Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Remote amp turn on help

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  CTrink 
#1 ·
Adding an amp to a non Bose system in a 98 Eldo. Using line to RCA converters. Can somebody tell me how I can get an amp turn on signal?
Thanks

#2 ·
been covered
run a wire from your radio fuse (make sure you wrap it around the right side of the fuse or else youll always have power)
it will be on with your radio HOWEVER when in retained power mode *that 10 min period after you remove your key that your windows and radio remain on* your amp WILL NOT

#11 ·
Possibly from 'bleed-thru'. Delco never has done things in a 'normal' way...
It may be getting JUST ENUF to kick the amp on...:rolleyes:

I just don't like the idea of the antenna being up all the time that the ignition is on...:mad:

But better that than no antenna at all!:bouncy:

#5 ·
OK, I have thought about this but at the risk of looking stupid I don't understand "wrap it around the right side of the fuse or it will always be hot" Are not either side of a fuse always hot unless the fuse is open? Also, are you refering to the fuse at the fuse block. Sorry, but I just don't get it.

#12 ·
OK, I have thought about this but at the risk of looking stupid I don't understand "wrap it around the right side of the fuse or it will always be hot" Are not either side of a fuse always hot unless the fuse is open? Also, are you refering to the fuse at the fuse block. Sorry, but I just don't get it.
'Always be hot' is not quite right... it will be hot when the ignition is on even tho the fuse fails... when its attached to the wrong side...
:bouncy:

#6 ·
yes they both are hot SO LONG as the fuse doesnt blow
by putting it on the right side of the fuse you gain the protection of that fuse so as if the fuse burns out it will shut down power to the amp. if its on the left side if theres a short and the fuse blows the fact that its on the constant power side it will continue to draw power and could start a fire. that more clear im sorry i have a hard time wording things usually...

#7 ·
Ya, makes sense now. I still would like maybe to use a relay from some aux. device. The antenna idea sounded good, seems wierd it would not work. I may try it and try to trace it down with a meter. If I find anything worth sharing I'll post it.
Thanks

#9 ·
i ran main of the antenna lead, but keep in mind there are 2 leads...one is always hot to power the motor via a relay at the antenna, the other is hot whenever the head unit is actually on and it controlls the relay. since my amps were in the trunk, i caught the power right at the antenna motor itself

#13 ·
Hi, I'm REALLY new to audio, and i hooked my remote wire to my power antenna in the trunk (btw 93 deville) and i have no amp power. Also do you connect the remote wire to the fuse at the fuse block or where? b/c nobody ever answered that question when it was asked. thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.