: Corporate America's New Way To Fire People - Reapplying For Your Job

Lord Cadillac
10-05-06, 05:52 PM
So. What's the deal with this? I see people having to re-apply for their jobs from time to time.. Is this just some way of a company getting out paying for unemployement or something? Is it that easy for people who work for others to lose their jobs? I mean, you could be working for a company for 10 years and then they suddenly decide to "restructure" and ask you to re-apply for your job (send in your resume and fill out an application). If they don't hire you - then what?

DBA-One
10-05-06, 06:02 PM
Beats the crap out of me but in an At Will state like it is here in Florida, employers can do a lot of crazy things and there is little to no recourse.

Elvis
10-05-06, 06:07 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me. I might've been able to can my lardass eight years ago.

frey
10-05-06, 07:39 PM
I see it from time to time where I work. Typically, it's the result of spineless management, unwilling to be upfront with their employees.

Whether you lay them off, job eliminate their position, or make the re-apply, the result is the same. I can't speak to smaller companies, or states with specific legislation, but in most cases you qualify for unemployment regardless of which approach a company takes. Generally, unless you are fired for cause, you qualify for unemployment.

This is definitely the time of year when it's most common. Corps are looking at their '06 budgets and projecting '07 plans. Salary and benefits are the number one expense and typically the first place most companies look when they're running behind plan or trying to improve their bottom line. Shed the extra weight now to get the expense off the books before the start of the new year.

codewize
10-05-06, 08:05 PM
I like self employment. I'll decide when I work and who I work for, thank you very much.

That thank you is to all the ******* business owners and bosses I've devotedly worked for throughout the years gaining nothing at all for my hard work and dedication FU corporate America.

Elvis
10-05-06, 09:03 PM
I wouldn't be very good at playing all the corporate games. Too much emphasis on appearances instead of results.

codewize
10-05-06, 10:42 PM
To much emphasis on a$$ kissing instead of results. It's a very political world out there I homey don't play that.