: To those celebrating....

Sandy
10-02-06, 12:49 PM
a very Happy Rosh Hashanah and a peaceful Yom Kippur in good health! Shalom !! :thumbsup: I hope ya didn't have to go to Yizkor Services~:crybaby:

CIWS
10-02-06, 01:00 PM
IBTL ? (Not sure how this will be treated by the Mods)

However thanks for the well wishes. How about the Shofar (http://www.jewfaq.org/sound/shofar.mid) :)

Sandy
10-02-06, 01:17 PM
I don't have one. Not wealthy for that! I drove the Caddy myself ;)

I wish to God I could go here >>>> :~fridge:

CIWS
10-02-06, 01:22 PM
I wish to God I could go here >>>> :~fridge:

Me too, but not until sunset :D

DBA-One
10-02-06, 01:52 PM
I'm a Gentile of the Jewish faith myself. I'm observing in everyway I possible can. I did however just realize I'm wearing leather shoes. I'm not a member of any particular Temple so I read the passages from Torah that we are supposed to. I can't wait to take a shower and eat after sundown!

Florian
10-02-06, 02:07 PM
Dannystang will be executing his mohle services orally this year.

F

Sandy
10-02-06, 02:10 PM
If you don't mind my asking, how are you a Gentile of the Jewish faith?
You are or did convert? Considering ? I'm Jewish by birth, but not very religious, at all. People can tell that I am Jewish because I consume only Kosher meat(s), and drive a Fleetwood. Otherwise people can't tell. I have a freind who is a devout Catholic, but he keeps kosher, because he says Christ did as well.

RobertCTS
10-02-06, 02:16 PM
Fasting is why I never could be Jewish.
Look what could happen!:eek:

http://usera.imagecave.com/BobsWork/thin.jpg

Sandy
10-02-06, 02:17 PM
"" Dannystang will be executing his mohle services orally this year. ""

THIS IS NOT NICE !!
{btw, Where does the line form} :tisk: :devil:

CIWS
10-02-06, 02:19 PM
Fasting is why I never could be Jewish.
Look what could happen!:eek:

http://usera.imagecave.com/BobsWork/thin.jpg

Hey look, Robert found a Runway Model....

DBA-One
10-02-06, 02:22 PM
I am a convert but not through "official channels" if you will, as I have not been recognized as a Jew by official conversion according to most Rabbi that I've talked to seem to insist on. One reason is because many a Rabbi has told me I would have to divorce my wife, who will not convert. My favored Rabbi tells me this is not so but whatever. No matter what my faith or the level of it, I can't see how I can claim to be Jewish outright if a proper conversion and recognition of such does not exists. Still, I know what I am and I know where I want to be.

However, I too keep it Kosher, I very much try to follow Jewish Law, I believe in the principles of G-d according to the Jewish faith. I do the best I can but I know it is simply not good enough. Like the shoes I have on today. I could have gone out and bought some canvas ones but I didn't. I haven't eaten, bathed, etc or done any of the no no's since before sundown yesterday with the excpetion of the shoes and I had some coffe today. I should know better.

Sandy
10-02-06, 02:24 PM
I think that pic came from a medical book on anorexic (I know misspelt) Seems I have seen it before.

I am fasting!!! !!! But my wife is eating a Milkey Way candy bar (She says it's for "Medical" reasons ! ) She is telling me how good it is & laughing like mad. :thehand: At sundown, we are going to an Italian restaurant for Onion & peppers PIZZA with Cold Beer. I like Grosch Beer and/or Rolling Rock.

Will I make it ? YES YES YES, and on the way home I will stop for a MILKEY WAY BAR, Damn it !!

DBA-One
10-02-06, 02:30 PM
Normally I can go a good length of time without eating but for some reason I notice it more today above most others. I guess when you can't as opposed to it being a choice makes a mental difference anyway.

Destroyer
10-02-06, 02:35 PM
I am a convert but not through "official channels" if you will, as I have not been recognized as a Jew by official conversion according to most Rabbi that I've talked to seem to insist on. One reason is because many a Rabbi has told me I would have to divorce my wife, who will not convert. My favored Rabbi tells me this is not so but whatever. No matter what my faith or the level of it, I can't see how I can claim to be Jewish outright if a proper conversion and recognition of such does not exists. Still, I know what I am and I know where I want to be.

However, I too keep it Kosher, I very much try to follow Jewish Law, I believe in the principles of G-d according to the Jewish faith. I do the best I can but I know it is simply not good enough. Like the shoes I have on today. I could have gone out and bought some canvas ones but I didn't. I haven't eaten, bathed, etc or done any of the no no's since before sundown yesterday with the excpetion of the shoes and I had some coffe today. I should know better.I could care less for any religion but can someone just become Jewish?. Excuse my ignorance but I thought Jewish people are from Israel.:confused:

CIWS
10-02-06, 02:35 PM
Also going on at this time it's day 10 of Ramadan. So there's actually quite a lot fasting right now. :)

DBA-One
10-02-06, 02:37 PM
I could care less for any religion but can someone just become Jewish?. Excuse my ignorance but I thought Jewish people are from Israel.:confused:

Jewish people are from everywhere! There are Christians in Israel as well.

