: Is the service manual for SRX worth it?

HvyMetl
10-07-06, 08:59 AM
Hi, I am new to this forum, so I apologize if this question has been answered before...

I saw the SRX manual go for about $140 on the web, but there are no explanation or description of its content and layout. Not sure if it is helpful for a weekend warrior like a Haynes or Chilton manual, which I did not find for 04 SRX.

I have an 04 SRX with V8 RWD.

Thank a bunch, guys!

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM.

robhersch
10-08-06, 03:07 PM
Suggest you check with HELM, the "authentic GM publications house"; www.helminc.com ; 14310 Hamilton Ave, Highland Park, MI 48203; (800-782-4356 or 800-635-8860); the 3 volume set of GM Service Manuals (for my 2005 SRX: GMT/05-SRX-1) new $135.

I have been getting factory manuals for each of my autos since mid-1950s and find them superior to the auto store general books.

HvyMetl
10-09-06, 11:40 AM
Thanks again for your info, much obliged.

keeton
10-11-06, 04:37 PM
Like robhersch, I like to get the service literature for my vehicles. I sprung for the three volume set for my SRX. Unfortunately, many of the service procedures on the vehicle now require the programmable scan tool (big $$$$) so just having a good wrench set won't do you much good.

Since robhersch mentioned manuals from way back, one thing I have noticed is that the old manuals included actual photographs of the subassemblies that were being described in the text. The trend now is to have line drawings that are cheaper to produce but may not be as good an illustration.

robhersch
10-12-06, 12:58 AM
Suggest you check out the "ScanGuage" at ScanGaugeII - Scan Tool + Digital Gauges + Trip Computers (http://www.scanguage.com) (in Mesa Ariz). It connects to the standard diagnostic connector, reads both ODBII (1996 Std) & CAN (SRX & proposed standard for 08 autos) trouble codes as well as the ability to "clear trouble codes" (my unit does not provide the ability to re-program the vehicle modules); it also has multiple R/Os that show: engine load, gal per hr, ign timing, man absol pressure, throttle position, coolent temperature, battery voltage, miles per gal, TRIP records, miles-to-empty, etc, etc ....; it includes an instl & operations manual; it can be left connected as another gauge set when driving or used only when you wish to check status; ....... and it costs only ~ $150 (about what many shops charge just to connect their unit to your car) !! Good Luck !!

ewill3rd
10-12-06, 06:59 AM
I have never seen a GM factory manual that was inferior to an aftermarket produced similar publication.
Of course I use the factory manuals all day long.
The off the shelf ones are probably better in that they may give you a better idea of what you can do on your own which might keep you from getting in over your head, but it all depends on what you plan to do with the manual.
For the money the factory ones are the best, at least as far as GM is concerned.

keeton
10-12-06, 12:15 PM
robhersch, actually I do own a ScanGauge (http://www.scangauge.com/) (great minds think alike, huh?:D ). I keep it connected in my other vechicle since, for normal driving, it duplicatates a lot of functionality that is already built in to the SRX trip computer. My SRX has not thrown any CEL codes yet <knock on wood>. But as you said, the unit cannot do any on-vehicle programming like the pro tools, which would be a useful function for the SRX.

ewill3rd, I agree that the factory manuals are better than any commercially available aftermarket books out there (Haynes, Chilton), although there are supposed to be some pro resources (alldata.com?) that offer something that is pretty good. Does GM offer other service manuals for its techs that are not available to the public?

The bottom line is that, unlike the good old days, the three-volume SRX service manaul set and a good set of hand tools is _not_ enough to do a lot of DYI repairs on the vehicle. They are nice to have if you want to do some preliminary troubleshooting before you take the vehicle in to the dealer or you just want to get "closer to the machine".

ewill3rd
10-12-06, 01:10 PM
I have access to alldata in the shop as well, I don't use it very much.
Most of the schematics are direct copies from the GM manual.

We have paper copies of the manuals in house, but we use it online through a dealership access portal. The paper manuals are a print dump of the online version with a table of contents so you can find something.
(it's a huge amount of information afterall)
I prefer the older format that was broken down into easier to find subsections but GM doesn't call me very much for advice these days.

HvyMetl
10-14-06, 10:24 AM
You guys are the best, thanks again.

I am just worried the manuals will be over the top of my head, causing my wife to blow her top :) She has a canny 6th sense, smelling my fear and happy expenditures.

robhersch
10-14-06, 01:17 PM
Suggest checking this forum ~ 8/24/06 Re: Performance Chip for SRX.
These remarks indicate that (maybe??) this device (if available) appears to be simply a "reprogamming tool" for existing SRX computer chips and not replacement hardware chips. If true, this "reprogammer" could provide a way to "modify" computer parameters ....and which would allow novice/ experimanters to not only screw-up the vehicle performance, engine, transmission, etc .... but also to VOID ALL GM WARRANTIES !!
Be careful about what "tools" you ask for !! I am confident that no manufacturer would make the required mod details public or to provide them in any factory manuals!!
Personally. I like to "monitor" - but not change - certain vehicle parameters, but I also want "knowledgable Pros" to do any or all changes.
Current generation computer controlled autos are probably no longer protected from major damages resulting from "tinkering" like those pre-computer vehicles that allowed the "old carburetor or distributor limited tweaking".