: Road Trip - Virginia radar detector advice

frey
10-08-06, 09:20 AM
I'm rolling out Thursday to head towards CT, with a stop off in the Philly area for a couple days.

Planning to hit 81N in Roanoke all the way to Carlisle PA. I'm psyched about the route, but anxious about how much time I'll be spending in VA.

I know detectors are illegal in VA, but was wondering if anyone has a recent experience? Have you run with one in VA? Can you just turn it off? Or is it best to hide it away too?

I've got a Bel RX65, hardwired to the overhead console, and positioned next to the rear view mirror, just at the lower edge of the upper windshield tint. It's easy to disconnect if I have to, but wonder if I need to.

Thanks!!

96Fleetwood
10-08-06, 10:25 AM
I would turn it off and hide it away while you are in Virginia (the big cities at least). Back in 2003 I was pulled for having one turned on on I-64 West and the cop confiscated the detector and charged me a fine :tisk: Better be safe than sorry!

Spyder
10-08-06, 11:29 AM
Yea...lock it up in the trunk and call it good. Remember, if you are asked "Do you mind if I search your car?" you always have the right to say no. Unless you're being arrested you can decline that search, in damned near every situation.

DopeStar 156
10-08-06, 12:46 PM
Why are they illegal? Are they that bitter that we can catch them before they catch us? Be creative like the other states and find alternate ways.....

danbuc
10-08-06, 02:15 PM
I kept mine on when I on my trip from NY-FL and back. The thought had crossed my mind, but I really didn't think much of it. On the way down, it was christmas day and I was averaging 100+ mph the whole trip, so I wasn't about to turn it off (like it would have helped). On the way back up, 75 the whole way (any faster and my failing tranny would slip into neutral). Never had a problem. I was on I-95 the whole way up and down too so traffic was moving pretty fast in general.

Ranger
10-08-06, 06:42 PM
Yea...lock it up in the trunk and call it good. Remember, if you are asked "Do you mind if I search your car?" you always have the right to say no. Unless you're being arrested you can decline that search, in damned near every situation.
True, but you can bet that you'll not be leaving anytime soon and your car will eventually be searched by a court order because he now has reasonable suspicion that you are hiding something. It's just gonna take several hours to get that court order. There is no way to win.

I don't know if they can tell if you have one without seeing it. One sure way that the can tell is by getting way behind you (especially at night) and triggering the radar. If your brake lights go on everytime he hits the trigger, you're dead.

Spyder
10-08-06, 08:06 PM
Refusal of a request to search is NOT, in ANY court in this country, a reason for probable cause to search. The US Constitution says so and, while much of it has been weakened and taken away, that part of it does still stand strong. Deny a search and unless you are being arrested, they can not search anything but what is within your reach and may contain weapons which may prove dangerous to them. If they DO search and cannot articulate a reason why they did, you win.

tomm
10-08-06, 11:34 PM
In states where radar detectors are illegal such as Virginia they use RDD's (Radar Detector Detectors) to sense vehicles that have radar detectors. Every radar detector on the market except one leaks energy that allows these RDD's to pinpoint which vehicles are using radar detectors. Up until 2 years ago they were using devices such as VG2 or Spectre RDD's. Almost all detectors on the market are immune to these older technologies but then Spectre 3 came out and all detectors except one can now easily be detected.

The only detector on the market which is completely invisable to this technology is the Beltronics STi Driver but it comes with a heafty price tag $450. We even have concealed visor organizers to hide the unit so no one looking in the vehicle would even notice it.

Info on the detector is here:

Bel STi Driver,STi Driver, Beltronics, Bel Radar Detector (http://www.bestradardetectors.net/Beltronics_STi_Driver_p/bel-sti-driver.htm)

Below is the custom visor organizer designed just for this unit.

http://www.dontgetcaught.com.au/ProductDetails/101/uploadedFiles/1156821842815-1606.jpg

Night Wolf
10-09-06, 12:43 AM
yeah, its illegal, I kept mine plugge in, but put it on the floor... still works, but not as well... but still works.... I wasn't going all that fast tho.

dp102288
10-09-06, 08:30 AM
i would turn it off, but not put it out of sight. Then if a cop wants to keep tagging you, he won't detect your detector, and you wouldn't keep hitting your brakes when he tags you.

If he stop you, clearly point out that the detector is off, and you are just passing through.

Spyder
10-09-06, 10:25 AM
But if you're going to turn it off, why not just throw it out of sight? It takes twelve seconds and would most likely prevent a whole lot of hassle if you happen to get pulled over?!

dp102288
10-10-06, 08:19 AM
^^ You're right, but it shouldn't become a hassel in a perfect world, which none of us live in.

I wish there were a way to find out what band your state uses for radar. I think NJ just uses the x-band, but I want to know about the other states I travel in.

frey
10-10-06, 08:02 PM
I've decided the radar detector will be stowed away during our time in Virginia. No sense in creating an unnecessary inconvenience.

In my ongoing search for Virginia data, I ran across this state by state listing of radar bands.

Radar detector jammer forum: View topic - List of bands in the U.S (http://www.radardetector.net/List-of-bands-in-the-U.S-589t.php)

AlBundy
10-10-06, 08:15 PM
Refusal of a request to search is NOT, in ANY court in this country, a reason for probable cause to search. The US Constitution says so and, while much of it has been weakened and taken away, that part of it does still stand strong. Deny a search and unless you are being arrested, they can not search anything but what is within your reach and may contain weapons which may prove dangerous to them. If they DO search and cannot articulate a reason why they did, you win.

The constitution is a great thing but most cops I've ran into take refusal to search your vehical in a personal way:thehand: and could care less about what the constitution seize:canttalk: . If you don't have a passenger as a witness to bring with you to court your refusal falls on death ears and your car is search anyway:( .

dp102288
10-11-06, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the band lists!!!