: 500HP STS V-Series???

Dr. Design
10-02-06, 05:32 PM
Hello,

It is with great pleasure to announce we will be releasing a 500HP Level 1 package for the STS V-Series. The 500HP* package will be made available within the next 4-6 weeks for under $1,000. In good or average conditions with sea level not being an issue, this set up should land the STS V-Series in the high 12's in the 1/4 mile. For more information please contact us via phone or email. Please let us know if there are any questions.

*(HP figure taken at the crank, actual wheel horsepower will be less.)

Thank you,

MrEr1c
10-03-06, 10:32 PM
Just curious, why are you basing your numbers off an engine dyno? Is it for advertisement?

Also, have you ran the 1/4 mile yet with the "500hp" package?

I am wondering how good these things can and will do at the track as far as launching.

Keep up the good work, and i hope you get more power! (500rwhp would be bitch'n"

Dr. Design
10-04-06, 12:38 PM
Hello,
The numbers are based off of crank HP much like the factory HP ratings. Since those numbers are well known we feel it would be best to advertise a number that improves on a number that you are all familar with.

We will be doing testing and collecting data at the track this weekend. This type of testing should result in performance product development.

Please let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Just curious, why are you basing your numbers off an engine dyno? Is it for advertisement?

Also, have you ran the 1/4 mile yet with the "500hp" package?

I am wondering how good these things can and will do at the track as far as launching.

Keep up the good work, and i hope you get more power! (500rwhp would be bitch'n"

harryctsv
10-04-06, 01:25 PM
Hello,
The numbers are based off of crank HP much like the factory HP ratings. Since those numbers are well known we feel it would be best to advertise a number that improves on a number that you are all familar with.

We will be doing testing and collecting data at the track this weekend. This type of testing should result in performance product development.

Thank you,
Dr. Design,
is this level 1 package only available for STS V or also XLR V?

Thank you
Hans

Jesda
10-05-06, 06:58 AM
Only a grand?

Hmmm.... interesting.

Dr. Design
10-05-06, 12:29 PM
Hello,
This package is exclusively for the STS V-Series. Once we are able to get our hands on an XLR V we will produce a similar package. Please let us know if you have any other questions.
Thank you,

Dr. Design,
is this level 1 package only available for STS V or also XLR V?

Thank you
Hans

bakersdozen
10-09-06, 11:33 AM
[quote=Dr. Design;823429]
quote]

So, what's the story Doc? What kind of results did you see from the 500hp mod?

bakersdozen
10-19-06, 04:36 PM
[quote=Dr. Design;823429]
quote]

So, what's the story Doc? What kind of results did you see from the 500hp mod?

OK, we're over two weeks out from when you claimed you were doing track test work Dr. Design. Why haven't you posted any information on performance gains? Not exactly confidence inspiring - if it were good news, one would think you'd be posting like mad to spread the word.

Dr. Design
10-19-06, 06:00 PM
Hello,
Sorry for the delay in response. Unfortunately we got really busy with dealership vehicles, customer cars, and the SEMA Show. So we were unable to make it out to the track that weekend. We are going to have to reschedule our trip to the track until after SEMA. Don't worry as all power increases were documented on the dyno. Please let us know if there are any questions.
Thank you,

[quote=bakersdozen;827946]

OK, we're over two weeks out from when you claimed you were doing track test work Dr. Design. Why haven't you posted any information on performance gains? Not exactly confidence inspiring - if it were good news, one would think you'd be posting like mad to spread the word.

Dooman
10-20-06, 09:17 AM
Earlier you reported 18 whp from your intake, wouldn't that alone bring the crank HP up to about the 500 you have now?

Dr. Design
10-20-06, 11:58 AM
Hello,
Actually it would come out to be 491.14 crank hp. As you can see it is just shy of that mark. Keep in mind that are calculating that the STS V-Series has a 23% drivetrain loss. The 18 hp gain from the intake is hp measured at the wheels. Please let us know if there are any other questions.
Thank you,

Earlier you reported 18 whp from your intake, wouldn't that alone bring the crank HP up to about the 500 you have now?

C-TX-V
11-06-06, 07:20 PM
Dyno it.

Dr. Design
11-06-06, 07:57 PM
The vehicle has already been dyno'd. We are doing some fine tuning now, but we calculated the vehicle is already making around 505 crank hp. Please let us know if there are any questions.
Thank you,

First Class Motoring
11-06-06, 11:28 PM
what about some 1/4 mile times ?

