: Road Trip - Detroit

noahsdad
10-05-06, 11:14 AM
Just finished a great road trip through "the corridor" from Chicago to Detroit. Managed to talk my wife into an afternoon at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. If you guys have never been there - go. It's an American Iron cathedral. Right next door is the Automobile Hall of Fame, which we didn't get to, but looks awesome as well.

At Henry Ford, you see everything that Ford has had a hand in building, plus a great American auto history lesson. There's a Chrysler Turbine there, a Cord Roadster, a Tucker, the '62 Lincoln Limousine that Kennedy was riding in when assassinated, the Mustang prototype from 1962, and THE Ford Taurus that Motor Trend used for testing before they named it Car of the Year in 1986 - it has 1,110 miles on it. The list goes on and on - plus Ford's aircraft division, furniture, appliances - truly incredible.

We were late getting out of town, but next time we're spending a couple of days, going to the Ren Cen to see the Sixteen, etc.:bouncy:

Jesda
10-05-06, 12:27 PM
Woo! Pics?

EcSTSatic
10-05-06, 02:16 PM
Never been in that part of the country but I'd like to see the HF museum.

I've always wanted to go to the Field Museum and see the Tsavo Lions (http://www.fieldmuseum.org/exhibits/exhibit_sites/tsavo/default.htm) ever since I saw "Ghost in the Darkness". We thought we'd catch it during a long layover at O'Hare, but we stopped flying that route.

Elvis
10-05-06, 02:23 PM
Cool, you saw THE limo. There are a lot of websites claiming that the limo has been modified since the assassination. Something to do with a bullet hole that came from the wrong direction.

I didn't know it was a '62 model, but that makes sense.

Was it blue or black? I never could tell, I read somewhere that it was a really dark blue.

noahsdad
10-05-06, 05:21 PM
Cool, you saw THE limo. There are a lot of websites claiming that the limo has been modified since the assassination. Something to do with a bullet hole that came from the wrong direction.

I didn't know it was a '62 model, but that makes sense.

Was it blue or black? I never could tell, I read somewhere that it was a really dark blue.

It has been modified. There's a permanant top on it, and of course the interior was replaced. The bullet hole you speak of was in the windshield (it was actually a star crack on the inside of the glass) but the 'shield was replaced shortly after the crime. The car actually was kept in service for Presidential use until 1965, but Johnson never used it.

It was originally dark blue, but was later painted black.

BTW Jesda - I will post pics in a few days. I'm on the road until Saturday.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-05-06, 08:13 PM
Sounds like a hell of a road trip! Maybe I should go out there sometime..

Caddy Man
10-05-06, 10:35 PM
We were late getting out of town, but next time we're spending a couple of days, going to the Ren Cen to see the Sixteen, etc.:bouncy:

not sure if you know this, but that ''sixteen'' in the ren cen is just a mock up scale model. The tires and wheels arent even real I dont think and there is no interior in the car. Its just a large mold of the original car.

Benzilla
10-06-06, 12:30 AM
I went there a couple years ago while I was still up there, I loved it, they had to kick me out for closing time. I wanna go back.

I'm going to the ren cen in November, so I'll see the sixteen model too.

noahsdad
10-06-06, 09:48 AM
Sounds like a hell of a road trip! Maybe I should go out there sometime..

Chad - you need to do this. Take three days and hit the Olds museum in Lansing, GM headquarters, and the Chrysler Proving Grounds in Chelsea. Your head will be spinning.

noahsdad
10-06-06, 09:49 AM
not sure if you know this, but that ''sixteen'' in the ren cen is just a mock up scale model. The tires and wheels arent even real I dont think and there is no interior in the car. Its just a large mold of the original car.

I did not know that - thanks for the update. Do you know where the real one is?

dp102288
10-06-06, 09:59 AM
Sounds like real fun. Hopefully one day I will be able to go.

noahsdad
10-06-06, 08:59 PM
Now the pics

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e152/mindstage/Kennedy-small.jpg

This is Kennedy's limo. As you can see it now has a permanant top, but most other elements remain the same.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e152/mindstage/Mustang-small.jpg

This is the prototype Mustang show car from 1962.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e152/mindstage/Tucker-small.jpg

One of the handful of Tucker Torpedos in the world. This one has 1600 miles.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e152/mindstage/Lindycamp-small.jpg

Charles Lindberg's 1939 Mercury sedan and camper, with which he visited all 50 states. Lindy wrote a log of all the stops on the bottom of one of the kitchen drawers in the camper. The camper body is made entirely of plywood and covered in canvas.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-07-06, 01:21 AM
Yeah , that kennedy limo was leased to the goverment from ford for 100 bucks , after kennedy was assinated the car was fitted with "quick fix" which was the top and other items and then it was returned to service , at the end of its lease ford took it back. The car also got updates to its nose and tail thru the years , the chassis might be 62 , but each year it got the new nose for that years car ...Its one of the most interesting presidentail limos , even if you dont mention the fact kennedy died in it.