: Another "What would you get" threads

SpeedyArizona
10-03-06, 11:11 PM
I've been browsing the internet looking for a daily driver- something with 4 doors. I decided that it may be a smart decision to get a car that I can drive everyday without the constant hassle of trying to get my clients into the backseat of the Eldorado. I don't want to spend a lot so I'm mainly looking at used cars and SUVs. Given it'll be a few months before I dive in, right now I'm just trying to sort out my options.

I don't plan on getting rid of either car so price is my major issue. I'll have to make another insurance payment plus general maintainence in addition to the actual cost of the vehicle. Right now I'm looking at:

2001-2003 Cadillac Deville
2002-2003 Cadillac Seville
2001-2003 Chevy Tahoe and GMC Yukon
2003-2004 Ford Explorer/ Expedition
1999-2000 MB E-Class

Basically my budget will be around $20,000, I'm still undecided it I want a car or SUV. I know the SUV will take more gas but on the other hand, the Cadillac or Mercedes will have a higher insurance rate. If I could, I'd probably buy a Range Rover or MB CLS-Class. I NEED something with low miles since I'll be driving it everyday. Anybody have any suggestions or advice? It'll definetly be a few months before I buy (if I decide to buy that is).

Elvis, how do you like your Expedition?

CadillacSTS42005
10-03-06, 11:23 PM
if you have an Eldo and love her
why not get a Seville SLS
they are sister cars
and the sls will be more comfortable for them and you softer ride better gas milage juz imho

davesdeville
10-03-06, 11:29 PM
The Cad/Benz will probably only have higher insurance if you're doing comprehensive. I'd ditch the SUV idea, gas is cheap and people are buying them again, but they'll be pissed next spring/summer..

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-03-06, 11:34 PM
DeVille, but I'd definetly go with the DTS.

gary88
10-03-06, 11:39 PM
I'm with Chad, the DTS would be a good choice. 16-17mpg around town if you don't nail it everywhere, and 26+ on the highway :highfive: Plus it's the best looking out of all those choices IMO.

SpeedyArizona
10-03-06, 11:49 PM
I'd ditch the SUV idea, gas is cheap and people are buying them again, but they'll be pissed next spring/summer..

The reason I put the SUV's on the list is because they have substance. If I'll be driving something everyday, I want to feel safe. All the cars I listed are fairly large and that's what I'm looking for.

DeVille, but I'd definetly go with the DTS.

I never fully understood what the difference was between a DeVille and a DTS. I know the DTS is a trim option but that's about it.

why not get a Seville SLS

I'll add it to the list, never thought about it.

I'm with Chad, the DTS would be a good choice. 16-17mpg around town if you don't nail it everywhere, and 26+ on the highway Plus it's the best looking out of all those choices IMO.

I'm thinking about it, I agree it's probably the best looking.

The problem is that this car will be sitting out in the elements (the Arizona elements...HA:hysteric:). I can't leave the Porshce out and I'm not keen on leaving the Eldorado out either. If I do buy a Deville, it will have to be black. I love black Devilles:thumbsup:!

CadillacGurl
10-04-06, 12:51 AM
Black Deville= NICE! and same with the Seville
Both are good choices, plus its good to keep the clients comfy and relaxed. Maybe you'll get some compliments and hey you can promote caddys and your service!

LittleB
10-04-06, 12:56 AM
If I could, I'd probably buy a Range Rover or MB CLS-Class. I NEED something with low miles since I'll be driving it everyday. Anybody have any suggestions or advice? It'll definetly be a few months before I buy (if I decide to buy that is).

I'm with you on the Range Rover! I am so in love with those. I can't afford one though. I only like the 2003's and up, and even a 2003 used is like 40-50k.

OffThaHorseCEO
10-04-06, 03:24 AM
the difference between a deville and a dts is, trim , suspension and power

these are off the top of my head and im sure theyre wrong but close

the deville has the northstar 4.6 which is rated at 275hp and 290 lb-ft of torque

the dts has the y vin northstar rated at 300 hp but 275 lb-ft

the dts has a floor shifter, and comes standard with prettier gauges

the dts has magnetic ride i believe

the dts has a stiffer suspension, the dhs has the softest of the 3

illumina
10-04-06, 03:50 AM
I think I need a dime bag! A ~2006 base model green dime bag that isn't aged at all!