Sandy
10-02-06, 02:59 PM
DBA, you are in actuallity, more "proper" in observing than I am. That person told you totally wrong. You certainly do NOT have to divorce your wife, and you wife can continue to observe any faith she wishes.
You spoke (my guess) to an Orthodox Rabbi. Why would you wish to be Orthodox? It's extremely demanding. Be Reform or Conservative. Being Conservative and NOT knowing how to read & speak Hebrew is very difficult. You can be as Religious as you wish and still be "just" Reform, as I am.
As you know, Orthidox Rabbis look down on the rest of us, as Non-Keepers of the faith - or deluding the faith. I think you'd like living a normal life, moreso that allowing the religion to govern your life. It would not be fair to your wife, either. I personally, am not very religious, but I do follow the food intake guidlines.

Sandy
10-02-06, 03:01 PM
Jewish people are from everywhere! There are Christians in Israel as well.

Yes, and I've EVEN seen some Jewish Folk in West Virginia !!!

DBA-One
10-02-06, 03:12 PM
DBA, you are in actuallity, more "proper" in observing than I am. That person told you totally wrong. You certainly do NOT have to divorce your wife, and you wife can continue to observe any faith she wishes.
You spoke (my guess) to an Orthodox Rabbi. Why would you wish to be Orthodox? It's extremely demanding. Be Reform or Conservative. Being Conservative and NOT knowing how to read & speak Hebrew is very difficult. You can be as Religious as you wish and still be "just" Reform, as I am.
As you know, Orthidox Rabbis look down on the rest of us, as Non-Keepers of the faith - or deluding the faith. I think you'd like living a normal life, moreso that allowing the religion to govern your life. It would not be fair to your wife, either. I personally, am not very religious, but I do follow the food intake guidlines.

I do understand this. I'm sort of in the middle of Reform and Conservative as far as what I value. I favor views from both while at times Reform can be a little too much of a "pick and chose" kind of thing it seems.

The Rabbi I most like to talk to is from Ireland of all places! He told me I most certainly did not have to divorce my wife as well as many other things. He is the kind of Rabbi I like to talk with because he is kind and can be bothered to answer my questions and give me guidance. He warned me a while back that I'd come across a lot of kooks on my path. He was right. I have come across some people whom, in their eyes, I'll never be good enough. Those are the kind of people that turn people away from religion no matter what the faith may be.

Sandy
10-02-06, 03:57 PM
Reform HAS become full of Pick 'n chosers, only because it sorta kinda allows it ~ B-U-T a person, you or others, can certainly chose how you wish to observe. I never really learned to read Hebrew and therefore I cannot follow along in the prayer books, and I don't like that. So, I chose Reform, and am happy with that choice. Many Reform Jews, do not keep Kosher. I do. Surprisingly, not because of religous beliefs, but because I studied the effects of food on the human system, and Kosher is way better. I (as a kid) had horrific stomach aches, and when I went 100% kosher, I began to improve. Have not had a S.Ache now in 32 years ~ This is good.
We visit the cemetary many times a year to say Kodish for our 4 parents and on Mother & Fathers day. I bring the Prayer Book.
People, no matter what religion &/or race will say "stuff" ~if you let them, they'll drive you nuts and you'll never be able to please them.
You only have to please YOU ~ well...and the wife, also. Don't listen to people who criticize, but do not offer guidence.....

DBA-One
10-02-06, 04:06 PM
The thing with Hebrew is that it is hard enough to study and remember all that there is to know in Judaism. Then throw a new language on top of it and you've got problems!

RobertCTS
10-02-06, 04:47 PM
Hmmm..interesting and different lounge material.:rolleyes:

danbuc
10-02-06, 04:51 PM
I went to Taco Bell and had the #9 Crunch Wrap Supreme combo at the mall on my lunch break with some fellow co-workers. Some Jew I am right?...haha.:highfive:

CIWS
10-02-06, 05:00 PM
I went to Taco Bell and had the #9 Crunch Wrap Supreme combo at the mall on my lunch break with some fellow co-workers. Some Jew I am right?...haha.:highfive:

That sounds good, and would go great with a Corona (light) ! But can have neither :( However come sunset it's some homemade pizzas made with wheat pita bread. Uummmmm

DBA-One
10-02-06, 05:02 PM
I haven't decided what I'm going to have yet. Maybe something messican.

CIWS
10-02-06, 05:21 PM
I haven't decided what I'm going to have yet. Maybe something messican.

