: Anyone try Windows Vista yet?

eldorado99
10-08-06, 01:19 AM
I installed it a couple of days ago, RC1.

So far I like the gadgets on the right hand column; I have them set to local weather, currency, clock, and calender.

It's still slower than I'd like, then again EVERYTHING is animated. I like the fade effect and everything but it takes so much extra time to wait for something to fade out and then in as opposed to it just showing up instantly.

The compatibility issues havn't really hit me yet; I don't play games except once in a blue moon I'll play Civilization, and every program I've installed has installed without issue even though it is the XP version.

I havn't had a problem with finding drivers, again, I installed XP drivers for my motherboard (NForce2) and they work fine amazingly.

Networking was a bit confusing... There really isn't much to fiddle with but this is a release candidate so I can excuse that, and it did work, it just took about a day to finally recognize the other computers.

The only major complaint I have (There would be a lot more if this wasn't a release candidate) is that everything is too simple and there seems to be too much restricted access. In XP it was just a matter of turning off the "Simple" menus, but in Vista everything is dumbed down. Hopefully this will be better addressed in the final version.

So, for those of you that have tried it, what do you think?

Jesda
10-08-06, 02:12 AM
I ordered the DVD. Still waiting for it to arrive. (est 2 wks)

Spyder
10-08-06, 02:37 AM
I didn't know there was a new one coming out...I'm still running 2000, I believe, and my cell phone is still analog.

Leeb
10-08-06, 05:01 AM
I didn't know there was a new one coming out...I'm still running 2000, I believe, and my cell phone is still analog.

You do know that the cellular companies are starting to charge EXTRA for analog service?
:eek:

dp102288
10-08-06, 08:32 AM
Analog service is currently set to shut of Feburary 2008 (the 18th I think), but ADT security is pushing to delay that.

Windows 2000 is the best OS Microsoft has ever released, and it doesn't look like Vista will take that title away.

ShadowLvr400
10-08-06, 10:10 AM
I miss DOS. If I wouldnt have compatability issues on my games, I'd probably move to Linux. I really and truly hate Windows. Currently running XP, but I strip it down for performance purposes, so my XP looks like 95.

slk230mb
10-08-06, 11:06 AM
The Vista betas have been ok. For pre-final release candidates, they worked a lot better than I anticiapted. It found drivers for all of the OEM devices on my compaq laptop, so that was refreshing. The GUI looks nice, but I found that it ran better with all of the that turned off, but my laptop only has 512mb RAM. The best improvements are security, it appears to be a lot more secure, and IE7 is a welcome improvement.

eldorado99
10-08-06, 12:57 PM
The Vista betas have been ok. For pre-final release candidates, they worked a lot better than I anticiapted. It found drivers for all of the OEM devices on my compaq laptop, so that was refreshing. The GUI looks nice, but I found that it ran better with all of the that turned off, but my laptop only has 512mb RAM. The best improvements are security, it appears to be a lot more secure, and IE7 is a welcome improvement.

Yes IE7 is a huge improvement. I'm still trying to decide if I like it enough to replace Firefox. The main problem with it so far is just I'm trying to get used to the interface.

illumina
10-08-06, 01:31 PM
I'm not selling my soul to Microsoft any longer.

slk230mb
10-08-06, 03:33 PM
Yes IE7 is a huge improvement. I'm still trying to decide if I like it enough to replace Firefox. The main problem with it so far is just I'm trying to get used to the interface.

When the final IE7 is released, I'm going to use both, I want to see how firefox implements anti-phishing.

Jesda
10-08-06, 04:12 PM
C:\DOS> DELTREE C:\CADILLAC\OWNERS /Y

Pwn3d!!!!!

urbanski
10-08-06, 04:18 PM
C:\DOS> DELTREE C:\CADILLAC\OWNERS /Y

Pwn3d!!!!!

oh shit you just deleted the forum

CIWS
10-08-06, 05:07 PM
No on trying Vista yet. I'll probably just wait until it's finished, XP is working fine.

Fdisk........

Elvis
10-08-06, 05:13 PM
I spent from about 1996-1999 with my head buried in the sand, refusing to "sell my soul" to Microsoft. I got burned.

I'm really tempted to explore the Linux world. For the stuff I'm trying to accomplish they say that's where I need to go, but I'm also trying to remain as compatible as possible with Mr. Gates. It's a tightrope but I'm getting the hang of it.

illumina
10-08-06, 08:56 PM
I spent from about 1996-1999 with my head buried in the sand, refusing to "sell my soul" to Microsoft. I got burned.