Okay, I don't really smoke dope.

:D :p

Jesda
10-04-06, 04:00 AM
Worst model years for the E-class there. Anything but that.

RobertCTS
10-04-06, 09:04 AM
Didn't the English Rover company go belly up? England said they could no longer support their dwindling sales. That would make it the last English car company. Parts could become an issue as would dealer service when they dry up.

Adam
10-04-06, 09:30 AM
i seen a 03 Escalade the othe day for 20,5k. maybe luck out and find one in that range? if i was you i would go DTS or DHS. insurance doesnt know the difference between those and a Deville so it doesnt matter. insurance is high on SUV's also bro so it looks like a car is the best way to go. could get a 96 Fleetwood Brougham :thumbsup: .

dp102288
10-04-06, 09:36 AM
I vote for the Seville or Deville. I don't like the MB designs and you might regret the SUv when gas does get expensive again.

Plus I think those Caddys would be great daily drivers.

SpeedyArizona
10-04-06, 04:56 PM
could get a 96 Fleetwood Brougham

Hopefully I don't get flamed for saying this but...I don't like the look of the Fleetwoods:peeking: .

A used Escalade would be nice but most used here are around $25K.

I would like an SUV for a DD rather than a car but I do need to take in consideration the cost of gas if it goes back up. I also need to think about when the '08-'09 Challenger comes out, I'm dead-set on buying one. I can't have 4 cars, that'd be completely ridiculous; even 3 is stretching it.

Basically I need a work car and something for the weekends. The Porsche is my fun car, the Eldorado (right now) is my work car. But anyway...

The DHS or DTS would probably top the SLS or STS if I decided on a Cadillac. The E-Class are expensive cars to maintain so I might throw that idea out.

Adam
10-04-06, 05:42 PM
Hopefully I don't get flamed for saying this but...I don't like the look of the Fleetwoods:peeking: .

A used Escalade would be nice but most used here are around $25K.

I would like an SUV for a DD rather than a car but I do need to take in consideration the cost of gas if it goes back up. I also need to think about when the '08-'09 Challenger comes out, I'm dead-set on buying one. I can't have 4 cars, that'd be completely ridiculous; even 3 is stretching it.

Basically I need a work car and something for the weekends. The Porsche is my fun car, the Eldorado (right now) is my work car. But anyway...

The DHS or DTS would probably top the SLS or STS if I decided on a Cadillac. The E-Class are expensive cars to maintain so I might throw that idea out.

ah man, i love the Fleetwood's but its your decision and opinion. if i was you i would DEFINITELY go with a DHS. why? well one more seat. what happens if one extra just happens to be in tow? might not have happened but its good to be prepared. i know some would say get the DTS cause it is more sporty and more hp, but lets be real you have a Porsche and well this is a Deville we are talking about afterall... The DHS i believe has the right amount of everything. but meh, do what you want, your money bro. good luck with your decision and post pics if and when you get whatever :thumbsup: .

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-04-06, 08:40 PM
1992-99 Mercedes Benz S Class!
http://images.consumerguide.com/autoreview/400x266/1992-99-Mercedes-Benz-S-Class-94603221990001.JPG
Power. Presence. Charisma.

SpeedyArizona
10-04-06, 11:30 PM
ah man, i love the Fleetwood's but its your decision and opinion. if i was you i would DEFINITELY go with a DHS. why? well one more seat. what happens if one extra just happens to be in tow? might not have happened but its good to be prepared. i know some would say get the DTS cause it is more sporty and more hp, but lets be real you have a Porsche and well this is a Deville we are talking about afterall... The DHS i believe has the right amount of everything. but meh, do what you want, your money bro. good luck with your decision and post pics if and when you get whatever .

A DHS would be plenty especially if I could save a few thousand. I would like night vision if possible but I know that'd jack up the price a bit.

Too old, too many miles. The look is ok but I need something that doesn't already have 100,000 miles.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-04-06, 11:38 PM
Ahh there have to be a few 97-99 models that don't have that many miles on them...

Adam
10-05-06, 05:59 PM
A DHS would be plenty especially if I could save a few thousand. I would like night vision if possible but I know that'd jack up the price a bit.

well, about a month ago i seen a 2002 DHS at the Caddy dealership (w/nightvision) for $19,995. so it is right in your price range. there were 2 other DHS' on the lot (an 01 & 04) going for $17,350 and $27,500 respectively. i almost got an 01 DHS a few years back for 26k but it didnt work out... CAUSE I GOT MY FLEETWOOD :dance:

Elvis
10-05-06, 06:18 PM
Elvis, how do you like your Expedition?

I LOVE my Expedition. I would NOT recommend an Explorer.

In 2003 they re-styled the Expedition, it has independent rear suspension and a fantastic ride. Mileage is about 15.5 to 16. I get 21 on the highway.

Resale value is LOUSY, so I think you could get a really nice one with low miles for $20,000.

SpeedyArizona
10-05-06, 06:28 PM
I LOVE my Expedition. I would NOT recommend an Explorer.

I like the look of the Expedition more but I have nothing against the Explorers. Any reason why you won't recommend one?

Resale value is LOUSY, so I think you could get a really nice one with low miles for $20,000.

That's what I thought. I saw an '04 Expedition for $19,500 and it was pretty much fully-loaded. The mileage is suprisingly good for a vehicle that size and most of my driving is on the freeway. 21 is amazing, my Eldorado doesn't do much better.

Right now it's between a DHS/ DTS or Ford Expedition or Explorer.

Elvis
10-05-06, 09:07 PM
I like the look of the Expedition more but I have nothing against the Explorers. Any reason why you won't recommend one?

That's what I thought. I saw an '04 Expedition for $19,500 and it was pretty much fully-loaded. The mileage is suprisingly good for a vehicle that size and most of my driving is on the freeway. 21 is amazing, my Eldorado doesn't do much better.

Right now it's between a DHS/ DTS or Ford Expedition or Explorer.

I've done an extensive comparison between the Explorer and the Envoy, and I liked the Envoy a LOT better.

It's funny your choice is between the DHS and the Expy. That's what I had narrowed mine down to as well. The only reason the Expy won out was because of my dogs.

You should be able to get an excellent price on both, and you should be able to find examples of both in OUTSTANDING condition.

You'll be deliriously happy with either one, I assure you. Good luck!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-05-06, 09:17 PM
I don't like the new Explorer's seats..too firm. But that goes with most of Ford's products.

Elvis
10-05-06, 09:32 PM
I don't like the new Explorer's seats..too firm. But that goes with most of Ford's products.

I agree on the Explorer, particularly the back seat. The Expedition seats are cushy and spacious. ;)

SpeedyArizona
10-05-06, 10:06 PM
It's funny your choice is between the DHS and the Expy. That's what I had narrowed mine down to as well. The only reason the Expy won out was because of my dogs.

The odd couple right? Some huge Ford SUV vs a Cadillac sedan?

I'll test drive both this month sometime and see what deal I can reach. I like the plush ride of the Cadillac but I do like to sit up high in traffic, I'm scared to take my Porsche on the freeway in rush-hour, I'd be killed!

Since this is a work car, I need something with low miles. I appreciate everyone's recommendation:thumbsup:.

Elvis
10-06-06, 09:50 AM
You'll be surprised at how well the Expedition handles for something with a higher center of gravity. I certainly was.

dp102288
10-06-06, 09:57 AM
Man, he really likes his Expedition! Well at least your happy man!

I still vote for the Deville or Seville!

Wiseguy2
10-07-06, 03:20 AM
http://images.consumerguide.com/autoreview/400x266/1992-99-Mercedes-Benz-S-Class-94603221990001.JPG
Power. Presence. Charisma.

And repair bills that will stop your heart. W140s can be extremely expensive to keep on the road (Flat rate for an AC Evaporator is 21-26 hours as an example..) The E-Class that the OP mentioned can also be a horrifyingly expensive car to fix. By 99-00 the disintegrating wiring harnesses were fixed I do believe but you still have all sorts of electrical problems, and they still are prone to enormous repair bills for the AC system.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-07-06, 09:27 AM
^ Yup. Mercedes Benzes are cars that are by nature very complex and expensive to maintain. The S Class is the most expensive and complex M-B out there, so repair bills will be hiiiiiiigh!

TracerHawk
11-18-06, 04:42 PM
I'm with Chad, the DTS would be a good choice. 16-17mpg around town if you don't nail it everywhere, and 26+ on the highway :highfive: Plus it's the best looking out of all those choices IMO.

Same here, I'd go with the DTS