Dr. Design
11-08-06, 08:27 PM
Just checked with our local track and the next test day open is Dec. 2nd. We will try to find another date sooner, but between the car shows and such the December date looks pretty good right now. In its current form the STS V-Series should run in the 12's consistently. Please let us know if there are any other questions.
Thank you,

what about some 1/4 mile times ?

thoredan
11-09-06, 12:11 AM
XLR-V ??? any time soon. Called in about 4 weeks ago and was told a ECM and other upgrades for XLR-V are right around the conner anytime soon?
Thanks
Danny

Dr. Design
11-09-06, 11:59 AM
Hello,
We are now searching for a test vehicle. We thought we had one lined up, but it fell through. We would offer a free intake for use of the test vehicle.
Thank you,

XLR-V ??? any time soon. Called in about 4 weeks ago and was told a ECM and other upgrades for XLR-V are right around the conner anytime soon?
Thanks
Danny

The Tony Show
11-28-06, 07:29 PM
Keep in mind that are calculating that the STS V-Series has a 23% drivetrain loss. Please let us know if there are any other questions.

How do you figure that drivetrain loss can be calculated at a static 23%? It takes X lbs/ft of torque to turn over the drivetrain at any given RPM. Increasing HP or Torque does not increase resistance in the drivetrain, so assuming that the STS-V dynos 361hp at the wheels (using your 23% loss estimate, 469 x 23% = ~108hp drivetrain loss) the correct formula for calculating crank HP after modifications would be [whp + 108 = crank HP]. Using [whp x .77 = crank HP] adds 23% "fluff" onto any gains that you've made.

Dr. Design
11-29-06, 06:27 PM
Hello,
The 23% drivetrain loss is not a constant but mearly a figure that our dyno results turned out. We are calculating that the vehicle is rated at 469 HP at the crank and the power measured at the wheels happens to be a 23% loss through the trans, rear end, gears, torque converter, etc... As you may know that dynos typically offer various readouts. We might try using a dynapak next time as it tends to be better suited for a true A-B comparision. Please let us know if there are any questions.
Thank you,

How do you figure that drivetrain loss can be calculated at a static 23%? It takes X lbs/ft of torque to turn over the drivetrain at any given RPM. Increasing HP or Torque does not increase resistance in the drivetrain, so assuming that the STS-V dynos 361hp at the wheels (using your 23% loss estimate, 469 x 23% = ~108hp drivetrain loss) the correct formula for calculating crank HP after modifications would be [whp + 108 = crank HP]. Using [whp x .77 = crank HP] adds 23% "fluff" onto any gains that you've made.

NeedForSpeed
01-08-07, 07:55 PM
I understand that D3 has been too busy to take the car to the drag strip. I would just like to see the final dyno results of the "500 package". I would like to see the #s & the power cruve of the package.
Have any of you out there bought the package? & how do you like it?

First Class Motoring
01-13-07, 01:02 PM
Have any of you out there bought the package? & how do you like it?[/quote]
yes i got there package and it's worth every peny.next smaller pully if i can find one.

WillySTS
01-13-07, 07:23 PM
I went out to D3 on friday and had a loooooong talk with James, a very nice and knowledgable fellow, and I will be getting "The Package" very soon.

CadV
01-14-07, 11:22 PM
What is the package?? Tune on the computer?

WillySTS
01-15-07, 01:10 AM
Air intake and computer mod both together net 31 rear wheel hp which should put at/near or over 500 hp net.

CadV
01-15-07, 03:57 PM
Air intake and computer mod both together net 31 rear wheel hp which should put at/near or over 500 hp net.

Thanks Willy

Kadonny
01-16-07, 05:22 PM
Thanks Willy

500 at the crank.

Take away 23% loss and you have 24 hp going to the wheels.

$ 1,000 for 23 hp is the real decision.

CadV
01-16-07, 06:06 PM
500 at the crank.

I PM'd doc about his stage 2 ecu and they are shooting for 100-150hp with the Air Intake. About the time testing is done for that package my car will be broke in :)

Dr. Design
01-16-07, 06:16 PM
Just to clarify the hp goals of 100-150hp would be done with an increase in boost, new injectors, stage 2 air intake system, and stage 2 ECU chip upgrade. Please let us know if there are any other questions.

Thank you,

I PM'd doc about his stage 2 ecu and they are shooting for 100-150hp with the Air Intake. About the time testing is done for that package my car will be broke in :)

annie
01-17-07, 05:31 PM
500 at the crank.

How much doed BARBUS, RINTECH, or AC Snitser charge for an are intake and chip for a benz or bmw?

