: Crank micropolishing/where to buy parts?

botboy
02-23-04, 12:11 AM
I've read that because of a rolled design the cadillac northstars cannot have their cranks reground (that and no oversized bearings). When i pulled apart the bottom end of my northstar that I'm rebuilding, I noticed some very very very tiny scratches on a rod bearing surface, I'm curious as to whether or not I can have this crank micropolished to eliminate them (they aren't severe or deep and I probably wouldn't have a problem reassembling the engine "as-is" but I'm paranoid and I don't want rod knock 10k down the road)

Also, where can I get good (as in, not dealer) prices on:
Bottom end bearings (rod & main...best I've found is chrfab at $175+sh for set, dealer wants $30/rod and $50/main for them)
Rings (dealer wants $39/piston = $312 of my hard earned dollars!)
Oil pump (haven't checked price but god only knows what the dealer wants for one)

BeelzeBob
02-23-04, 01:37 PM
I've read that because of a rolled design the cadillac northstars cannot have their cranks reground (that and no oversized bearings). When i pulled apart the bottom end of my northstar that I'm rebuilding, I noticed some very very very tiny scratches on a rod bearing surface, I'm curious as to whether or not I can have this crank micropolished to eliminate them (they aren't severe or deep and I probably wouldn't have a problem reassembling the engine "as-is" but I'm paranoid and I don't want rod knock 10k down the road)

Also, where can I get good (as in, not dealer) prices on:
Bottom end bearings (rod & main...best I've found is chrfab at $175+sh for set, dealer wants $30/rod and $50/main for them)
Rings (dealer wants $39/piston = $312 of my hard earned dollars!)
Oil pump (haven't checked price but god only knows what the dealer wants for one)
You can micropolish the crank without any problem...you just do not want to grind to even the smallest undersize on the crank pins and journals as the residual compressive stress in the rolled fillets will cause all sorts of problems.

No need to replace the oil pump. Trust me, unless it injested some healthy debris it is fine. They just do not wear out. The gerotor design eliminates the "worn out oil pump" syndrome. Just make sure that the mating surfaces of the pump halves fit together well and that the mating surface of the oil pump to the block fits flat together.

botboy
02-24-04, 12:00 AM
Called around today, Napa wants $157 for a set of rings for this beast. Can anybody beat that?