: Air Filter

'01CateraSport
09-28-06, 03:59 PM
I am looking at buying a K&N Air Filter off of Ebay for my '01 Catera Sport. It is the one where you need to remove your entire airbox, and the air filter is unprotected under your hood. There will be no airbox running this set-up. Would this be a good set-up for my Catera to gain some mroe hp and nice sound? Would ther ebe any risks or harms in running it w/o the airbox? Anyone ever done this or currently running there Catera's like this? ALL input is greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance!!!

todd2fst4u
09-28-06, 05:06 PM
i'm personally not using that filter, but i know alot of people do. it has minimal performance gains, but its supposed to give the engine a more throaty sound. no real risks if you use it correctly. don't over oil, dont under oil the filter. over oiling could cause damage to the MAF sensor some people say, and under oiling could allow too much dirt to pass through the filter. i personally am just running the k&n stock replacement filter. the one you use with the air box. by using the one without the airbox, you are getting air that has been heated by the engine. hope this helps.

guardian
09-28-06, 05:40 PM
. . . no real risks if you use it correctly. don't over oil, dont under oil the filter. over oiling could cause damage to the MAF sensor some people say, and under oiling could allow too much dirt to pass through the filter. i personally am just running the k&n stock replacement filter. the one you use with the air box . . . . . .

This is stricly MHO, free and worth every penny. But I strongly agree with your approach. Your idea to keep oil, and all the oil additives, away from the MAF sensor is flat smart.:worship:

Call me crazy (you won't be the first), but the cleaner and purer the air passing over that heated element the longer it will last. All opinion, no proof; just what's in my gut.:vomit:

'01CateraSport
09-28-06, 07:05 PM
i'm personally not using that filter, but i know alot of people do. it has minimal performance gains, but its supposed to give the engine a more throaty sound. no real risks if you use it correctly. don't over oil, dont under oil the filter. over oiling could cause damage to the MAF sensor some people say, and under oiling could allow too much dirt to pass through the filter. i personally am just running the k&n stock replacement filter. the one you use with the air box. by using the one without the airbox, you are getting air that has been heated by the engine. hope this helps.

So did you notice any gains with the airbox and just the K&N filter still usign the airbox?? Is it worth the money to get a K&N or should i go for the extra bucks and get the one that elmiminates the airbox altogether? Which one is better? Thanks

todd2fst4u
09-28-06, 11:22 PM
i'd personally just get the k&n stock replacement, keep the airbox. the other one just sucks in a bunch of hot air. the stock replacement one gives you the nice advantage over regular paper filters because you can clean and reuse them.

'01CateraSport
09-29-06, 11:10 AM
i'd personally just get the k&n stock replacement, keep the airbox. the other one just sucks in a bunch of hot air. the stock replacement one gives you the nice advantage over regular paper filters because you can clean and reuse them.

Is there anything out there that replaces the stock airbox lid alone like a k&n one where you can put like a precharger on the lid instead of using the airbox lid?? I tihnk that would be a good idea

'01CateraSport
09-29-06, 04:33 PM
Just went and ordered a K&N stock replacement filter from advance Auto. Right around $50....hope it's worth the money

todd2fst4u
09-29-06, 05:08 PM
i'd suggest buying the k&n recharger oil when you get the filter. then you'll have it on hand when you need to clean the filter.
http://knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=99-5000

Resilient
10-02-06, 02:55 PM
Same here K&N stock replacement filter... (have my recharge kit)... rather pay the money for something that stays that close to the same price each year for a paper, use and throw out filter.

'01CateraSport
10-02-06, 05:40 PM
Bought and installed the K&N replacement filter, and love it. You can totally the power and sound difference!!! I owuld def. recommend this to anyone!!! Best mod so far!!