I'm really tempted to explore the Linux world. For the stuff I'm trying to accomplish they say that's where I need to go, but I'm also trying to remain as compatible as possible with Mr. Gates. It's a tightrope but I'm getting the hang of it.

I'm working with Mandriva Linux 2007, I just need to install it on my other machine...:p

codewize
10-08-06, 09:34 PM
I ran the compatibility tester and it told me my brand new PC wasn't able to run Vista because I don't have 15 Gigs on my C partition. If I need 15 Gigs for an OS I don't want it anyway.

Oh and my brand new MicroTech Scanmaster Scanner wasn't compatible either.

Oh and Symantec Corporate AV isn't compatible either

Fukc M$ and their stupid ass crap. I don't need the toys I need a stable OS. I'm so sorry I moved form 2000 to XP, what a mistake.

I'm scared to try IE7, maybe it's not compatible with Windows or something? Who knows with these morons. Let me tell you keeping a Windows machine running is a hell of a lot more work than keeping a Linux machine up.

I agree

Windows 2000 is the best OS Microsoft has ever released, and it doesn't look like Vista will take that title away.

LittleB
10-08-06, 09:43 PM
Wow I didn't know there was another one. Thanks for the info! I wish there were snap shots on the web site, I'd love to see what it looks like. How much is it?

illumina
10-08-06, 09:48 PM
I ran the compatibility tester and it told me my brand new PC wasn't able to run Vista because I don't have 15 Gigs on my C partition. If I need 15 Gigs for an OS I don't want it anyway.

Oh and my brand new MicroTech Scanmaster Scanner wasn't compatible either.

Oh and Symantec Corporate AV isn't compatible either

Fukc M$ and their stupid ass crap. I don't need the toys I need a stable OS. I'm so sorry I moved form 2000 to XP, what a mistake.

I'm scared to try IE7, maybe it's not compatible with Windows or something? Who knows with these morons. Let me tell you keeping a Windows machine running is a hell of a lot more work than keeping a Linux machine up.

I agree

Have you messed with Mandriva Linux 2007 Free yet? I downloaded it the other night, but I have yet to install it. I have the feeling that the machine I'll be running it on won't be able to handle it; it only has 256 MB RAM.

behind-bars
10-08-06, 10:20 PM
On the anti-phishing with firefox, just saw this page
Google Safe Browsing for Firefox (http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/safebrowsing/)

I dont think firefox really had the problem to begin with, the deal with IE was that a site could spoof what you see in the address bar, AFAIK this was never possible since firefox didnt have all the activex mess that alot of scam/spyware relies upon.

I switched over to linux awhile ago for the most part, still have XP on a dual boot but rarely use it. I liked mandriva when I used it, has been a few years though. I now use Ubuntu and like it alot, If I ever have any trouble with it I may retry mandriva.

I have vista beta (old one) burned on a DVD, but dont have a dvd drive on the system I would test it on.

Jesda
10-08-06, 10:47 PM
Seriously. Win2k is tidy, compact, and clean. No BS, lots of quality.

slk230mb
10-09-06, 12:03 AM
Wow I didn't know there was another one. Thanks for the info! I wish there were snap shots on the web site, I'd love to see what it looks like. How much is it?

Windows Vista Virtual Pressroom (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/windowsvista/default.mspx)

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
10-09-06, 05:37 AM
Preview:

Microsoft Vista feature presentation - Google Video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4134446112378047444)

(actually, the sound from a Microsoft presentation of Vista but video of the current Mac OS which shows how they've just ripped it off. Hello and welcome to last week).

I know people in the computer industry steal ideas from each other from time to time (hey Apple do it) but MS really are taking the **** with Vista.

Jesda
10-09-06, 06:22 AM
Preview:

Microsoft Vista feature presentation - Google Video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4134446112378047444)

(actually, the sound from a Microsoft presentation of Vista but video of the current Mac OS which shows how they've just ripped it off. Hello and welcome to last week).

I know people in the computer industry steal ideas from each other from time to time (hey Apple do it) but MS really are taking the **** with Vista.

That
Is
Freaking
HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!

noahsdad
10-09-06, 07:17 AM
Ever since Windows started callling home to the mother ship and reporting user information, I stopped buying it. Vista is by far the most invasive and restrictive effort MS has made to date. I still keep Win2K on a machine just in case I need it, but rarely boot to it.

