Irwin

06STSgirl
10-10-06, 11:21 AM
Hi,

For what reason is the spoiler deleted on an 2007 STS V6 or V8 when
AWD is ordered. I cannot figure it out but I figured that one of
you smart people may know. Thank.

Irwin

That's interesting. I didn't know that they deleted the rear spoiler on all 2007 STS models when ordered with AWD, not sure why GM didn't even make it an option though (cost-cutting I'd assume). I have an '06 STS4 V8 with a rear spoiler and wouldn't have purchased an STS without it... Guess I'm glad I got my '06 :D. Off-topic, I sure would like to see what the 2007 STS "Platinum Edition" looks like... Anybody with pics?

Skibanker
10-10-06, 08:59 PM
My 2006 V6 STS4 has no spoiler. Wasn't available. The Z steering thingamabob was deleted too with the 4 option.

northlites
10-28-06, 10:37 AM
:bigroll: Why do people want a spoiler anyway?
My understanding is that spoilers kick in to the positive side at 130 mph, and
slower than that only impede air flow.
When I bought my '05, the only way NOT to get a spoiler is to forego
all the nice wood trim on the steering wheel and other niceties like the
deluxe instrumental panel (DIC).
By the way, does anyone have HUD? If you wear polorized sunglasses
your HUD becomes invisible! Ha!

c5 rv
10-28-06, 12:13 PM
Does the STS spoiler extend beyond the sides of the trunk lid? Due to likely use of AWD in snow & ice, they may delete it to avoid damage from opening and closing when there is snow and ice build up. That's my theory.

As for possible problems seeing the HUD through polarized sunglasses, it depends. I had a HUD on my 02 vette and never had a problem with polarized lenses unless I tilted my head a certain (and uncomfortable) way. I know other owners complained, though. It may depend on how the polarizing material is oriented in your lenses.

Cajonkev
10-30-06, 02:33 PM
No, the spoiler does not extend over the sides of the lid.

Polarization issues are typical for reflective systems like the STS HUD. Theirs is pretty good however combating it. I wear polarized lenses and do not have an issue with mine but have sampled others that do not do as well.

I also participated in a Denso HUD study on future concepts and they had me bring in all the types of sunglasses I owned and evaluated them on a test rig/screen.

Same reason we pilots do not use polarized lenses with aircraft HUD and some multi-function screens and older sectionals...

northlites
10-31-06, 08:55 AM
:confused: When you talk
of airplanes do you mean commercial or military airplanes?

I didn't think 767 for example or Airbuses were HUD equipped

Cajonkev
11-01-06, 01:30 PM
I said HUD and some "multi-function screens". Those of which are prevalent in many aircraft regardless of type/use including Boeing and Airbus models...

The colors used on these as well as on some paper charts are negated by polarized lenses.

But since you commented here are some images of HUD's for both the B-737 and the A-350...:bouncy:

http://www.stockindexonline.com/stock_images/folio_files/LIB1810/124_aviation-images.jpg

http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getAsset.aspx?ItemID=11670

rb92gt
11-04-06, 06:00 AM
I have an 06 STS V8 LUX PKG. Did not come with spoiler, but I had one put on, looks awesome along with the mesh grill I put on. Anyways... I believe that the reason they did not put the spoiler on cars w/awd is they are more likely to see snow and snow can build up in front of the spoiler impeding vision through rear window. The rear window as you all already know sits up high in comparison to other vehicles. Little hondas disappear behind me at stoplights if they get too close to me. They also disappear in my rearview when the light turns green :bouncy:

Skibanker
11-04-06, 10:28 AM
Dealer told me that removing the Z steering gear and the spoiler was a weight reduction effort to get the car barely below the point where a gas guzzler tax would have to be paid (I have the six banger). Have no idea if he knew what he was talking about or not.

bigdog9586
11-04-06, 01:10 PM
I doubt it as there are V8 STS's without the tax and they weigh more than the V6 does.
====================

Dealer told me that removing the Z steering gear and the spoiler was a weight reduction effort to get the car barely below the point where a gas guzzler tax would have to be paid (I have the six banger). Have no idea if he knew what he was talking about or not.

Cajonkev
11-04-06, 01:53 PM
Can't say as to the weight but I do know the STS4's triggered the tax for 05/06 and the V-8 RWD's did not...

northlites
11-13-06, 07:55 PM
:confused: Sorry to be so far off topic folks. I'd PM the following, but I need 50 posts to qualify and I only have 3!
Greetings, Cajonkev,
Thanks for your responses on the HUD/aircraft topic. You posted, "...we
pilots do not use polarized lenses with aircraft HUD and some multi-functional screens."
I questioned the use of HUD on commercial airplanes[/B][/B]. This is a partial response I received from an
Air Canada First Officer:"...we don't have any HUD on our aircraft as we
have an autoland capability -the airplane can do a complete zero/zero
landing in fog- so a HUD would be redundent." Most modern
commercial aircraft don't have HUD systems. I'm sure Boeing or Airbus
would sell you one if you asked for it.
There are no B737s or A350s in the Air Canada fleet.

tedasaurus
11-13-06, 11:09 PM
My '05 STS4 V8 has the spoiler and the good steering. I have seen awd STS's without the spoiler too. The spoiler is not a stand alone option, it is part of a performance option package that is available to the V6 or V8.

Cajonkev
11-14-06, 02:34 AM
:confused: Sorry to be so far off topic folks. I'd PM the following, but I need 50 posts to qualify and I only have 3!
Greetings, Cajonkev,
Thanks for your responses on the HUD/aircraft topic. You posted, "...we
pilots do not use polarized lenses with aircraft HUD and some multi-functional screens."
I questioned the use of HUD on commercial airplanes[/b][/b]. This is a partial response I received from an
Air Canada First Officer:"...we don't have any HUD on our aircraft as we
have an autoland capability -the airplane can do a complete zero/zero
landing in fog- so a HUD would be redundent." Most modern
commercial aircraft don't have HUD systems. I'm sure Boeing or Airbus
would sell you one if you asked for it.
There are no B737s or A350s in the Air Canada fleet.

LOL, Greetings back...:)

It somewhat amazes me why you are so hung up on HUD's...:bouncy:

In my original post I mentioned it as one only one of three items that are often negated by polarized lenses. My original post also stated that I do not have an issue with the STS HUD and my particular brand of polarized lenses.

My second post re-stated that it was only one item again along with multi-function screens and some paper charts. I then included pictures from two major aircraft providers equipped with HUD's to answer your question regarding commercial aircraft.

With due respect to your asking a pal, I also am a pilot and autoland has been standard for years and has nothing to do with why you do or do not have a HUD system onboard. HUD is simply an evolutionary addition to the marketplace and will continue to enter service fleets as attrition leads to aircraft retirements and replacements. Since carriers get plenty of cycles out of their equipment before they replace it, it will take many years to come for all commercial aircraft to have them and never for some. I did not state nor was I implying that ALL commercial aircraft have HUD's. I mentioned it purely as one reason out of several why pilots can have issues with polarized lenses.

As a point of fact, one of the selling points from the manufacturers is actually for take-off rolls and not landings. Here is some information from Boeing regarding their entry...

"This extra margin of safety allows a HUD-equipped airplane to fly when others cannot. Some regulatory standards require a minimum of 600 feet (182 meters) of visibility before an airplane is allowed to takeoff. Airplanes with HUD can takeoff in visibility conditions as low as 300 feet (91 meters).
Alaska Airlines was the first to incorporate HUD across its Next-Generation 737 fleet."

Private manufacturers are also integrating systems into newer aircraft such as higher end biz jets.

Again, not sure what the point is but my original comment(s) were strictly meant to respond to your statement:

By the way, does anyone have HUD? If you wear polorized sunglasses
your HUD becomes invisible! Ha!10-10-06 05:59 PM

Good dialogue and I appreciate your comments and the fact that you approached them in a respectful manner. I enjoyed the discourse.

Take care and I hope you're enjoying your 05...

northlites
11-14-06, 01:35 PM
Back atcha,

I'm amazed I'm so hung up on HUD too. I guess it boils
down to my classifying it as an unnecessary toy that
I can't see with my expensive sunglasses on.
I think that Lexus that parks itself is a ridiculous feature
too, and while I'm on a rant, I'm amazed by the quantity
of problems and confusion in this forum devoted to a machine
that should be a lot more user friendly.

Keep your nose up and your flaps down. Thanks for the
information and thoughtful discourse.

Cajonkev
11-14-06, 02:58 PM
"Better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air; than in the air wishing you were on the ground..."

Blue Skies...:thumbsup:

corvette00
11-17-06, 07:27 AM
The awd option on the 2007 STS deletes the rear spoiler. The spoiler cannot be ordered as a stand alone factory option. Another smart move. But look at the bright side, at least when the new CTS comes out in 08 the STS will not be mistaken for a CTS.:)

shudog
10-22-07, 12:32 PM
I always look for the spoiler on the STS cars I see on the road... I think it really adds a lot of style in an understated way.

I was under the impression that the cars with the spoiler had the magnetic ride option...

z06bigbird
10-23-07, 12:52 AM

Someone might want to tell the salesman to stick that spoiler somewhere in a place where it does not qualify the car for a gas guzzler tax. Gas guzzler tax is pretty literal. It has absolutely nothing to do with weight of one item like a spoiler. It is simply a math forumula for miles per gallon.

Lifer
10-23-07, 09:10 AM
[QUOTE]
Keep your nose up and your flaps down. QUOTE]

In the DeHaviland Otters we like to keep the nose down when the flaps are down. Works better that way. :cloud9:

z06bigbird
10-23-07, 04:11 PM
[QUOTE]
Keep your nose up and your flaps down. QUOTE]

In the DeHaviland Otters we like to keep the nose down when the flaps are down. Works better that way. :cloud9:

You just don't want to bend your airplane. I know you.

Leicajh
10-24-07, 02:05 PM
I have both spoilers, and HUDs. However, our top speed is MACH2+. :)

dkozloski
10-24-07, 03:18 PM
My '06 V8 AWD STS does not say STS4 on the deck lid but it does have a spoiler and all wheel drive. This stuff is almost random. Make the ordering rules as you go.