: Why Are There Only Room For 2 Brands Of Everything ??

Sandy
10-08-06, 08:24 PM
Why is there only room for two brands, in 85% of all merchandise? It's like everything is limited to just two major players.

I went to 3 supermarkets today looking to buy Spray-9 cleaner. Every store had "409" and "Fantastic" ~ nobody has "Spray-9" ~ which if you ever tried it, you too would forget about the other 2.
Soda. All have Coke & Pepsi. Son & Wife & I like Royal Crown ( RC ) ... just TRY and find it. Soup? Campbells & Heinz. Domestic Luxutry Cars? Cadillac & Lincoln. Everything is 2. Never a substantial 3rd player. Why ?? ??
Next time you find yourself in a grocery store, check it out. No matter what ya want, there will be just 2 brands. Same thing in Hardware, and software.

CIWS
10-08-06, 08:30 PM
Except maybe Raisin Bran. The store has Post, Kelloggs, Total, and then the store brand, that's 4 :) Of course the one to buy would be the Total :thumbsup:

CVP33
10-08-06, 08:42 PM
Ah, finally something I know a little about. The economics of creating and perputating a brand are enormous. Most brands are created by the SUPER companies, i.e. Procter and Gamble, Kraft, etc. They will pick and choose their battles. Most times they'll develop a market leader (quality) and a secondary brand (price player). Everyone else gets squeezed out due to the Supermarket chain's demands. The Supermarket will demand slotting fees (money paid to carry the products), MDF (market develop funds), and a whole host of allowances and funding that total as much as 20% of the first receiver costs. At the end of the day the players with the most money win.

The model above is how most large chain stores work such as Kroger, Safeway, Food Lion, etc. Regional players play this game to a lesser extent offering extreme variety and more local items. In the south, Duke's Mayo is the category leader, not Hellman's or Miracle Whip. There are other examples, but this is a great one. Duke's doesn't have 1/100th of the funding of Hellman's or Miracle Whip, but if you don't carry Duke's your customers will find it someplace else. And no retailer wants to risk that.

Now if you want to fix this at your local supermarket, start writing letters and complaining. CEO's and COO's hate customer complaints. :thumbsup:

Spyder
10-08-06, 08:58 PM
Royal Crown is GOD soda. FAR far better than Pepsi or Coke, but you're right, it is much more difficult to find. Most places around here do have it, but you have to look to the side of the main display usually...around the corner or up the hall...

CVP33
10-08-06, 09:05 PM
Ta' hell with Royal cola. You need to try Sundrop and Cheerwine.

xxpinballxx
10-08-06, 09:10 PM
CVP has it. There is a whole heck of alot of moving negotiating planning and a slew of other stuff to get products in stores. Being a Grocery buyer for 5 years I learned its not like the ole General store anymore. You wouldn't believe the samples that came through our office that were terrific and sometimes better PP..price point..than the leading brands. And as for hellmans and miracle whip they are almost always loss leaders....just a draw thats all.

xxpinballxx
10-08-06, 09:11 PM
Sundrop is the Bomb! makes mountain Dew and any other citrusy drink taste like dishwater.
My aunt brings me 10 cases everytime she comes up from Tennessee.

illumina
10-08-06, 09:23 PM
Being in the cleaning business, I use Mean-Green a lot, and it's about the best there is. I find that at the dollar store for $2 for a 40oz bottle. Try it...

The point here is, try the dollar stores for your cleaning needs!

xxpinballxx
10-08-06, 09:28 PM
I have that in my garage. I discovered that when my Wife managed the first Big Lots here in Cleveland. I know the off Brand winners...I manage a Save-A-Lot and there are many items better than the high priced name brand stuff.

illumina
10-08-06, 09:33 PM
I have that in my garage. I discovered that when my Wife managed the first Big Lots here in Cleveland. I know the off Brand winners...I manage a Save-A-Lot and there are many items better than the high priced name brand stuff.

Yeah, I normally take $20 and get like 10 bottles of Mean-Green.

dp102288
10-09-06, 08:38 AM
I should look into this "Mean-Green".

davesdeville
10-09-06, 09:07 AM
I never particularly liked RC over Pepsi...