I am sure it is at least $1000.

annie
01-17-07, 05:47 PM
I checked RENNTECH for ecu and chip for E55 and found this:

RENNtech ECU** $3,150
Part #54 211 00 30
Horsepower Gain 30 Torque Gain 30 lb-ft
Total Horsepower 499 @ 6,100 RPM Total Torque 546 lb-ft @ 2,650-4,500 RPM

Carbon Fiber Airbox $3,795
Part #09 211 00 75
Horsepower Gain 15 Torque Gain 20 lb-ft
Total Horsepower 484 @ 6,100 RPM Total Torque 536 lb-ft @ 2,650-4,500 RPM

That is $6945 for 45 Horsepower witch makes $1000 for 31 Horsepower look great.

Kadonny
01-18-07, 09:56 AM
Very good point.

Still, it's a decision to be made. No?

CadV
01-18-07, 10:34 AM
Very good point.

Still, it's a decision to be made. No?

I emailed EFILive about supporting this car and I am waiting to hear back. I bet I could get 50hp to the rear with some ECU tweaking.

For 1000 bucks I would expect more power from the ecu piece. I was able to get 30rwhp from EFILive on my CTS-V.

Dr. Design
01-18-07, 01:20 PM
Hello,
You certainly bring up a good point in regards to being able to extract more power from the ECU upgrade. However one must understand the intent behind the modification and that is to keep your vehicle warranty intact while yielding increases in HP and Torque. GM has dedicated a good amount of energy in coming up with the 10 year 100K mile warranty and the last thing we wanted to do was jeopardize that by reflashing the ECU. When (not if) the service department detects the ECU has been modified in any, way, shape, or form and serviceable or warranty parts related to that item would become void.

Here is a quick list of FAQ's regarding ECU tuning-

Reflash pros:

Typically yield more HP
Change shift points
Change RPM limiter

Reflash cons:

Will void warranty related to this component
Down time typically exceeding 2 days
Tune can be wiped out if service department updates ECU (very common)
ECU (Vehicles Brain) must be shipped to given locations and subject to damage during shipping.

Plug-n-play ECU Chip Upgrade pros:

Will not void warranty
No down time required
Installs in minutes
Can be uninstalled in a matter of seconds
Utilizes factory connectors
Can be upgraded for future modifications
Tuned to enhance and maximize performance modifications
Cadillac Service Department friendly
Tune will be retained even if service department updates factory ECU

Plug-n-play ECU Chip Upgrade cons:

Will not adjust shift points
Will not adjust RPM limiter

Thank you,

I emailed EFILive about supporting this car and I am waiting to hear back. I bet I could get 50hp to the rear with some ECU tweaking.

For 1000 bucks I would expect more power from the ecu piece. I was able to get 30rwhp from EFILive on my CTS-V.

caddyv8v
01-18-07, 03:56 PM
i have to hand it to you, dr design. your plug n play ecu upgrade is damn slick...nothing short. i don't think you guys realize how much a pita changing ecu's in a sts-v is if you are using core exchange or outright new from parts.

CadV
01-18-07, 09:53 PM
There is no question you guys went the right route Dr. I spent 800 on EFILive Commercial so I could reflash anytime I wanted. I hate the mail in ECU stuff because it is so limiting and so many things can happen. Your solution gives much more freedom and the ability to reuse the module for future updates is very smart.

Have you done a group buy on the 500hp package yet Dr? If enough people ordered you think we could get the price down in the 800-900 range?

WillySTS
01-18-07, 11:44 PM
Like I said...I had a Loooooong talk with him and I'm getting his package for my V.

VelocitySTSV
04-03-07, 10:02 PM
Willy STS, how did everything work out? Any updates for us?

WillySTS
04-03-07, 11:14 PM
Willy STS, how did everything work out? Any updates for us?

As a matter of fact, I do.

I purchased the Stage 1 ECU upgrade and the Air Intake about a month ago. The first thing I noticed was the car was easier, smoother to drive. The way my wife says it..."it doesn't lurch so much", ...the throttle response is more linear.

The next thing I noticed was more power, especially midrange, but top end power is increased also. I will say the top end power increase is not as easily discernable as the midrange power is simply because once you get to the higher RPMs it shifts or goes against the rev limiter, especially in the lower gears, but at higher speeds you can tell, because then you run out of room... fast! Another thing I have noticed it is now possible to be moving about 20 mph and you floor it, the downshift to 1st will start the wheels spinning and the car can hit the rev limiter before it shifts to second!...I don't remember it doing that before!

There is a slight increase in intake noise that the wife doesn't like, she says it sounds like the engine is laboring all the time, but if you are driving it, you know that it isn't.

So is it 31 RWHP, I would say, definately.:thumbsup:

I'm I happy with the result, definately, again.:bouncy:

Dr. Design..."YOU 'da MAN!!!":worship: