: Engine removal

jholland
10-04-06, 03:33 PM
I have a 97 Seville with all the classic signs of a head gasket, did all the standard checks (new GM thermostat water, pump,etc.). I have lengthy experience with engines that come out the top, non on engines that come out the bottom. To make matters worse I don't have a lift. My only solution appears to be to drop the cradle and raise the car off the engine. Do I have a prayer of doing this and is there a procedure? IS there any way to get the engine out the top.

davesdeville
10-05-06, 04:53 AM
You CAN get the motor out of the top, but it's reccomended to drop the cradle for a reason... If you've got a decent engine lift you can lift the car that way.

white97deville
10-05-06, 06:46 PM
If you have space it was fairly easy to remove the cradle from the bottom and lift the body. I borrowed a dolly from work to drop the cradle on and just rolled it out from under the car.

white97deville
10-05-06, 06:54 PM
Ooops! That pic came out big. Don't know why or how to resize. I'll delete it if it bothers anyone.

jholland
10-06-06, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the pic. I think I'll go out the bottom. How tough was it to repair the headgasket?

zonie77
10-06-06, 12:38 PM
jholland,

You had two identical threads. On the other thread I suggested you look at the N* head gasket repair in tech tips for a lot of info. Did you look at that? Lists tools needed and gives a bunch of tips.

zonie77
10-06-06, 12:39 PM
white97deville,

That's a much better pic than I posted. Can you add that to the N* head gasket repair thread?

white97deville
10-06-06, 07:16 PM
white97deville,

That's a much better pic than I posted. Can you add that to the N* head gasket repair thread?

Done.

jholland
10-20-06, 09:12 AM
Got the engine out. Two lower head bolts on cylinder 4 were loose(stripped) the other bolts had anti sieze compound or something and came out fine. Is this an indication that this engine has had timeserts. Any way to tell?

zonie77
10-20-06, 10:44 AM
If it had been timeserted you would see a steel ring in the bolt hole. I doubt it has been timeserted before. You should do all 20 holes now.

The bolts have a sealant on them from the factory. Replace the bolts, they come with the factory head gaskets.