You're in Florida too which means you'll have sunset roughly an hour before me........:eyebrow:

I make mine with wheat pita, a little tomato sauce, a little On the Border picante sauce, some smoked turkey, and a 5 cheese blend on top with a dash of jalapeno Tabasco :D

DBA-One
10-02-06, 05:25 PM
That sounds good. My mom lived in Plano and then Coppell(SP) back in the day. I always wanted to move to the DFW area but it has never worked out. I love the whole area so it is no wonder that Dallas is my favorite show.

CIWS
10-02-06, 05:29 PM
Plano is where I am currently :) Although I lived in the ghetto of N. Dallas for 15 years before moving here about 1.5 years ago.

DBA-One
10-02-06, 05:36 PM
Back when I'd go to visit my mom in the late 70's to late 80's Plano was getting built up. I hear it is nothing like it was then. Lot's of money floating around there. My mom and her husband we "new" money like that back then. Hell, she was "rich" at that time but I hear it has gone to new levels.

Sandy
10-02-06, 06:23 PM
We are leaving for Onion & Green Red Pepper Pizza, a tossed salad and Grosch & Rolling Rock beer. Will get to go, upon leaving a 1/2 order of Italian Garlic Bread. Yummmmmmy See ya later :thumbsup:

CIWS
10-02-06, 06:36 PM
Back when I'd go to visit my mom in the late 70's to late 80's Plano was getting built up. I hear it is nothing like it was then. Lot's of money floating around there. My mom and her husband we "new" money like that back then. Hell, she was "rich" at that time but I hear it has gone to new levels.

There's definately some money around here, although like most everywhere else that's started moving north as expansion occurs. Frisco is spilling over with some of it now.

Sandy- Sounds like a good dinner :) I've got about an hour left till sunset.

gdwriter
10-02-06, 07:32 PM
Shalom, Sandy! Haven't seen you around in a while.

Blessings to you and all the others observing the Holy Days (this from someone who grew up Southern Baptist and is now a practicing Lutheran).

And in that spirit, I give you the Jewish version of the Budweiser "Wazzup" commercial:

Shalom.mpeg (http://www.gdwriter.q45.org/shalom.mpeg)

http://www.gdwriter.com/images/ethel.jpg

CadillacGurl
10-02-06, 07:53 PM
SHAALOOOOOOOM!
I like the rabbi doing the "baptism" service "Yeah I'm just slicing and dicing..."

Sandy
10-02-06, 07:55 PM
THAT'S HYSTERICAL!!!! 'Ya, we broke the fast with (as planned) an Onion 'm Red Pepper Pizza some beer (Rolling Rock Dark) and a tossed salad. The place is always empty on a Monday night. Tonight? Packed with all Jews. Nobody wanted to leave Synagogue and go home & COOK ! (Heaven Forbid, says my wife) ~ Actually, tradition dictates FISH, as the "proper" break the fast food. White Fish, Lox, Sole, and the like. We wanted ~HOT~ & spicy.

Adam
10-02-06, 08:57 PM
Sandy, a very Happy Rosh Hashanah to you!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-02-06, 09:42 PM
Happy Rosh Hashanah!!

I'm surprised this religious thread lasted this long!!

Adam
10-02-06, 10:34 PM
We all love Sandy and its his thread. so nothing but respect :).

Sandy
10-02-06, 10:51 PM
Thank you all for all of your grand thoughts & wishes & for keeping this so civil. Take a bow ! It was a good day, and it's 11:40PM in Jersey and I am going to sleep. As Always, all my best to all of you, all my friends across the airwaves.

:bouncy: :) :bouncy: :)

DopeStar 156
10-03-06, 05:01 AM
Fasting sucks. I've only had to do it for surgical reasons but whenever you're doing it, everyone around you has like all the world's best food.....

How are you able to use a computer? I thought you weren't allowed to use anything mechanical/electronic?

CIWS
10-03-06, 06:52 AM
Fasting sucks. I've only had to do it for surgical reasons but whenever you're doing it, everyone around you has like all the world's best food.....

True dat, or they take the opportunity (all in good fun) to make sure to eat and drink good stuff in front of you, knowing you cannot partake. :)

How are you able to use a computer? I thought you weren't allowed to use anything mechanical/electronic?

Different fasts have different requirements, for me (Ramadan) it is no eating,drinking (not even water),smoking, or sexual relations, from sunrise to sunset during the entire month (28-30 days) and you have to try and refrain from unkind words, backbiting (saying things behind people's backs),etc . This is another reason I'm glad I quit smoking years ago. It would seem to be torturous to go 12 hours without smoking, then can smoke, then can't again for 12 hours, then can, on and off for approx 30 days. I know of some who just give it up completely during the month.

