PM
The last one I saw with dark fluid, some idiot had put used cankcase drainings in it and it destroyed the steering as well as the pump. I would take the return line loose and run good fluid through the system it until it came out clean. It couldn't hurt.

Elmer Fudd
10-09-06, 08:24 AM
Well Dkoz, I hope that is not the case. The car was serviced 100% at the local Caddy Dealer before I got it, plus it feels like power steering fluid. I shiphoned out the reseivor and put fresh fluid in, ran it a few, and repeated 5 times untill the fluid came out light brown. This AM is was whining so much when I opened the door to the house my wife said "What is that noise?"

Calling the Caddy Garage this AM to see how big a morgage I need to take out......hehe.

Hopefully it wont be too bad. At least it is right there on top and easy to get at. :halo:

MUGSANDLUKE
10-09-06, 11:21 AM
Usually if the fluid deteriorates it is caused by an internal proiblem since it is a closed system. I agree that a full flush and refill may indicate where the problem is. If after a full flush and refill with clean fluid the fluid goes bad again it's time to look at all components of the system and maybe start by replacing the pump, and then a hard look at the steering gear box. May be costly no matter what you do. Sorry.

I_Finally_Have_A_Cad
10-09-06, 02:36 PM
Was your fluid level good? A lot of times, it makes that noise when it is starving for fluid.

dkozloski
10-09-06, 02:40 PM
The pump must be a liberal democrat. They whine about everything.

Elmer Fudd
10-09-06, 03:10 PM
Was your fluid level good? A lot of times, it makes that noise when it is starving for fluid.

Yes the fluid level is fine.....

Elmer Fudd
10-09-06, 03:12 PM

ROFL.......:rofl:

I_Finally_Have_A_Cad
10-09-06, 03:42 PM

Careful...just because you may be a Republican and enjoy Cadillacs, doesn't mean that everyone who enjoys them are Republican.

dkozloski
10-09-06, 07:23 PM
I'm a registered member of the Independence party here in Alaska. We advocate cecession from the union. Alaska was brought into the union in violation of the UN charter without the option of becoming a commonwealth like Puerto Rico. We're seeking to have that corrected.

I_Finally_Have_A_Cad
10-09-06, 09:43 PM
Well good luck with that.

dkozloski
10-09-06, 10:32 PM
Well good luck with that.

The guy that was leading the party wound up wrapped in a blue tarp in a shallow grave with a couple of bullets in him.

Ranger
10-09-06, 10:43 PM
Yikes :eek: That oughta be enough to make one think twice about joining that party. :gun: :duck:

Elmer Fudd
10-10-06, 11:44 AM
Well according to the mechanic, it is NOT the Power Steering pump at all, but the idler pully below it. Good news I guess.

With all that stuff crammed together that shows the mistake you can make without a stethoscope type do-hicky to listen with......:o

dkozloski
10-10-06, 12:38 PM
Well according to the mechanic, it is NOT the Power Steering pump at all, but the idler pully below it. Good news I guess.

With all that stuff crammed together that shows the mistake you can make without a stethoscope type do-hicky to listen with......:o
On the upside, it has nice clean fluid in it.

Elmer Fudd
10-10-06, 04:01 PM
hehe...true

Elmer Fudd
10-10-06, 08:05 PM
Replace Idler Pulley
Rotate Tires
Pull nail and patch 1 tire.

160$
I think I got away cheap....:D

davesdeville
10-11-06, 10:08 AM
$160... I disagree with your thinking that you got away cheap. :/

eldorado1
10-11-06, 10:32 AM
where cars are concerned... that's cheap.

dp102288
10-11-06, 10:34 AM
My steering is making a low noise. I must have this checked now.

Yeah, I would be glad for that price.

Hoot
06-04-07, 12:18 PM
RESET DIC message.........My Power steering pressure hose was leaking, so I replaced it, now the service steering system message appears on DIC and I can't figure out how to reset it. Any info would be great, Thanks in advance.

MonzaRacer
06-05-07, 11:25 PM
OK for one thing if you hear a whine from a power steering system and you have dirty/smelly fluid get it flushed and either use GM dot 3 ps fluid or a synthetic fluid .
It akes quite a bit of lfuid to flus a system without opening a line.
BUT one thing to remember is that you may have a quart of hydralic fluid in a system open to air (yes cap is vented) and it is constantly in motion and under pressure just like a transmission.
Proper service is one of the things that +will keep your ps system in top shape till the seals get so hard you have major leaks/failure.
Lee

oldsauroraman1
06-08-07, 10:12 PM
Flush the power steering? I thought doing that wasn't good?

1997BlackETC
06-09-07, 02:16 AM
I have sometimes managed to get rid of that noise by a treatment called "Lubeguard" power steering treatment, I believe Napa autoparts still sells it, that stuff works great, it is super slippery. If the pump is too far gone though it wont help. My eldo pump was whining and binding a little when turning the wheel and the Lubeguard got rid of both those problems.