: Power outlet and ignition switch

Fyreman235
10-06-06, 12:50 PM
Does anyone know how to turn the power outlets off when the ignition is off. I keep a radar detector plugged in, and it runs the battery down if I don't drive the SRX for a few days. I could turn it off when I leave the car, but it's too much for me to remember each time. I was in for service once, and the dealer quoted me a high price to make the change. They claimed that they would need to order an expensive part. Any help would be appreciated. I have an 05 N* AWD with all the trimmings.

donjumpsuit
10-06-06, 02:10 PM
I have the same problem with my sirius unit, so much for that advanced battery monitor that shuts down systems as the battery gets low. I imagine this only works with the car in accessory mode, not when the car is off. I wonder if there isnt a product that you plug into the cig lighter that does this function somehow.

MortnCyn
10-06-06, 02:17 PM
On '04 you could move some fuses to get the outlets to shutdown in 10 minutes. Long story short, some of us tried to no avail. Here is a note I made at that time. The dealer did it at no charge but I had given him the part number that they were not aware of.

"Accessory power does not shut off after 10 mins. Relocated fuse's to outer position & installed relay in spare position in under hood fuse block." Part number: 88953222 Description: 2.485 Relay

Do a search for the part number and you will find some posts.

Now have an '05 and do not leave anything plugged in. It is on all the time. Here is what the '05 manual says:

Power outlets can be set to work all the time or shut off 10 minutes after the vehicle is turned off. To change your setting, see your dealer for a fuse adjustment. Certain accessory power plugs may not be compatible to the accessory power outlet and could result in blown vehicle or adapter fuses. If you experience a problem, see your dealer for additional information on the accessory power outlets

Fyreman235
10-07-06, 03:11 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll go back to the dealer with this info. The price seems reasonable. I was thinking that he previously quoted around $50, which I thought was the part only...might have been for part and labor. If the relay is under ten bucks, I can't beleive they would charge $40 to install it. I might check a different dealer.

jgn
10-07-06, 04:48 PM
I ran power from the rear wiper switch in the overhead console. I stuck the radar detector near the top of the window. it works great.