: Pink Floyd: The Division Bell

90Brougham350
10-05-06, 05:06 PM
I sat down and listened to the entire album today after class; I was absolutely amazed with this album! I'm going to have to listen to it again a few times, but I think it'll be one of my favorites. Pink Floyd has never been a band I've given as much attention to as others like Zeppelin or Clapton, but after I listened to High Hopes twice in a row, that might change. Amazing cover art, kind of gives me the same feeling I get when I look at the "Animals" cover. Anyone really into Pink Floyd? What do you think?

http://90brougham350.smugmug.com/photos/100257723-L.jpg

CIWS
10-05-06, 05:21 PM
From Meddle forward I've liked Floyd.

Of course Dark Side of the Moon is a classic piece of work. :D

Got to see them in 1983 in Dallas.

Florian
10-05-06, 05:36 PM
Division Bell is only Pink Floyd in name. Without Roger Waters, they just suck. Roger is on tour performing The Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety...absolutely mindblowing live.

F

frey
10-05-06, 05:38 PM
Floyd was at it's best when Waters and Gilmour were together.

Division Bell is all Gilmour and sounds a lot like his solo work.

Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and Animals were their pinnacle. You can hear their potential in Meddle, but it's still a little raw. By the time The Wall and The Final Cut came around, Waters was becoming a nut job.

Dark Side is certainly their classic, but IMHO, WYWH and Animals are their best work.

Florian
10-05-06, 05:42 PM
Floyd was at it's best when Waters and Gilmour were together.

Division Bell is all Gilmour and sounds a lot like his solo work.

Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and Animals were their pinnacle. You can hear their potential in Meddle, but it's still a little raw. By the time The Wall and The Final Cut came around, Waters was becoming a nut job.

Dark Side is certainly their classic, but IMHO, WYWH and Animals are their best work.

:werd: I think Animals is my personal fave....even Final Cut is good....Atom Heart Mother is my second fave.

F

gary88
10-05-06, 05:47 PM
Animals is definatley my favorite Pink Floyd album. As a guitarist myself, I can learn a lot from listening to Gilmour. I get chills every time I hear Comfortably Numb.

frey
10-05-06, 05:49 PM
:werd: I think Animals is my personal fave....even Final Cut is good....Atom Heart Mother is my second fave.

F

You gotta be crazy, you gotta have a real need
You gotta sleep on your toes, and when you're on the street
You gotta be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed
And then moving in silently, down wind and out of sight
You gotta strike when the moment is right without thinking.
And after a while, you can work on points for style
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake
A certain look in the eye, and an easy smile
You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to
So that when they turn their backs on you
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.

Dogs
Animals (1977)

DBA-One
10-05-06, 05:50 PM
Floyd rules but that album is about nothing other than Gilmore's divorce. Take it back is my favorite on that record. It is a good record, Waters involvement or not. Keep Talking is a good track too

Edit:
I totally dig Dogs of War live.

Destroyer
10-05-06, 06:31 PM
I actually went to the Division Bell tour back in '94. Great concert. My favorite Floyd album is Pulse. Its a two cd live set, its absolutely phenominal one of the best live cd's ever and its got all Floyd music including the division bell. Their music sounds even better live. Trust me on this one. :thumbsup:

frey
10-05-06, 06:52 PM
I actually went to the Division Bell tour back in '94. Great concert. My favorite Floyd album is Pulse. Its a two cd live set, its absolutely phenominal one of the best live cd's ever and its got all Floyd music including the division bell. Their music sounds even better live. Trust me on this one. :thumbsup:

CD??? I have the DVD and it rocks!!!

Destroyer
10-05-06, 07:41 PM
CD??? I have the DVD and it rocks!!!I've got the DVD as well, forgot I even had it. Either way. :thumbsup:

caddydaddy
10-05-06, 09:02 PM
I'm a big Pink Floyd fan! I haven't been to any of thier concerts, but my parent have been to many. I've have seen quite a few of the tribute bands, and they are amazing!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-05-06, 09:03 PM
I've been considering buying "Animals" for quite a while.. I really love "Sheep" but I didn't think that the rest of the album was as good as that one. Wish You Were Here is a great album too, as is DSOTM. I love love Comfortably Numb, but I don't think the rest of "The Wall" is as good as that song is.

Destroyer
10-05-06, 09:51 PM
I've been considering buying "Animals" for quite a while.. I really love "Sheep" but I didn't think that the rest of the album was as good as that one. Wish You Were Here is a great album too, as is DSOTM. I love love Comfortably Numb, but I don't think the rest of "The Wall" is as good as that song is.
"Run like hell", "Another brick the wall" and "dirty woman" are awesome songs from the wall.

Florian
10-05-06, 10:45 PM

The Movie "The Wall" is better as it has 2 songs not on the album, plus you get hippie-trippie visuals to boot. They never should have been left off, they are terrific songs.
Get out there and buy the digitally remastered "Animals"...quite simply an orgasm via headphones

F

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-05-06, 11:34 PM
If I'm not mistaken, "Animals" is all about society, but it's written in the forms of animals. For example, sheep is about the people that are sheep in society, those that follow the pack and do what everyone else is doing. Dogs is about the leaders in society and what bad they bring, etc etc. And IIRC, "The Wall" is all about the life and death of a rock star, or something to that extent.