Sandy
10-03-06, 06:59 AM
I'm (we're) "Reformed" ~ The guidelines you speak of are the guidlines for the Orthodox. There are 4 "levels" (not really the correct terminology, but it will have to do).... Hasidec, Orthodox, Conservstive & Reformed. Basically, you are free to chose what level of "devotion" you aspire to. There's even much leeway within each group. The group you are referring to would be the most religious, with the uncut sideburns, Hassedic.
Generally speaking you are what your parents are (were).....
I can operate any machinery, drive, heck, I could even eat pork, (if I wanted to ~ (I don't). I also cannot read Hebrew, which is why I am NOT "Conservative" ~ see list above.... Orthodox & Hasidic take away too many freedoms of modern life, and they are not for me.

Not too dissimiliar from Catholics. They are supposed to eat Fish on Friday and how many don't? The Super Religious in many faiths, look down upon those who aren't, as sinners. We have THAT too, in Judiasim.
The Orthodox would consider me "Christian" ~ :tisk:
I know of a Rabbi (of course, Reform) who rides his Harley to Synagogue, and plays his guitar during the Service !

CIWS
10-03-06, 07:10 AM
I also cannot read Hebrew, which is why I am NOT "Conservative"

Can you speak Hebrew Sandy ?

DBA-One
10-03-06, 08:27 AM
I ended up having the messican meal. I was more relieved to be able to take a shower. I was starting to get a bit ripe.

dp102288
10-03-06, 08:33 AM
Well, happy Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur to all our members celebrating.

Its good to see that some people are still religious.

Sandy
10-03-06, 12:26 PM
No, I can't speak any Hebrew. I can curse like a longshoreman in Yiddish, however, that I "acquired" from my (extremely "colorfull") Grandmother. :)

CIWS
10-03-06, 12:32 PM
Ahh, cool. Was just curious since I know folks who can speak languages without reading them because they were brought up speaking them, but learned to write english. Of course I also know a couple of guys who can play the hell out of some musical instruments but cannot read music. :)

DBA-One
10-03-06, 12:51 PM
I'm surprised this religious thread lasted this long!!

A good reason I'm no longer a paying member. This thread is a bonding one, not a bashing one. And if the few of us who share a common faith can't discuss it without it being locked, why would I pay for that? I know politics and religion are a no no here but it really is no different than a Merry Christmas thread. You'd go for that, right?

DopeStar 156
10-04-06, 01:09 AM
Different fasts have different requirements, for me (Ramadan) it is no eating,drinking (not even water),smoking, or sexual relations, from sunrise to sunset during the entire month

No..... I fail..... LOL! I'll just stick to being a heathen.....

CIWS
10-04-06, 06:51 AM
No..... I fail..... LOL! I'll just stick to being a heathen.....

:D

Just means you have to play catch up when the sun goes down. :thumbsup:

Sandy
10-04-06, 01:02 PM
I may be wrong on this, & I admit that, and maybe I'll be corrected by my "Brothers" herein, but.....I am if the opinion that for Reformed Judiasim the only thing one has to give up is eating for 24 hours on Yom Kippur. Now, the religion does NOT want an individual to suffer, so IF that person is ill, recovering, pregnant, elderly or in some other way "needy" of substance, they are forgiven in the eyes of G-D, and may take substance. To "Fast" for the day is to offer up something of value by doing without. Our maker above does not want our health to suffer, so it it's a hardship, one is forgiven.

That is how I understood in in Hebrew School. Smoking & drinking booze is strictly forbidden, for the 24 hours.
{Sorry, DopeStar} :)

gdwriter
10-04-06, 01:36 PM
I found the Shalom parody on YouTube: YouTube - Shalom!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKuYxBQUbhg)

Couldn't get the embedded YouTube to work. Not sure what I did wrong.

Shalom!

http://www.gdwriter.com/images/ethel.jpg

DBA-One
10-04-06, 08:40 PM
I may be wrong on this, & I admit that, and maybe I'll be corrected by my "Brothers" herein, but.....I am if the opinion that for Reformed Judiasim the only thing one has to give up is eating for 24 hours on Yom Kippur. Now, the religion does NOT want an individual to suffer, so IF that person is ill, recovering, pregnant, elderly or in some other way "needy" of substance, they are forgiven in the eyes of G-D, and may take substance. To "Fast" for the day is to offer up something of value by doing without. Our maker above does not want our health to suffer, so it it's a hardship, one is forgiven.

That is how I understood in in Hebrew School. Smoking & drinking booze is strictly forbidden, for the 24 hours.
{Sorry, DopeStar} :)

To the best of my knowledge, you are correct. There are exceptions for the ill, young kids, women in "a family way", etc. The Creator does not want us to suffer but those of us who can afford, in a worldly way, to observe are expected to do so.

Sandy
10-05-06, 01:47 PM
Thanks for affirming that ~I thought so, but was not 100%