I dunno about the 2 brand thing. There are a heck of a lot of sodas out there (although yes most are from 2 companies, but there are lots of brands.) Domestic luxury isn't exactly a good example to begin with, there were more than 2 in the past, but in this market it would be quite hard to setup a new brand..

TagApl4
10-09-06, 09:48 AM
Does anyone sell Jolt anymore. I have been looking for that since i was 11. Ha half my life now.

Ever go to a Krogger and notice the only milk they sell is Krogger brand.

xxpinballxx
10-09-06, 10:42 AM
I seen jolt in a old 7-11 type store way out in the middle of nowhere a few months back. Wondered my self if its been there since it came out or is still being sold somewhere.

TagApl4
10-09-06, 12:35 PM
i wonder if they still do make Jolt. Never thought of that i might be a lil weary of a can i found, good thinking. I'm under the impression it is illegal in a few states, thats why its hard to find. Stuff was like liquid crack :bighead:!

Spyder
10-09-06, 12:40 PM
eBay: JOLT COLA SODA....BRAND-NEW SEALED CAN ______23.5 FL.OZ (item 290036615442 end time Oct-11-06 21:53:19 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/JOLT-COLA-SODA-BRAND-NEW-SEALED-CAN-23-5-FL-OZ_W0QQitemZ290036615442QQihZ019QQcategoryZ79631QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Spyder
10-09-06, 12:44 PM
JoltFinder : In search of a Buzz (http://www.joltfinder.com)

or you can buy direct from Wetplanet Beverages at...ummmm...

Wet Planet Beverages - Jolt, XTC, DNA, ... (http://www.wetplanet.com)

Spyder
10-09-06, 12:45 PM
That should be worth like, three gold bars worth of points!!!

By the way, the same company that makes Jolt, I just discovered, also makes the ridiculously good Martenelli's Apple Cider, juice and sparkling apple cider virgin champagne thingy that's really good...

Spyder
10-09-06, 12:46 PM
Ha...this is four posts in a row...in like three minutes. I'll stop now.

CadillacGurl
10-09-06, 12:46 PM
I've seen Jolt in Spencers at the mall:halo:

TagApl4
10-09-06, 12:48 PM
ok it is available. look @ all these flavors
Jolt Cola Battery Can
Blue Battery Can
Cherry Bomb Battery Can
Ultra Battery Can
Red Battery Can
Jolt Espresso <---- Jolt isn't strong enough :hmm:

Only thing that sux is i'd have to go to S. carolina The drive home would fly though

TagApl4
10-09-06, 12:50 PM
That should be worth like, three gold bars worth of points!!!

By the way, the same company that makes Jolt, I just discovered, also makes the ridiculously good Martenelli's Apple Cider, juice and sparkling apple cider virgin champagne thingy that's really good...

*You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Tomorrow good sir... everyone else please feel free to thank him for me thuogh!

Spyder
10-09-06, 01:03 PM
Now THIS is one of my favorites. Works booty-fuel-ee on the long drive. I always keep a few in the glove box, just in case.

Black black from Japan is even better though...find it on Ebay. Look for black black or caffeine gum.

Spyder
10-09-06, 01:04 PM
More points for me!

CVP33
10-09-06, 05:59 PM

Small world. We work for the same company! :yup:

CVP33
10-09-06, 06:06 PM
For the record I lived on Jolt in the mid to late 90's.

Sandy
10-09-06, 08:45 PM
Finally found the time to get back, and WHHhhOooo 3 pages of replies?
(Still I never get any "points" from nobody. Crap!

We, in NJ have never heard of Mean Green. It's not here.
Jolt Cola is alive & well. If you need it baaad and can't find it,
(along with all the world's other great colas that puksi & coke
will not allow in the stores, you can find them all here:

Coming Soon... (http://www.sodapopshop.com)

Lot's of interesting info here. Iread them all & thanks !

Sandy

illumina
10-09-06, 10:26 PM
Mean Green isn't a drink or food, it's an all-purpose cleaner. I'm sure it'll be in the dollar store cleaning isle...

Sandy
10-10-06, 04:01 PM
Yes, I knew that from reading the prior posts. :)