Florian, this weekend I'm getting a CD changer installed in my car, and the computer game "Age of Empires", but the next CD I'll purchase will be "Animals".

Florian
10-05-06, 11:46 PM
If I'm not mistaken, "Animals" is all about society, but it's written in the forms of animals. For example, sheep is about the people that are sheep in society, those that follow the pack and do what everyone else is doing. Dogs is about the leaders in society and what bad they bring, etc etc. And IIRC, "The Wall" is all about the life and death of a rock star, or something to that extent.

Florian, this weekend I'm getting a CD changer installed in my car, and the computer game "Age of Empires", but the next CD I'll purchase will be "Animals".

The Wall was Roger Waters first stab at concept album rock based on his life story (his father serving and dying in WW2, growing up in 50's England and finally him making it big and enjoying the fruits of his labours), frankly, he hit the ball out of the park. Animals is definately about the personification of animals in a societal environ. The Wall and The Final Cut are both concept albums that Roger did (and all 3 of his solo works (The Pros and Cons of Hitchiking- a smashing good album that features the guitar work of Eric Clapton and the Sax work of David Sanborn/Radio KAOS, probably the weakest of his solo stuff/Amused to Death a great solo effort and well worth picking up). If you can stand RW's political rantings, then you should at least give em a listen.

F

Stoneage_Caddy
10-05-06, 11:57 PM
I loved division bell when it came out ...have it and alot of other floyd albums , yes even vynal ....

25 and have vynal records ....damn i knew i was born in the wrong decade

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-06-06, 12:04 AM
The Wall was Roger Waters first stab at concept album rock based on his life story (his father serving and dying in WW2, growing up in 50's England and finally him making it big and enjoying the fruits of his labours), frankly, he hit the ball out of the park. Animals is definately about the personification of animals in a societal environ.

Hmmm... life story eh? Cool!

I've actually seen the factory that is on the cover of "Animals", it's right outside of London.

Night Wolf
10-06-06, 12:37 AM
25 and have vinyl?

Got ya beat.... 19 ;)

Huge Floyd fan.... have alot of their CD's records and a DVD.... and various posters and shirts.

Momentary Laspe of Reason is my favorite, Divsion Bell is very good. I like The Wall, I have WYWH, Animals and DOSTM those I don't really like any of them too much, I suppose I need to listen to them again as it's been a long time.

There is alot of dynamic range in their music, and when you listen to it on a sound system that can reproduce amazing bass, clear highs, and a pronounced soundstage.... it is totally awesome. My living room is not a good sonic room at all, and I mostly have everything there, just to have it there... plus with the neighbors and all, but it is still nice to know I've got all my gear, and every once in a while open it up a little. Some of this stuff was recorded on the very speakers I play them on.... except for the cdp, all my gear is from the same era as this music.... my cd player may as well be considered vintage - 1991... tho it'll still hold it's own with players today in the $300-$500 range... add on the features that it has and players today don't (Nakamichi's amazing MusicBank system, and the remote control volume control) as well as other goodies... and it's a winner :).

http://inoventionseast.com/misc/Whole%20System.JPG

Night Wolf
10-06-06, 12:38 AM
If you have the time, rent The Wall - the movie.... it totally explains the album and alot about the works.... it isn't to the best of heart and has some things that some may not like... but I reccomend it to anyone interested in the music.

GailyBedight
10-06-06, 01:19 AM
Ultimate road trip song -> Money.

Class of '68. Enjoyed the music and the extra curricular nocturnal chemical activity of the times.

Watch the white lines flow by at night with the volume cranked up and Money playin'. Good Old Days!!!

AirJigga25
10-06-06, 09:13 AM
division bell is my favorite album, better than dark side of the moon.

Florian
10-06-06, 09:48 AM
division bell is my favorite album, better than dark side of the moon.

Jigga please! Youre far too young to understand why DSoTM is such an important work. Division Bell is certainly the most recognizable PF album of the 20-30 yr old set, but to us oldtimers, anything done by PF post 1980, is just a Dave Gilmour solo album.

F

90Brougham350
10-06-06, 10:05 AM
I know what you guys are saying about vinyl, I've been getting into that for a while now. My prized posession is a MINT copy of Thriller. Ebay's been very good to me, but not to my wallet. I've been buying Judas Priest LP's as of late. I'm going to try and find a copy of Animals in great condition. I absolutely love the picture of Battersea power station, it gives me a strange emotion when I look at it.

DBA-One
10-06-06, 10:30 AM
Anyone catch Pulse on VH1 Classic last night? I've seen it many times but watch it whenever it is on.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-08-06, 12:47 AM
I bought "Animals" tonight to celebrate the installation of my 12-disc CD changer.

It's a really cool album. My favorite song right now is "Pigs (Three Different Ones)". I love the baseline and lyrics, especially the "ha ha charade you are" parts they keep repeating. Very cool album!

A more indepth review to come later!