: Drivers side Fog Light and Cornering light inop

2000ForrestGrnCatty
10-08-06, 02:18 AM
I checked the bulb for the cornering light on the drivers side and it wasn't broken. However, its still not working as well as the fog light. I looked at the fog light and it seems to me that only the dealer can install a replacement bulb for it. Is this correct? Is there a fuse for it? because the right side is working. Any advice would be appreciated.

2000ForrestGrnCatty
10-08-06, 04:30 PM
No replies?

guardian
10-08-06, 04:51 PM
No replies?

Hey!! All the elves are already on overtime. We're answering as fast as we can here!!!:)

OK

You checked the lamp for breakage (mechanical integrity) only or you checked it for continuity? The latter kind of a check would be important. It's a simple check with a VOM and worth doing.

But with both lights out and the other side up and running it sounds to me like maybe a wiring harness problem. Cycle the harness connectors if you can reach them just to knock off any possible corrosion. If both lamps are served by a common ground, and if there is a discontinutiy in that ground line, then that could account for the symptoms you are seeing.

Also I agree with you it might be a fuse but I do not have a wiring diagram to know if those lamps are fused as a group. Maybe one of the other elves here will know.:)

Good luck!:thumbsup:

2000ForrestGrnCatty
10-08-06, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE=guardian;827310]Hey!! All the elves are already on overtime. We're answering as fast as we can here!!!:)

OK

You checked the lamp for breakage (mechanical integrity) only or you checked it for continuity? The latter kind of a check would be important. It's a simple check with a VOM and worth doing.

But with both lights out and the other side up and running it sounds to me like maybe a wiring harness problem. Cycle the harness connectors if you can reach them just to knock off any possible corrosion. If both lamps are served by a common ground, and if there is a discontinutiy in that ground line, then that could account for the symptoms you are seeing.

Also I agree with you it might be a fuse but I do not have a wiring diagram to know if those lamps are fused as a group. Maybe one of the other elves here will know.:)

Good luck!:thumbsup Thx for the reply Guardian. Didn't mean to rattle anyone about the lack of a response. I'm new here, and just purchased a Forrest Green 2000 Catera with all the bells and whistles. Was just wondering why one side works and the other doesn't. I hear these are very quirky cars.
Hope I made a good decision.

guardian
10-08-06, 05:54 PM
......... I hear these are very quirky cars.
Hope I made a good decision.

Cateras are great cars but they often need more service attention than some owners would prefer.

The thing about Catera that throws off some folks is the fact it carries the "Cadillac" name. It is not really a Cadillac in the traditional sense. It is a sophisticated European very high speed Autobahn cruiser. This means it is a "higher strung" car than the everyday commonplace Cadillac with which you might be more familiar.

You made a good decision if you have some electrical and mechanical troubleshooting ability and enjoy doing your own work. It might not be a good car for you if you are a "hands off" kind of person who is not into cars except as pure transportation.

Also the quality of your decision depends on the number of miles on your Cat and its cosmetic condition vs. the amount you paid for the car. Cats can be had for south of a grand all the way up to seven or eight grand. Everything depends on miles, condition, and the year of the car.

Your 2000 is one of the better years.

Good luck with your new ride. Hope you enjoy it a lot!

2000ForrestGrnCatty
10-08-06, 06:12 PM
It has 75,000 miles on it and I paid $6,500.00 for it. It's in very good condition actually, except for the usual door dings and scratches. It's got a few problems. The moonroof worked perfectly when I test drove it. As fate would have it, soon as I brought it home, it stopped. Very strange. The interior is practically in mint condition. I'm pretty much satisfied with it. I just don't want to pour a boat load of $$ in repairs. It was a one owner car btw.

guardian
10-08-06, 06:51 PM
It has 75,000 miles on it and I paid $6,500.00 for it. It's in very good condition actually, except for the usual door dings and scratches. It's got a few problems. The moonroof worked perfectly when I test drove it. As fate would have it, soon as I brought it home, it stopped. Very strange. The interior is practically in mint condition. I'm pretty much satisfied with it. I just don't want to pour a boat load of $$ in repairs. It was a one owner car btw.

For that kind of money the dealer should fix these problems for you . . . . for sure. After all, you just bought the car.

Take it back and tell 'em you want things put right. Cat repairs can be quite costly if you do not do your own work.

2000ForrestGrnCatty
10-08-06, 08:59 PM
It's not that kind of dealership. It was wholesaled. So I'm pretty sure I don't have many options.

uRabbit
10-13-06, 03:55 PM
You got ripped-off if you went through a wholesaler and got it for $6500. I went through a dealer and got it fro $7500. You should have been able to get it for $5500 or $4500...

2000ForrestGrnCatty
10-14-06, 12:47 AM
You got ripped-off if you went through a wholesaler and got it for $6500. I went through a dealer and got it fro $7500. You should have been able to get it for $5500 or $4500...
Well thx a lot Urabbit for the comments. It wasn't a wholesaler per say, but a
lower level car lot. I don't feel I got ripped, the car is in very good condition.
Interior is almost perfect, and the exterior is in great condition as well. "Opinions are like *******s, everybody has one".