I started fooling with Linux about 7 years ago, when the X-desktop was in it's infancy. The progress they've made is astounding. It's easy to get confused by all the distributions, but all Linux is essentially the same. Each distro is designed to meet the needs of a particular type of user, and includes software directed toward that use. The current best flavor for general users in my opinion is Ubuntu; very easy to install and update.

BTW, you don't have to 'switch' to Linux, almost every distro includes the option of setting up a dual boot system, which allows you to try out Linux while retaining your current Windows install.

dp102288
10-09-06, 08:25 AM
I have a damn Small Linux Distro, ita a ~50mb live cd. I try to use it once in a while. It has a lot of stuff on it for 50mb (firefox, shit load of games, lots of productivity apps, etc), but it runs slow. Even if I load the entire cd into ram, and I have got a lot of ram, it still isn't as snappy as my heavily modded XP I am running right now.

davesdeville
10-09-06, 09:04 AM
I gave up on RC1 when it refused to see any drives/partitions "that meets it's requirements" or some BS like that. I tried removing all partitions, then making a new one and setting it as active but no dice. So I said screw it, it looks pretty bloated anyway. I'll stick with XP, and when I get a laptop and a CarPC they're getting 2K.

gothicaleigh
10-09-06, 08:26 PM
I downloaded it awhile back and burned it to a DVD, but never could figure out how to get it to install...

Bloated or not, the Aero desktop theme is nice eye-candy. :)

eldorado99
10-09-06, 09:36 PM
I have been thinking about giving Linux another shot. I tried it about 6 years ago and it confused my puny mind. I got it installed and running but that was pretty much all I could do. It also didn't have enough usable programs for my taste, and I was trying to do what Elvis does, walk the tight rope. I still need everything to work fairly seamlessly between my computers and the other Microsoft machines of the world.

I looked at Mandriva a couple of days ago but my prof told me today to give Ubuntu a shot, so I'll probably do that when I get some time and after I'm done fiddling with Vista.

behind-bars
10-09-06, 11:15 PM
I have a damn Small Linux Distro, ita a ~50mb live cd. I try to use it once in a while. It has a lot of stuff on it for 50mb (firefox, shit load of games, lots of productivity apps, etc), but it runs slow. Even if I load the entire cd into ram, and I have got a lot of ram, it still isn't as snappy as my heavily modded XP I am running right now.

Heavily Modified? You talking about nLite? I used that application to make a nice snappy XP that was about 1/3 of the origanal size.

Ubuntu is pretty nice, I use it every day. With Open Office you are still pretty safe as far as MS Office compatabality. I think its a good idea to dual boot linux/windows at first instead of diving head first into linux, Alot of people make the dive then at the first sign of trouble back out and reinstall windows and dont get around to linux again.

Not sure about mandriva, But as mentioned live cds are nice, Ubuntu and other versions have them, they allow you to try the OS without messing up what you have now.

eldorado99
10-10-06, 02:39 AM
I tried the live cds at one point too I think... The one I used was called Freedom. It was ok but it was a typical live linux distro, just not practical for everyday use. I'm downloading Ubuntu as I type this so I'll give it a shot, it's looking good so far just by looking at screenshots and the official website.

codewize
10-10-06, 08:49 AM
I have not tried to use a Linux distro as my primary machine since Fedora Core 1 went bad on me. I just don't have the time. I need my desktop to be 100% all the time. It's how I make my money.

As far as Themes, F*ck them. That shit is exactly why Windows sucks ass. I hate XP because it's all bubbly and pretty. I don't need that carp. I need a nice clean functional desktop. I don't need the start button to look like a Chiclet and I certainly don't need all those friggin balloons popping up all over the place.

The first thing I do to XP is switch it to classic desk top. Yeah that's why you need 15 GIGS of disk space to install Vista. 15 GIGS? come on that's ridiculous.

Elvis
10-10-06, 08:58 AM
I'm amazed at how many people are still running old DOS applications. I have one out that hasn't had any enhancements in about four years, yet about 80 people are still running it. At one time I had over 3200 out. Unfortunately it's been replaced by a webpage. :(

I've offered them a Windows replacement but nobody wants to spend the money to upgrade. Plus there are a lot of little quirky features and shortcuts in the DOS program that I didn't have time to put into the Windows product.

I'm thinking that pocket PC's are the way to go for replacing that product. Just gotta get the time and the manpower.